Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Good point, mainebrokerman.
I can certainly see not wanting to attract the attention of some petty criminals or robbers by both advertising the exact location of a vacant home and showing photos of windows, doors and entryways to help facilitate a burglary.
I am sure there are plenty of burglars searching through the MLS looking for a "vacant" home to rob. Just teasing Moughie...I got your point.

But I do not think the reason Realtors here in Maine do not list address is because they are looking out for you....I rather believe it is a way to direct people to them so that they can increase their data base of would be buyers ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:41 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I am sure there are plenty of burglars searching through the MLS looking for a "vacant" home to rob. Just teasing Moughie...I got your point.

But I do not think the reason Realtors here in Maine do not list address is because they are looking out for you....I rather believe it is a way to direct people to them so that they can increase their data base of would be buyers ect.
That may well be true, fly. However, there is a tremendous cost to compile, post and update this data and maintain fast loading, popular web sites available to the public 24/7. Do you propose a pay per view type system like the Cumberland County Registry of Deeds?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,730,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post

I guess you may be right, fly. Perhaps, living out here, I have adopted a more cautious and "safety first" type attitude and outlook. ( not necessarily a bad thing!)

Old 01-06-2008, 09:59 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,095,171 times
Thanks so much to everyone who answered my question about why MLS listings don't openly show addresses. I appreciate the input.

I can understand why some people don't want to let the general public know where their house is....but I'm not certain that's the largest percentage of sellers. Here are some of my experiences and feelings on the subject, being both seller and buyer on a number of occasions:

- On 1 occasion while my house was listed by a realtor, I looked out my window to find a youngish man walking up my driveway and peering into my garage unannounced and unaccompanied. This was in the middle of the day on a suburban street, not in a remote area. I sent him on his way politely but firmly, refusing his request to see the interior. To be on the safe side I notified my realtor, who in turn gave the information to the local gendarmes (I noted the license plate & car type). Never had another problem even though I was travelling quite a bit at the time.

- Security worries about people with seasonal properties, etc. are understandable. I wish it was possible for sellers to choose "yes show my address" or "no please don't tell anyone unless you accompany them to a showing".

- In my experience over the past 1.5 years looking for property in Maine, I haven't talked to any realtor (out of 4-5) who told me I'd be under no obligation for them to provide addresses to me via email. I'm unlucky!!!! They all reacted like I was asking them to give up the map to the Holy Grail, and asked for a lot of personal information which should only be discussed if I already knew them to some extent and were asking them to be my buyer's agent. Very pushy and rude I thought, but then I just may be old-fashioned... I ended up saying 'no thanks' and continue to look on my own.
I'm willing to do a lot of my own legwork and not to make unreasonable demands on a realtor. I did meet one realtor at an open house who I'm thinking of contacting again, if I choose to concentrate on his area. That's the other thing: when I'm searching in a wide commutable swath of territory, I don't think it would be fair to ask an agent to drive hither, thither and yon, especially at today's gas prices.

- all good businesses maintain internet-based information databases for their prospective clients: auto sales, department stores, any company that sells a product, all private and public institutions, etc. I don't see MLS as being any different in that respect (and I work on the electronic side of a business, updating server information, etc.)

Just meaning to say that I'm a serious buyer with good credit and funds in the bank; I'm only waiting for the right property at the right price to pop up.
This is extremely important to me as I do not want to move again anytime soon. It HAS to be the right house; the one I'll feel happy in, that I'm glad to come to, that I don't regret buying no matter what. I'd be grateful if sellers and agents made it easier, rather than harder, for me to find them!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,477,069 times
Yes, I know what you mean. Why would I waste an agents time until I had come to the point where I needed to have an interior showing of the house. I guess there may not be that many people who have done all the legwork to have financing in order before they start the hunt. It would never occur to me to waste someones time because I felt like it.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Thanks so much to everyone who answered my question about why MLS listings don't openly show addresses. I appreciate the input.

I can understand why some people don't want to let the general public know where their house is....but I'm not certain that's the largest percentage of sellers. Here are some of my experiences and feelings on the subject, being both seller and buyer on a number of occasions:

- On 1 occasion while my house was listed by a realtor, I looked out my window to find a youngish man walking up my driveway and peering into my garage unannounced and unaccompanied. This was in the middle of the day on a suburban street, not in a remote area. I sent him on his way politely but firmly, refusing his request to see the interior. To be on the safe side I notified my realtor, who in turn gave the information to the local gendarmes (I noted the license plate & car type). Never had another problem even though I was travelling quite a bit at the time.

- Security worries about people with seasonal properties, etc. are understandable. I wish it was possible for sellers to choose "yes show my address" or "no please don't tell anyone unless you accompany them to a showing".

- In my experience over the past 1.5 years looking for property in Maine, I haven't talked to any realtor (out of 4-5) who told me I'd be under no obligation for them to provide addresses to me via email. I'm unlucky!!!! They all reacted like I was asking them to give up the map to the Holy Grail, and asked for a lot of personal information which should only be discussed if I already knew them to some extent and were asking them to be my buyer's agent. Very pushy and rude I thought, but then I just may be old-fashioned... I ended up saying 'no thanks' and continue to look on my own.
I'm willing to do a lot of my own legwork and not to make unreasonable demands on a realtor. I did meet one realtor at an open house who I'm thinking of contacting again, if I choose to concentrate on his area. That's the other thing: when I'm searching in a wide commutable swath of territory, I don't think it would be fair to ask an agent to drive hither, thither and yon, especially at today's gas prices.

- all good businesses maintain internet-based information databases for their prospective clients: auto sales, department stores, any company that sells a product, all private and public institutions, etc. I don't see MLS as being any different in that respect (and I work on the electronic side of a business, updating server information, etc.)

Just meaning to say that I'm a serious buyer with good credit and funds in the bank; I'm only waiting for the right property at the right price to pop up.
This is extremely important to me as I do not want to move again anytime soon. It HAS to be the right house; the one I'll feel happy in, that I'm glad to come to, that I don't regret buying no matter what. I'd be grateful if sellers and agents made it easier, rather than harder, for me to find them!
Good post boom.

When you put a sign up on your property, some people assume that they have access to your home whenever they please. You did the right thing to call your REALTOR. We often get calls from folks outside a property on their wireless phones asking us to meet them at the property the agent has to decide whether that the risk of meeting somebody you don't know at a strange place is worth the risk. Many agencies require customers to meet at their office and photocopy driver's license before setting foot in their cars, this will screen out those who might not be legitimately interested in the property. I have offered to accompany my female agents on occasion when they felt they needed it.

In November, the Maine Association of REALTORS added this to the standard Exclusive Right to Sell Agreement, "To authorize inclusion of street address of the property on the Internet to the public." The seller has to put a check in the Yes or No box.

There is a sectioin on the Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement for a geographic area that the agreement covers. I will usually limit the area I cover to Cumberland and (sometimes) York County. I can't/won't work in an area I'm not comfortable in, I'll happily refer clients to other agents in the state or country that I know and trust. They do the same for me.

There is a house out there somewhere for you, you're doing all the right things!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. Why would I waste an agents time until I had come to the point where I needed to have an interior showing of the house. I guess there may not be that many people who have done all the legwork to have financing in order before they start the hunt. It would never occur to me to waste someones time because I felt like it.
When I meet a new customer, I interview them to see if they are willing to get pre-approved and would be willing to sign an Exclusive Buyer Agency Agreement with me. The Maine Real Estate Commission requires that we give the a from which explains "Client" Representation vs. "Customer" non-represenation anytime we have a serious discussion about real estate.
I will work once with a "Customer," letting them know that if we both feel comfortable, we will want to formalize that relationship and spend less than 15 minutes with a loan officer to learn what the buyer can afford. I worked with an attorney on a one house Buyer Agency contract - he didn't want to sign a long term commitment with me, but wanted representation on that particular home, which he had serious interest. He didn't buy it, and I'm still in touch with them, but we are back to "Customer" status.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post

boom, the "relationship" between a customer or client(and a broker) in the real estate world, is a cornerstone and foundation to the "agency" laws and rules which brokers must abide by,,this seems very simple from an outside perspective, but let me give you an example,
there are some folks that just love looking at houses, may not even have the intent of buying, but i could show them 25 houses, and then they say they are two years away from buying,,and dont get me wrong here,,i advise many to research and im willing to show as many houses as needed to make an informed decision,,or decide, they havent found what they really want. thats a brokers job, however, say, someone called me asked to look at a house or four houses on a saturday, and then demand,,no paperwork, im just looking,,,so being respectful of "no pressure" i agree and we take most of a saturday to look at four houses....same as the following week,,and the week after,,but then they find something they really like,,
here are 3 saturdays, i didnt see my son at his basketball games,,or refused
other possible clients from showing property..
but hey, im a broker, thats my job,,not gonna complain,,
but here's the kicker,,the guy ive shown the houses to on three saturdays,(who refused to sign a buyers broker agency agreement) says,,"thank you mr. broker, i think ive found the house i like,,,my brother in law is a broker, im gonna have him write up the offer...
or
he knows the owner of one of the houses we looked at, calls him, not only asking questions about the house, but when his listing contract expires, so maybe they can work something out together ,,without commissions involved.

so, in each case ive wasted my time,,,now multiply that by 10 or 30 times per year, then a broker who values his time, realizes, he/she has to protect himself against this,,

we usually learn the quickest from our mistakes, when i first got licensed, i absolutely loved showing houses, would show houses to anyone, anywhere, without anything written,,,,,but after a while,,(trying to be too nice of a guy, not wanting to pressure anyone, i was realizing, im not getting the clients, or closings...the other "harsh" brokers were,,, because of establishing a broker/client relationship right away! (and asking the tough questions)
i use to avoid asking if they were pre-approved, and for how much? (thought it was a personal question, some might get offended by), but not asking,,i was showing properties folks just couldnt afford,,again wasting my time,,but again,,they loved looking at houses,,the colors, the ideas from houses,

we live and learn, and just like whofan, stated,,,you try to get as much info upfront so my time isnt being wasted and neither is theirs.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,095,171 times
I agree with you, WhoFanMe and MaineBrokerMan, it is inconsiderate (to say the least) that people who aren't seriously interested in buying would even think of wasting your time in needless showings.

And Maine4.US, yes, that is my feeling exactly. I wouldn't ask for a showing unless I have already seen the house for myself and determined that the location, general condition, and property are what I'm looking for. It isn't possible to do this from photos alone. Movies are better, but still, I want to see it for myself.

This does require driving by the property. I would never stop and park in front of a house to gawk, never mind getting out of the car and walking around. But I do want to get a general feeling for the place before asking to see the interior.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 6,385,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
The question here is why use a real estate agent that is not going to market a property to as many people as possible? I commented that in my opinion, to not put a home (where a marketing fee is charged if the home sells) on the Multiple Listing Service, which is available worldwide through the internet is a disservice to the seller.
That is exactly the point I was making.
All my real estate purchases are private sales.
I am fortunate to know the "old" family owned land in my area and if some comes up for sale the seller usually contacts me.
Selling the land I utilize a broker who is connected to the MLS, thus getting as much exposure as possible to flip these pieces.
Security of ones home and property is one of an agencies utmost concern.
There are two real estate offices locally that will call me if they are looking at a new potential listing, or they are showing a house that is unoccupied.
I am a card carrying 19-4 357 cal. carrier.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-07-2008 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine