U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:57 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You can't hunt beaver, Forest. However, if the game warden is too busy to live trap a nuisance beaver on your property you can sometimes get a permit to shoot them. A compromise alternative is when the wardens put a drain pipe through the dam and put up a wire fence around the end of the pipe. They call it their "beaver deceiver" and beavers have not yet figured out how to overcome it.
We had beaver issues, then a neighbor asked to trap them.

No more beaver issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,908 times
Talking Great- Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That is the million dollar question, it is pure luck from what I have seen. I know people who put in for one every single year, and have never been drawn, and I know a person who has put in for 2 drawings and has had his name pulled both times. I've never had my name drawn and quit trying years ago.

Up in the area you are coming to there is some very good hunting, fishing is dependent on where/what you are used to. I was born and raised around the Great Lakes and one of the trophy trout rivers in the US was less than 1/2 a mile from my house, so a few 10-18" brookies around here don't do much for me, but I still love getting out there.

There are some truly big deer in the Limestone area and I've seen one going toward Fort Fairfield the other day that was larger than any I have ever seen before. I had to take a second look because I thought it was a young Moose at first glance. Most people up this direction "heater hunt"for deer and never leave the comfort of their vehicle. If he likes to get out and really hunt, there are many, many places that hardly get any hunting pressure. The Partridge hunting is very good as well.

Fishing is a different animal altogether up in this area. Most of the fishing in the rivers and brooks are for Brook Trout. There are some lakes that have Lake Trout (Togue), as well as other species. In between Limestone and Caribou is the Little Madawaska river and it is one of my personal favorites to fish. Both walking/wading and floating with the canoe. Biggest Brookie I ever caught was in the Little Madawaska river, 24" and fat as could be. If nothing more than a couple of fish types are fine, with smaller sizes are fine, then the fishing is fine. If you are used to a big variety of species with some real big ones tossed in on a regular basis, it may be a bit disappointing. If you are like me, and have the mindset that fishing is just the vehicle/excuse to getting out on a beautiful lake or river, there is no place better. I like going out in the boat and having the whole lake to myself usually, I like not having every inch of shoreline developed. In that way northern Maine is far better than most other places in the country.
Scott, You have been so much help to both my hubby and I. Thank you for being so wonderful. The pictures are wonderful and I can't stop looking and now with the hunting tips. Bert will be thrilled when he gets home from work tonight. He is not a heater hunter. He LOVES to be out in the woods. Getting a deer to help fill the freezer is just a big bonus. He wants to do it all again. We both love to fish and have so looked at the lakes and ponds and rivers around Limestone. We fish for large mouth bass down here and are total catch and releasers. Mainly because there are only a couple kinds of fish we like to eat.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:06 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbymoulton View Post
Scott, You have been so much help to both my hubby and I. Thank you for being so wonderful. The pictures are wonderful and I can't stop looking and now with the hunting tips. Bert will be thrilled when he gets home from work tonight. He is not a heater hunter. He LOVES to be out in the woods. Getting a deer to help fill the freezer is just a big bonus. He wants to do it all again. We both love to fish and have so looked at the lakes and ponds and rivers around Limestone. We fish for large mouth bass down here and are total catch and releasers. Mainly because there are only a couple kinds of fish we like to eat.
Thanks, but just doing what anybody else who is close would do I think. When you get up here, let me know and I'll take a day and drag you two out to some good fishing spots if interested. Maybe even pass a couple of hunting areas on the way.

Is Bert handy with wood? If so I have some row boat plans that make a good winter project and you end up with a content hubby all winter, and a nice fishing boat in the Spring that will last longer than I will on this Earth.

It is hard to beat a fresh Brook Trout fillet fried in butter and served with a steaming baked potato smothered in either butter or sour cream. If it is in season the perfect topper is fresh corn on the cob for an additional side. Simple meal, but better than any in a restaurant. Best ever is to make a small fire right on the river bank and cook the trout on a flat rock placed over the coals and flames. Got my mouth watering just thinking about it.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,908 times
Quote:
Thanks, but just doing what anybody else who is close would do I think. When you get up here, let me know and I'll take a day and drag you two out to some good fishing spots if interested. Maybe even pass a couple of hunting areas on the way.

Is Bert handy with wood? If so I have some row boat plans that make a good winter project and you end up with a content hubby all winter, and a nice fishing boat in the Spring that will last longer than I will on this Earth.

It is hard to beat a fresh Brook Trout fillet fried in butter and served with a steaming baked potato smothered in either butter or sour cream. If it is in season the perfect topper is fresh corn on the cob for an additional side. Simple meal, but better than any in a restaurant. Best ever is to make a small fire right on the river bank and cook the trout on a flat rock placed over the coals and flames. Got my mouth watering just thinking about it.
I have been down here in Florida way too long...I forgot just how wonderful most all Maine peole are and you have been an excellent reminder of that.
Bert is real handy with wood and MANY other things. (his favorite saying about himself is "if the wonen can't find you handsome they better find you handy") I find him handsome ...but he says he sees in the mirror just fine.
I have never eaten brook trout and I am willing to give it a try. It would be wonderful if it were something we like. BUT---I DO LOVE to Fish!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM

281 posts, read 943,106 times
Quote:

OMG!!! With the crispy tails??? and Fiddle heads??? i had to move to georgia...I could cry at the memory! Nothin like a coupie good brookies!!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:04 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
I use to like to do the brook trout in foil with butter and lemon. So simple and delicious.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM

406 posts, read 1,489,048 times
Default wetland question

Quote:
Not in Maine. Once you get above the Volvo Line (above Orono) you can drive all week and never see a "No Trespassing" sign. In fact, you will see signs that say,

Welcome sports.
If your land is not posted or gated, please use mine.
If your land is posted or gated, please use yours.

You can buy these signs at Smith's Store in Springfield, Maine.

It is still polite to ask before hunting somebody's farm. The vast timberlands in Maine are open to hunt. However, if you want to bait bear you MUST ask the land owner. There have been problems with bear guides baiting the same areas for the same bears. Guided bear hunts are expensive and to avoid conflicts land owners have had to keep bear hunters separated from each other.

There's some land for sale in Unity that's priced very low.
How are wetlands for hunting? Do wetlands ever "dry out"? Can you build on it...like a camp?
Is anyone familiar with this area?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
"Wetlands" can mean many things in Maine. It can be a big marshy bog that is flooded all year. It can be a cedar swamp that floods briefly in the spring, but you can walk through for much of the year without getting a wet foot. It can be just about anywhere with inadequate drainage for a septic system.

That said, most properties considered "wet" can have enough high ground for a home or camp. Deer like cedar swamps because they have food water and shelter from the wind withough having to leave.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 PM

406 posts, read 1,489,048 times
Quote:
"Wetlands" can mean many things in Maine. It can be a big marshy bog that is flooded all year. It can be a cedar swamp that floods briefly in the spring, but you can walk through for much of the year without getting a wet foot. It can be just about anywhere with inadequate drainage for a septic system.

That said, most properties considered "wet" can have enough high ground for a home or camp. Deer like cedar swamps because they have food water and shelter from the wind withough having to leave.
Thank you.

When we entered the area there was a sign that said something like "welcome to friends of unity wetlands". If they erected a sign I'm thinking it's probably on the wet side?

Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
There are a few code words to beware of.

"Friends" This usually means they like what you have and want to control what you have even though they don't own what you have.

"Concerned" This means they are concerned that you might actually be the one to decide what you what to do with the land you own. This concerns them.

"Citizens" Any time you see the words 'citizens to' or 'citizens for' in a group name you can expect to see concerned and friends somewhere in there along with it.

If the owner of the property is a member of one of these "friends" groups, have a very good title search done because the land is likely to be contaminated by more conditions, covenants, codicils, easements and restrictions than you can shake a stick at. They want to sell the land to somebody who only wants to take pictures of wild flowers on it.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 01-03-2008 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine