Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times

Advertisements

I'll go you one better. In the 52% of the state governed by LURC you can't even do a search by town. Names of those towns don't appear on the MLS. People live there. Children go to school. There are stores and businesses in that half of the state, but they are all poorly served by the system.

Who in the world would ever think to search for a home, camp or land in a place called UnorganizedPis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,477,069 times
I am curious about the MLS in Washington and Hancock county. We looked and found plenty of MLS listings in the Eastport, Lubec, Whiting, and Perry areas. We also looked at the realtors individual sites, and found even more information. Is MLS is MLS or what?
Just curious!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
If such were the case, then ALL sellers would be taking their properties to a realtor.

However here on planet earth such is not the case.

All sellers do not use realtors.

Some may, while some may not.

One of the things of why I line Maine is the huge portion of properties and homes here that are transacted without paying a realtor.
I'm tempted to ignore this, but I'll answer one time so that my point is clear. 7th Generation and I are talking about sellers who have made the decision to hire a real estate company to market their property. This thread has nothing to do with the debate of FSBO vs. REALTORS. Sellers need as much exposure as possible. It's a numbers game, the more that see the property, the better the odds are of getting an offer or multiple offers. All sellers need marketing, road signs, multiple web sites, print ads, home movies, open houses, etc. I never said all sellers use REALTORS. Those who do can expect much more marketing than an individual seller can afford to do on their own and that comes with a fee. They can also expect all of the other benefits of representation that come with hiring a professional. The question here is why use a real estate agent that is not going to market a property to as many people as possible? I commented that in my opinion, to not put a home (where a marketing fee is charged if the home sells) on the Multiple Listing Service, which is available worldwide through the internet is a disservice to the seller.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I got my real estate license a few years ago before the market started to slow. It was really just to support my investing but I did try and make a go of it, although a little half heartedly. Anyways...........and I mean no disrespect to any agents...........it's a tough business......but with out the MLS they would be screwed.

All the training, licensing, fee's, advertising ect, is nothing with out the MLS. I cannot believe there would be any agent...or agency in Maine that feels it does not need access to it. It is why there is much lobbying from the national association of realtors to keep the MLS closed to the public.
No disrepect at all, the MLS is part of the marketing plan. In data from the 2006 National Association of REALTORS survey of homebuyers asking where buyers first learned of the house they eventually purchased 36% answered Real Estate Agent, 24% answered on the Internet and 15% stated yard sign. The other 25% came from friend/relative, builder, newspaper ad, knew seller and magazine ads.

You can't make it in this business without putting your heart and soul into it, but it's easily the most satisfying business I've ever been involved with. You can make dreams come true with each transaction.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
You've brought up a point that puzzles me - can someone please enlighten?
If the idea of MLS is to bring buyers to the seller's listing agent....why do almost all realtors hide their property addresses on Realtor.com and MLS so that buyers have to find and beg a local agent --- 99% of the time someone they've never met before and have no idea if they're dealing with a good, bad, or mediocre agent --- just to get email notifications with addresses?

Wouldn't it make more sense to make this information more easily available and searchable? Just wondering!
Our website gives addresses to all who register by clicking on the "Schedule Appointment" or "Request Information" buttons. We also send out daily e mail alerts on status and price changes, open houses and new listings - all for free with no obligation.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Our website gives addresses to all who register by clicking on the "Schedule Appointment" or "Request Information" buttons. We also send out daily e mail alerts on status and price changes, open houses and new listings - all for free with no obligation.

I've notice that here in Maine It's very difficult to get the addresses of the houses listed for sale without giving out your own info or calling a speaking with a realtor....thats very frustrating to me.... All throughout the south the address are published with the listing....even in the real estate mag's?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
thier is a security aspect of not listing adresses, often there are many photos of the back yard, front yard, inside the house, a long driveway, secluded setting, etc.
say i had a very nice seasonal waterfront camp/cottage for sale, i have 10 pictures of the place, the address is clearly stated, this could easily invite some mischief ,,not just from area teenagers to hang out, but from some serious thieves..especially, between september-may

and,,,thier is always the drive-bys, which some folks dont mind, but others,,,get quite squirrely with strange cars around,,,even with a for sale sign on the front lawn. (ive seen sellers take the sign down themselves, because folks were ,,not just slowing down to look around,,but actually,,walk all around thier property without letting the owner,,know what they were up to,,

Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I've notice that here in Maine It's very difficult to get the addresses of the houses listed for sale without giving out your own info or calling a speaking with a realtor....thats very frustrating to me.... All throughout the south the address are published with the listing....even in the real estate mag's?
I don't know the answer to that one fly, I wish I could help.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,730,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
thier is a security aspect of not listing adresses, often there are many photos of the back yard, front yard, inside the house, a long driveway, secluded setting, etc.
say i had a very nice seasonal waterfront camp/cottage for sale, i have 10 pictures of the place, the address is clearly stated, this could easily invite some mischief ,,not just from area teenagers to hang out, but from some serious thieves..especially, between september-may

Good point, mainebrokerman.
I can certainly see not wanting to attract the attention of some petty criminals or robbers by both advertising the exact location of a vacant home and showing photos of windows, doors and entryways to help facilitate a burglary.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,730,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
I'm tempted to ignore this, but I'll answer one time so that my point is clear. 7th Generation and I are talking about sellers who have made the decision to hire a real estate company to market their property. This thread has nothing to do with the debate of FSBO vs. REALTORS. Sellers need as much exposure as possible. It's a numbers game, the more that see the property, the better the odds are of getting an offer or multiple offers. All sellers need marketing, road signs, multiple web sites, print ads, home movies, open houses, etc. I never said all sellers use REALTORS. Those who do can expect much more marketing than an individual seller can afford to do on their own and that comes with a fee. They can also expect all of the other benefits of representation that come with hiring a professional. The question here is why use a real estate agent that is not going to market a property to as many people as possible? I commented that in my opinion, to not put a home (where a marketing fee is charged if the home sells) on the Multiple Listing Service, which is available worldwide through the internet is a disservice to the seller.
Exactly. Most sellers, especially in the current housing market, want to advertise their properties far and wide in order to move them off the market. They want to complete a sale, pocket the $$$ and either move out of state or move in state to a new home. Only a fool or someone who was not serious about really selling( i.e. a tease) would opt not to participate in the MLS in this current real estate market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine