U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:36 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times

Advertisements

Go bowling?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Allow me to explain more clearly.

I have my own spray bottle, my own vinegar and my own DEET (see pic). I was actually being polite since this is a forum for all ages. I prefer to not put articles of clothing on after preparing to venture outside. But I have found that once I treat myself, it's not the insects that gather around, but the two-legged mammals with binoculars that I have trouble repelling.

Ahhh, what's a naturist to do?
Don't worry, I'll let you hang out in *my* yard. It's very private, no neighbors can see (even with binoculars...unless, maybe, someone climbs up on Davis Hill), and there is even a pool.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:50 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL! I'm glad it didn't go over everyone's head. Now, would you like to explain it to Forest or shall I?
I have no personal knowledge. You do it.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Go bowling?
Now you are seriously cracking me up!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 PM

73 posts, read 268,602 times
I thought I'd share what worked for me and my family.
There is a tincture that can be made called "Vinegar of the Four Thieves" that is applied to skin and clothing to repel insects of all sorts.

I bought premixed herbs from Bulk Herb Store - The Vinegar of the Four Thieves and made the tincture quite easily at home.
I got to test it when we went camping and the bugs (mainly mosquitos and hornets) left me alone and I am usually a magnet for bug bites. So it really works (and no, it doesn't make you stink.) Beats toxic chemicals!!

Just my .02.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM

beauty4ashes -
Thank you.

I saw the recipe for making "Vinegar of the Four Thieves", we have everything for it, so I will make some for Fiddlehead season.

We can see if it works good here on these bugs.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM

73 posts, read 268,602 times
Super! Glad I could help!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty4ashes View Post
Super! Glad I could help!
You are so wonderful, to give us your expertise and advise.

I will try it and see if it works better.

If you ever come out here to visit, keep in mind that I will gladly offer my services following AliceT's prescribed technique of application. I will gladly apply this 'Four thieves vinegar' onto you, in the effort to protect you. To protect you from those vicious blood suckers out there.

All to protect and to serve. To find better methods of repelling bugs, and to make your life better and happier.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,460,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty4ashes View Post
I thought I'd share what worked for me and my family.
There is a tincture that can be made called "Vinegar of the Four Thieves" that is applied to skin and clothing to repel insects of all sorts.

I bought premixed herbs from Bulk Herb Store - The Vinegar of the Four Thieves and made the tincture quite easily at home.
I got to test it when we went camping and the bugs (mainly mosquitos and hornets) left me alone and I am usually a magnet for bug bites. So it really works (and no, it doesn't make you stink.) Beats toxic chemicals!!

Just my .02.
Thank you beauty4ashes. I bookmarked the site as an excellent resource. Another excellent resource is Vinegar Tips - 1001 Uses for white distilled vinegar.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 AM

15 posts, read 43,247 times
Here's something I discovered for bug trouble that I've never seen mentioned: Vick's! I'm not sure if they still sell it, but the old-fashioned vaseline-like Vick's rub keeps both black flies & mosquitoes off exposed skin. Also keeps the wife away and almost everyone else...
The black flies don't seem to like the "greasiness", (I guess that's why, I'm not bothered very much by black flies, and my wife attracts them all if she's out), but the mosquitoes don't like the grease or the vapor. I have tested this. I used to live in a camper next to a swamp and they'd line up on the screens by the hundreds, but if I passed the jar of Vick's near them they'd disappear post-haste!
So if you don't mind smelling like you've got a cold....There are times that it's better than getting bit (they always know when you've got both hands occupied)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine