U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM

5,498 posts, read 6,443,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Some years the black flies will drive you crazy, while other years their numbers are WAY down. Last year was one of those years we hardly had any up in this area. Agree with the advice that the only thing that really helps is DEET. Ben's 100% is the ONLY stuff I buy. Lotion, not spray. I think the highest you can get a spray is 45-50% DEET which is nothing more than an advertisement to the little devils that there is something that doesn't want them to dine. I have seen it where you can tell where the animals and people you are out with are located in a clear cut by the black cloud hovering in the air.

I've lived in the South, and have been in the swamps of Mississippi and Louisiana and the mosquitoes I have seen are nothing compared to a bad year for the black flies. The worse month up here tends to be June, into July some years, but they are around all summer, just not as bad later in the year as they are in the Spring/Early Summer.
I was looking at some land in Conner, and was using Deep Woods Off. There were clouds of them but they didn't land. I just ignored them, but the clouds annoyed my wife even though they weren't biting.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:13 PM

38,455 posts, read 18,213,807 times
I remember in NH the worst of the black fly season seemed to coincide with the last of May and early June when I needed to be out putting in the garden!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:25 PM

I remember going to the Rachel Carson Land Conservatory down near Wells one summer. The mosquitoes were so fierce we couldnt stay out of the car for more than a few minutes. I couldnt help but think that was fitting for a park to honor the woman who did the most to get DDT outlawed. But without "The Silent Spring"....you guys wouldnt be watching the eagles up along the Penobscott or in Eastport.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,157,090 times
Not sure how your Maine blackflies behave, but the Ontario variety have the saving grace of not being nocturnal.

For those who have not experienced blackflies, they are a vastly different creature than mosquitos. Blackflies have a painless bite that removes a chunk of flesh. Most of the time your first inkling of having been bit is the blood smeared across your forehead courtesy of the anti-coagulent in the critter's saliva. Of course, once the anti-coagulent wears off, the bites swells and itches.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 AM

93 posts, read 313,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Not sure how your Maine blackflies behave, but the Ontario variety have the saving grace of not being nocturnal.

For those who have not experienced blackflies, they are a vastly different creature than mosquitos. Blackflies have a painless bite that removes a chunk of flesh. Most of the time your first inkling of having been bit is the blood smeared across your forehead courtesy of the anti-coagulent in the critter's saliva. Of course, once the anti-coagulent wears off, the bites swells and itches.

Oh Wow, sounds pleasant!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,088,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I rub an orange on my brother and make him stand about 3 feet away from me, works well.
ROFLMAO

When I was little my Dad was never bothered by black flies..I was, maybe that is why.

Actually... mom always said it was because he didn't use colonge or wear deodorant. (that might be going a bit too far)

Old 01-04-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbymoulton View Post
ROFLMAO

When I was little my Dad was never bothered by black flies..I was, maybe that is why.

Actually... mom always said it was because he didn't use colonge or wear deodorant. (that might be going a bit too far)
My dad wasn't bothered by biting flies and mosquitoes either, Often when outside he was around a camp fire and the smoke helped. He also said it was due to his Indian blood, and he recommended a teaspoon of vinegar as a bug repellent. Taken internally! He was born and bred Mainer.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM

29,752 posts, read 47,576,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post

Yeap, and a piece of flesh is then missing from you.

During a sting, you are injected and the critter does like a transfusion, both sucking from you and pumping some of it's stuff into you.

But blackfly seem to bite.

They migrate through the area in waves, that can be tracked.

Skeeters like still water, puddles and ponds.

Black fly like the moist underside of leaves and possibly flowing water.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM

121 posts, read 286,645 times
I carry a GPS, so when the bugs put me down, I know where I am.....

But seriously, I can stand the black flies and mosquitoes easier than the minges. Or, as many folks call them: Noseeumbiteumdamnem! They go through my window screens, and chew on me all night long. I had to put in an air conditioner, not so much because my bedroom was hot, but the minges were biting so much!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,189,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky Environmental View Post
I can stand the black flies and mosquitoes easier than the minges.
I hate these things with a glowing hot passion! These are the only living creature I have ever encountered that made me wonder just what the good Lord was thinking when he made them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine