Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,695,021 times

Advertisements

Ok everyone I hope this is successful. Maine's own Job forum is a place where we can network and exchange information about job's and employment in maine.

In my own recent search for employment I have found value in networking rather than just looking at advertisments .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I heard about a company that is literally trying to drag people in off the street to work for them at a rate of more than $20/hr. They will pay for you to learn a trade in return for a commitment to work for them for a year.

I won't say anything further about the company until I find out if the information is factual...and because, if it *is* true I want to be sure to get *myself* in the door first, because the trade is one that I have been wanting to learn and was considering paying for the schooling. I'm willing to commit to that job at that rate for a year in order to gain the skill.

BIW has been hiring designers left and right. I have a few close friends that work there. It's a great career path for anyone interested in that field (cad,3dcad, marine design)

I know the pay is pretty decent and after a few years you'll be on your way to a well paid career. Even with the risk of lay offs in the future you cannot beat the training.

So I am not sure if thats were you were going but there are not many jobs that hire a lot of people, train them, and pay them that well

Old 12-28-2007, 03:48 PM

454 posts, read 882,012 times
Here are some links that will help job-searchers get started..

www.indeed.com - Great search engine that updates hourly on job openings from all newspapers and websites in the selected area.

www.jobsinme.com - Good, full list of openings in your area

www.maintoday.com (broken link) - job openings for the southern part of Maine that are listed in local newspapers. (Good if you are looking at each newspaper seperately, can save you time.)

www.maine.gov/portal/employment/jobs.html - This page will get you to competetive and direct hire positions for the state, as well as job openings in state schools, libraries, municipalities, colleges, etc..also full of info for job searchers.

As I've mentioned in a post in threads past...hotjobs, careerbuilder, monster jobs and the like aren't the best avenue to find real, local employment as they are now full of spam or "work-from-home-and-make-MILLIONS!" scams.

It's a good start, anyway...and good luck in your searches!

Last edited by Bewitched; 12-28-2007 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: fumble fingers

Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM

175 posts, read 418,664 times
Well I for one think this is a wonderful idea. Thank you for starting this. It will be very beneficial I think.

Thanks again!!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:03 PM

37,245 posts, read 60,976,905 times
I just checked the openings for Federal jobs in Maine.

67 posted positions some with as many as eight openings.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,335,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Ok everyone I hope this is successful. Maine's own Job forum is a place where we can network and exchange information about job's and employment in maine.

In my own recent search for employment I have found value in networking rather than just looking at advertisments .
Great idea fly. I know that I will be checking back here often.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
fly, what experience and training/ education do you have? and/or what area of employment are you interested in??

you can have many here networking for ya!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
Here are some links that will help job-searchers get started..

www.indeed.com - Great search engine that updates hourly on job openings from all newspapers and websites in the selected area.

www.jobsinme.com - Good, full list of openings in your area

www.maintoday.com - job openings for the southern part of Maine that are listed in local newspapers. (Good if you are looking at each newspaper seperately, can save you time.)

www.maine.gov/portal/employment/jobs.html - This page will get you to competetive and direct hire positions for the state, as well as job openings in state schools, libraries, municipalities, colleges, etc..also full of info for job searchers.

As I've mentioned in a post in threads past...hotjobs, careerbuilder, monster jobs and the like aren't the best avenue to find real, local employment as they are now full of spam or "work-from-home-and-make-MILLIONS!" scams.

It's a good start, anyway...and good luck in your searches!

maine craiglist, has job listings also,

bewitched, you are right,,whats with all the spam scams,,that junk up the websites?? cant they filter them?

im starting to deal with mainecareercenter and they seem to be very helpful!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maine craiglist, has job listings also,

bewitched, you are right,,whats with all the spam scams,,that junk up the websites?? cant they filter them?

im starting to deal with mainecareercenter and they seem to be very helpful!

Maine career center is kind of where I got the idea for this. They have an employment professionals group that meats once a week for net working and free information classes. It's always interesting to meet different people and see what kind of backround and experiences thay have.

Though I do not consider myself "unemployed" I have found this new direction of mine for a new career has been difficult. I thought it was hard at 18 deciding what I wanted to do, and now I think it's just as hard at 38

Old 12-29-2007, 08:22 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,043,489 times
Fly I've found the same thing....I have a considerable amount of education and experience in a field I no longer want to work in. I've thought about going back to teaching, but with some of the concerns I have with "No Child Left Behind" issues, and the sickening "consolidation" idea I'm afraid it's turned me off. I've worked for a not-for-profit grant funded program but the burn-out there is high, and I cut back to part-time. So essentially I'll be 42 in February and I don't know what I want to be when I grow up! There are a couple of things I'm looking into, so I'll see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine