U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,931,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Won't be leaving til late spring. We can stay here and rent from new owners, which makes it even better.
Hope to end up in TN, but northern Georgia is another option that is open to us.
Oh Alison! Maine will miss you, but I understand your need to move. Maybe you could sneak up and join us for the YaYa's gathering occasionally!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,184,885 times
"Do whatever you want. You'll be a Mainer so it's going to be a Mainer's theme no matter what you go with."

I think thats the best advice! I have looked at enough pictures on line of homes that are for sale to know that there is a wide range of decorating styles; again my Mom's expression "Everyone to their own taste said the old maid as she kissed the cow".

I also know that the only thing that is constant is change....so the way I do my house this year maynot be the way I want to do it 5 years from now.....

Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 PM

612 posts, read 1,063,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Aha! Oh, now that is nice. And handmade? Where would you find something like that?
LL Bean but probably pricey.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,931,400 times
M, NO, not tropical. Hate it!! When I think of MY coastal dream, it includes rocky shores lined with pine trees. I've never seen it any other way! A trip to the Bahamas would be completely wasted on me!

DH asked where I'd like to go on our honeymoon that December - a cruise, Bahamas, etc. I replied, "I just want a little cabin in the woods and to be surrounded by snow!" (That was before I discovered that ALL I craved in life was found in Maine...) and so we rented a little cabin in the middle of the Smokey Mountains, surrounded by snow, fireplace and all! It was a dream!!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Default Creel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I lean towards country prim style. Right now I am undecorating as am packing things up. We sign the papers tomorrow. Hooray!!!!
I have to agree with the others, decorate how you want. The only one you have to please is yourself.
Congratulations!

This is the creel. The opening in the cover is used to drop trout into the creel. The top is birds eye maple. Maple is not usually marked this way. The black strap lets you wear the creel so that it's always handy while you fish. This one will not be carrying fish. It sits on top of a beautiful gun cabinet my BIL made where it will never become smelly.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 AM

I'd love a trip to the Bahamas in February. Warm sand, rum filled drinks and sunshine would be a lot of fun. But just for a few days. I really wouldn't want to miss many days of snow. If I had to choose what to do often it would be the cabin in the mountains. I bet that was beautiful!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:46 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,974,482 times
Lightbulb I'm in the wrong business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Maybe you guys should go into business......

White Birch decorative logs - eBay (item 220187522940 end time Jan-05-08 06:08:42 PST) (broken link)
But I do have a few dozen bird nests and hornet nest in inventory.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:52 AM

406 posts, read 1,489,048 times
El...I grew up on the Cape (I feel like a broken record) and we used to see tourists leaving with lighthouses and little boats and buoys...little lobster traps...you get the idea. It's so funny, you could tell immediately who lived here their whole life by entering their home. If you saw little touristy doo dads you just knew...my MIL has her entire bathroom done in Cape Coddy stuff (she lives in OK).

You decorate with what pleases you. That's all you can do. Don't worry about fitting in cuz frankly...we'll always be from away. It's ok...seems they'll love you anyway!
We get picked on all the time...we didn't know where LL Bean was and our friends (old time Mainers) told us to go back to Mass...that we were "banned" from Maine! =) Silly Mainers.

Anyway, there's a web site J. Kevin Whites Photographs, the photographer is from Maine and he takes amazing photos. I thought you might enjoy looking at them. =)

Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 AM

One of my friends takes nice photos of Maine too. He showed me what camera to buy and answered a lot of questions for me. He has a lot of pictures in Maine Nature News too.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:26 PM

323 posts, read 859,584 times
I love that coastal look and although we live in AZ I do not decorate Southwest.

My girlfriend that moved back to Maine from AZ decorates rustic Southwest and it's mixed with some Maine flavor, baskets, yankee candles, some Maine photo's along with some Southwest landscape prints and it looks really good.

My advise is the more you buy the more you will have to move and when you get there you can tour all the shops and find little treasures to put in your house. It might be fun to unload all the stuff you want to get rid of and then less to pack and fill it all in when you get there. A lot of nature will be right outside your door to work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or