U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 PM

1,815 posts, read 4,267,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Thanks "WHOFANME".

Do you think that is a better gage when looking at the overall market here in Maine. It's hard when looking up north because there are so few sales, all it takes is one big one or little on to skew the median price?
I'm not sure I understand the question, but you are correct about small sample sizes. For example, in Washington County only 10 homes sold in that quarter this year, that's 3.33 per month! I don't know how many agents and offices there are in that area, but I can't imagine anybody surviving on those kinds of numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 06:34 PM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Those numbers are for Realtors affiliated with the state-wide multiple listing service and includes data from 14 counties. Hancock and Washingtron Counties do their own thing. They have a separate multiple listing service. Agencies from anywhere in Maine can list anywhere in Maine, but few agencies list outside their own counties unless they happen to be right on the line. There were many homes sold in Hancock and Washington Counties not reported by the state-wide MLS. There are also many agencies who don't hold memberships in any Realtor association.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Those numbers are for Realtors affiliated with the state-wide multiple listing service and includes data from 14 counties. Hancock and Washingtron Counties do their own thing. They have a separate multiple listing service. Agencies from anywhere in Maine can list anywhere in Maine, but few agencies list outside their own counties unless they happen to be right on the line. There were many homes sold in Hancock and Washington Counties not reported by the state-wide MLS. There are also many agencies who don't hold memberships in any Realtor association.
Thanks for the clarification. All 16 counties represented in the statistics, and the source is listed as "the Maine Real Estate Information System, Inc. a subsidiary of the Maine Association of REALTORS, is a statewide Multiple Listing Service with over 5,800 licensees inputting active and sold property listing data." I know that there are some agencies that don't use the MLS system, they prefer not to co-broke and work both sides of the deal and most of them are in the rural areas.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I know that there are some agencies that don't use the MLS system, they prefer not to co-broke and work both sides of the deal and most of them are in the rural areas.
I have also noticed while engaging in my hobby of internet real estate surfing, that there are quite a few agencies in Washington and Hancock county that do not elect to participate ( or pay for) the MLS listing service. Either way, potential customers will find them via a google search or local newspaper search.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I have also noticed while engaging in my hobby of internet real estate surfing, that there are quite a few agencies in Washington and Hancock county that do not elect to participate ( or pay for) the MLS listing service. Either way, potential customers will find them via a google search or local newspaper search.
There's one in Standish and I asked her about it and she said she'd prefer to do less transactions, but do them all herself. That's not a philosophy that I agree with, as I think it limits the consumer's choices, but if it works for her, then more power to her. I had a closing today that initially was a very difficult price negotiation which came down to the parties agreeing at 4:59 P.M. on a 5:00 Saturday deadline, with both agents getting a bit short with eachother. Today's closing was as smooth as it can be, both parties very open and cordial and both agents very friendly. It's nice when they turn out that way.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Do you see regular listings for Eastport on these sites? If so, could you DM me with the info?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 AM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
"There's one in Standish and I asked her about it and she said she'd prefer to do less transactions, but do them all herself. That's not a philosophy that I agree with, as I think it limits the consumer's choices, but if it works for her, then more power to her."

When you look at the state-wide MLS in Maine you see all the listings for the agencies located in 14 counties. You see actual property listings for all 16 counties. You do not see listings by agencies located in Washington and Hancock Counties because they have their own MLS. They refer to brokers from other counties as "outside brokers" and discourage them from showing their listings. After you drive to Lubec a few times and can't get a key to show a property you get the point.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM

440 posts, read 1,483,598 times
We bought a home in Pembroke a ccouple years ago.The couple along with the R.E.A were supposed to have the title to the property in 30 days. They assured us they would. Well they didn't and we got out of the deal with the 14,000 we put down. It was horrible. We had the moving company deliver all our belongings to the house and we had to find another house in a week to buy. So we had to move 2 times in 30 days. It was a nightmare...I don't know why Maine doesn't require the title up front, like other states. They said that the house we bought would have clear title in like 40 years.. NO THANKS.. WE WOULD BOTH BE DEAD AND BURIED BY THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:13 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,013,104 times
Lots of great post going on here. Very interesting stuff. Thanks to all contributors.

I would not only invite but encourage anybody with any info about listings not obtainable on normal MLS services to DM me with them. i.e. Agencies not participating in MLS, FSBO, etc.

Many Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
That is fascinating! Thanks for sharing, NMLM and that is true, not all real estate agents are REALTORS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine