U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,145,575 times

Advertisements

Well, we're not Catholic so that may have been part of the problem.

There is actually a realtor that I know in the Waterville area who buys the statues by the case and gives them to all of her sellers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:06 PM

121 posts, read 279,195 times
What do you do with St. Joseph after the house sells? Dig him up? Or leave him there for the poor new home owner to discover? Can you imagine what they would think? I need a little more info before I try this one.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:15 PM

612 posts, read 1,063,529 times
When the property sells, you MUST dig up the statue, clean it, and carry it with you to your new home, where it should be kept in a place of honour. Failure to do this will lead to trouble with the sale or trouble with the new home or property.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:26 PM

222 posts, read 465,979 times
Default God's Light

We bought a piece of property in Maine that people would think we are crazy for buying. It is an old cape (1799) in Perry that needs total restoration. But its roofline is still so straight. When I saw it for the first time on an obscure site on the internet, while living in texas, it was as if it was touched by God's Light. We bought the place sight unseen from Texas. When I got to see it in person I was in awe. The light was magic and the house was one filled with love, even if no one had lived there for many years. I have a commitment to fix this home to its former glory. I walked around and could feel the calm loving atmosphere of the cottage. Hopefully it will be my retreat and the place our out of town vistors can come to to heal their souls soon. Always trust that voice (feeling) about a place! I do.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,145,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnME View Post
When the property sells, you MUST dig up the statue, clean it, and carry it with you to your new home, where it should be kept in a place of honour. Failure to do this will lead to trouble with the sale or trouble with the new home or property.

We never gave it another thought until we were already in Wisconsin. Hmm, maybe that's why we've hated it here so much. We jinxed it by forgetting to dig up a plastic statue!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
What do you do with St. Joseph after the house sells? Dig him up? Or leave him there for the poor new home owner to discover? Can you imagine what they would think? I need a little more info before I try this one.

Information for you...

http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/stjoe.html

Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Math Teacher:

Your house sounds similar to the one we bought in Eastport. It was a house we looked in the windows at, and bought two weeks later without ever stepping foot in the house itself. It was totally renovated with love. I talked to the owner and he said he hoped we love the house as much as he did when he renovated it.

We looked at many homes, and passed through Perry numerous times. I saw quite a few that were structurally sound, they just needed some TLC. My father was a builder, and I know exactly what to look for, just as you, a straight roof line. The rest is just cosmetic. I suspect that I am a bit older than you guys, and didn't have the time (or energy) to renovate a home myself, especially being 1500+ miles from there.

I think when you see the home that you want, you take the leap of faith and just go for it. If the time is right, everything goes according to plan. We closed via FEDEX. Good luck in renovation! By the way, when I went to have water turned on in the home, Passamaquoddy Water told me that no water had been used in 10 years. The previous owner remodeled it, but never lived in it.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM

To add to DH... Maine4.us:

I loved the house as soon as we drove up to it. It looked like a Maine cottage with the cedar shingles on the outside and when I looked through the windows and front door, you could see the open floor plan and lovely floors and the "light" caught my attention. The price was out of our budget so we did not make an appointment to see the inside. I had faith that circumstances would change if it was the house meant for us. The first week of September Danny got a call that the price had been reduced and the realtor sent us pictures of each room of the cottage. I was attracted to the "light" coming in the windows..."the light and the view" was what I was looking for and then I received the "sense of knowing" that it was restored with love and we were meant to live in that house.

Last edited by Eastport4me; 01-01-2008 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: insert heading Maine4.us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine