Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:07 PM

406 posts, read 1,650,104 times

Advertisements

Hello board~

Since this place has been a wealth of info for me...I thought I'd bug you guys again for help with a snow blower/thrower since this will be our first full winter in Maine.

What HP would you suggest I purchase? I'm thinking I would rather spend the money up front and do it right. We were going to get a plow for the truck because our driveway is about 100 yards long...but we decided to hire someone to plow this year and get the blower (it's also a hike to the driveway from the house).

So...any advice you all could give us would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

BTW for those that I've talked to in PM and knew we hadn't sold our house...we finally closed on our Cape house so we are OFFICIAL now! Maine is our HOME! YAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 05:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,581,236 times
John Deere, Ariens and Toro are all reliable brands. Get at least 10 horsepower and get one with big wheels. Make sure the wheels are out over an inch from the frame so you can put chains on there if needed. If you have a hill you will need chains to get up the hill when there is ice under the snow. Let the machine do the work. Don't wrestle the machine. Get one with a curved chute. The straight ones with a deflector at the top don't throw snow as far. You want a nice unobstructed discharge that will shoot snow 40 feet.

I have the ultimate snow blower. It's 5 feet wide and goes on my Kubota 32 horse Diesel 4 WD tractor. It will drive snow 50 feet horizontally into the woods and it gladdens the cockles of my pea pickin heart.

The Old Farmer's Almanac says we will have a winter slightly warmer than normal and with more precipitation than normal. That means SNOW and we are due for a real old fashioned winter.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:52 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,570,513 times
Save your money and get the plow. Blowers are nice if you have a short paved driveway
My driveway is 100 feet long and dirt I have a snow blower but usually end up on the wrong side of a shovel. In the heavy wet stuff a snow blowe doesnt have enough downward bite

Old 10-14-2007, 05:07 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,494,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
Hello board~

Since this place has been a wealth of info for me...I thought I'd bug you guys again for help with a snow blower/thrower since this will be our first full winter in Maine.

What HP would you suggest I purchase? I'm thinking I would rather spend the money up front and do it right. We were going to get a plow for the truck because our driveway is about 100 yards long...but we decided to hire someone to plow this year and get the blower (it's also a hike to the driveway from the house).

So...any advice you all could give us would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

BTW for those that I've talked to in PM and knew we hadn't sold our house...we finally closed on our Cape house so we are OFFICIAL now! Maine is our HOME! YAY!
Where did you settle in Maine?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:17 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,919,995 times
Snow Blowers. My plow truck will need an engine this year, and last year I had the transmission replaced. I am thinking of going back to my snow blower.

IF I blow snow, I will have a long driveway, and a gravel, woods road that will equal almost 1/3 mile, plus the yard area and the walkway across the lawn that I plow so that the cats can get some outsidekittytime. It's a LOT of snowblowing.

By far the best snow blowers made are made by Honda. This one is the third that I have had, and it is now fifteen years old. It is 8 horsepower, has hydrostatic drive and caterpillar treads instead of wheels.

The advantage of caterpillar treads over wheels on rough, or gravel surfaces is that the blower will ride slightly above the gravel if desired, and won't tend to dip and plow if the surface is uneven. The 8 horsepower blower is enough to handle even heavy wet snow.

I have been plowing for the neighbors for several years, but am thinking seriously of giving that up since one has moved away. I could use the exercise of using the snowblower, too.

Now, having said all of that, when I bought my snowblower, replacing a 5 horsepower Honda tracked blower, the bigger machine was enormously expensive. My experience with the smaller machine was so good that I decided to spend the money. Now, fifteen years later, the machine is still going strong, and it has proved to be a wonderful investment.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:48 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,079,985 times
Get a two-stage blower -- which will almost automatically bump you up into the 8-10 hp range. All of the major brands have their pros and cons -- check Consumer Reports for ratings -- but the most important point will be to get a snowblower that can be serviced locally, by a dealership or repair shop with a good reputation and long history.

Don't know what other plans you may have for your place, but if you're also thinking about getting a riding lawn mower or small tractor, you might be better off just getting the package with a snowblower attachment.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,050,846 times
I am soooo ready for a "real old fashioned winter"....please please please send lots of snow!!

and CapeCodder woo hoo!! We're also thinking snow blower this year....so thanks for the thread!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:48 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,737,875 times
Mine is an 11 HP 32" cut from White. White used to be a nice brand, but it is now part of the MTD family, stay away from any blower that is associated with MTD. Don't know where the company headquarters are, but they don't know the first thing about moving snow. I had a problem with the drive motor that rotated the chute, the company stance (I still cannot believe they really said this) "If it is operated at lower than freezing temperatures, there will be a freezing problem." IF IT IS OPERATED AT LOWER THAN FREEZING??? It's a snowblower, I am not using it in Miami. I had an OLD Toro (I think John Smith used it to clear out Pocahontas's tee-pee) I would, and am going to replace my current one with a Toro. They are just so much for a good one, but now I know why. Old Toro 30+ years old and still running, new White 5 years old and questionable for this year and that is WITH a yearly service by the dealer.

Go 2 stage, go 10+ HP and a medium size path width. You can get them up to 45/48" path and dual wheels, but unless you have a perfectly flat driveway you end up with a big ice buildup by the Spring because it doesn't conform to the bumps and ridges in the driveway and just clears to the tops of them. I like the 30 or 32" width with the biggest motor in that size so it has plenty of power to clear the wet heavy stuff out of the chute. Arched chute is by far the best, and also a narrow chute is best because it keeps the velocity of the discharged snow high and it doesn't clog as easy.

Sorry for the long post, but I HATE to clear snow, and doubt anybody is getting a blower to just enjoy the moment. Get a good one and the time spent is less and the job better. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,026,084 times
Good information to know. I've always shoveled in the past, but my driveway is now going to be almost 1/4 mile long. I am NOT going to try to shovel *that*.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:41 PM

406 posts, read 1,650,104 times
Wow...thank you all so much for this info! I've written it down and we're off to do some shopping. We stopped today and looked at a small engine repair place (the guy was great) he explained a lot to us and has a really good selection of used ones that he's fixed up...so we're thinking go that route and also get a plow for the truck? Not totally sure yet. We did see a 9hp electric start Craftsman with chains that had five gears and was huge (well for me at least).

Dramama, we settled in Readfield. It's absolutely beautiful here. I still can't believe we made this move! I was born and raised on Cape Cod and have never lived anywhere else. We've had nothing but good experiences since moving here. People are so helpful and down to earth. I couldn't be happier with the area.

Again, thank you guys for the responses. I knew you'd come through!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine