U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:14 PM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times

Advertisements

Our dog likes corn cobs. She eats the stripped cobs if given an opportunity.

This evening for dinner we had BBQ chicken and corn-on-the-cob. Alas some of the corn was not very good. My DW was done with hers after only one bite. The dog loves to lick the plates before we put them into the dishwasher, so my DW put her dish on the floor.

This stupid dog stripped all of the corn kernels off from the cob, leaving a layer of corn kernel debris about two foot in diameter. Then she swallowed the cob.

We have seen before that she likes to eat cob, but we assumed that given the chance to eat corn kernels she would.

Now she has gone outside to bed down in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 05:32 PM

191 posts, read 451,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Then she swallowed the cob.
wow..swallowing the whole cob...seems kind of scary!
Not sure if this next story is a stupid pet trick or smart one....but we had a shep/lab mix that loved to sleep at the foot of our bed. Our neighbors (an elderly couple) often take our dogs in their home when we travel. One of those times I explained if "Brandy" got on their bed...tell her OFF - she understands and will get down. Well the woman got up at night to use the restroom and came back to find Brandy in her bed - stretched out head on her pillow. She didn't want to disturb the dog...."she looked so cute"...so the woman spent the rest of the night in their guest room. Her husband woke up in the morning, rolled over to find a dog looking him square in face on his wife's pillow. Have I got great dog sitters or what.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,979,988 times
I grew up with the most wonderful friendship of several cats. And one was this huge orange tabby male "Taffy." He weighed 25 pounds. He wasn't fat but he was unusually very large. One of my little friends was afraid to come into our house, because he was afraid of our big cat But anyways, Taffy went nuts over corn cobs and cantalope. Cats are carnivores and normally eat nothing but meat. But this guy _loved_ corn and cantalope. And yes, we gave him some every time we had either, and he would hoover it up. But when we had either corn or cantalope, Dad had to take the cobs or cantalope rinds out to the big metal trash can in the driveway, instead of the smaller one on the back porch. Otherwise Taffy would overturn the can and pull out all stuff inside

Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 PM

191 posts, read 451,780 times
ok one more, then I'll try to restrain myself. ... DH and i got home one evening and I picked up the satellite remote to watch movie on HBO. I was locked out...parental controls had been activated. My husband and I live here alone - NO KIDS - No need for parental control. Then i noticed the little puppy teeth marks on the remote. Turns out our newest addition - a germ shep puppy, had taken it upon himself to play with the remote. DH and i flipped a coin - I lost and got to call the satellite company and ask them deactivate the parental controls because our puppy accidently hit some buttons while chewing the remote. We still aren't sure how he did it.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,914,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I grew up with the most wonderful friendship of several cats. And one was this huge orange tabby male "Taffy." He weighed 25 pounds. He wasn't fat but he was unusually very large. One of my little friends was afraid to come into our house, because he was afraid of our big cat But anyways, Taffy went nuts over corn cobs and cantalope. Cats are carnivores and normally eat nothing but meat. But this guy _loved_ corn and cantalope. And yes, we gave him some every time we had either, and he would hoover it up. But when we had either corn or cantalope, Dad had to take the cobs or cantalope rinds out to the big metal trash can in the driveway, instead of the smaller one on the back porch. Otherwise Taffy would overturn the can and pull out all stuff inside
I have had several cats that like canteloupe and one that would steal corn on the cob given half a chance. One day I had folks over, and in the time it took to come out of the kitchen and say supper was ready, she had jumped up, got her corn and before I could turn to go back into the kitchen, she walked by, this big ear in her mouth, heading for the open door. My guests were so surprised that one of them commented about "that DOG stealing an ear of corn!" and they all did a double take at my calm "not a dog, Isis is a cat" response.

But I have never had one eat the cobs. I did have an Aust. Shepherd that would eat anything that wasn't nailed down... my wooden recorder... a large sand-candle... and what took the cake, a can of Sterno, CAN AND ALL! I took her to the vet, he just said to watch her stools for signs of blood since she was showing no ill effects. I had some day-glow crayons, though, that made her "doggie droppings" very easy to spot in the yard... she would also climb the chain link fence to go visit the dog next door. One day I caught her, BALANCED on the round metal rail on top, and she turned and CLIMBED DOWN. I am not putting you on.. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
I taught our Lab to do "cute"--which is really to do the sit up and beg thing but she begs all the time, so I didn't want to call it begging....anyway the problem is this: she gets excited, and sometimes the paws go waaaay up--high 5 up---and before you know it, she's tipped over backwards!

one of the other things is the sliding across the kitchen floor after a toy....she comes around the corner too fast and boom! the sounds make you laugh as much as the sight....toenails against the floor trying to get the grip and then the soft thump as she slides into the cabinets!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:06 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,928,158 times
I guess the silliest thing our Great Pyre does is sitting on top of her big dog house. She looks like Snoopy, just perched up there like that. The silly thing won't go IN the house, just sits or lays on top of it!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
I just went into Jake's room to see what he was building with the legos (he's trying to stay up to ring in the New Year).....the Lab had crawled under the down comforter and has her head sticking out from under it, over the edge of the bed watching him build!! lol....he has a stuffed animal black lab, and at first I didn't realize it was her, I thought it was the stuffed animal! what a goof!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:21 PM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
You can drive a cat absolutely bonkers with a laser pointer. Just wiggle the light across the floor and up some stairs. Shut it off just before the cat catches it. You can do it for days and then one day the cat will take no notice whatever.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 PM

528 posts, read 2,176,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Forest, you might not be aware that corn cobs can be dangerous for dogs...they can cause an intestinal blockage, requiring surgery. If you google corn cobs and dogs you'll find lots of info on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine