U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:41 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,129,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Yeah and up here in Maine we get Nor' easters which are just as bas as hurricanes. In fact the Patriots Day storm last year costs just as many homes as hurricanes do. The winter storms are just as costly and damaging as a lot of hurricanes are. If you look at actual stats you will see you are not very likely to actually get hit by a hurricane. You will not go through one winter without getting hit by Nor'Easter and below zero weather which kills more people than hurricanes do.
Fertilizer for sale, fertilizer for sale! Any gardeners here that need a fresh load of horse****?

What a load of crap Petertherock! If you make a statement as outlandish and farfetched as this you need to post a link to some hard data to back it up. There is no way an average Nor'easter causes as much damage as an average Hurricane. Let's see some data to back up this lie.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,121,891 times
Well, as they say, probably the safest place (weather wise) to move is North Dakota. Nothing bad ever happens in North Dakota. But I think quality of life is what people are really after. I am look for something I feel that I have lost along the way of life. Since I was raised on a farm, out in the boondocks, moving to Maine will be like coming home. Sure, we knew each other well, sometimes all too well, but we all pulled together. I know the weather will be colder in Maine, and more snow, but it doesn't snow every day of the year, and it isn't cold all year long either.

Many of our friends think my wife and I are crazy for even thinking about leaving Florida and going to Maine. Of course they are from NY,NJ, and Mass.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
.....The winter storms are just as costly and damaging as a lot of hurricanes are. If you look at actual stats you will see .
why don't you provide us a link for those "stats" you're talking about.....the Nor'Easter that causes as much damage as a hurricane is very rare....really now, where are those "stats"???

Old 01-03-2008, 04:52 PM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
I thnk it may well be that the ferocity of the storm is like beauty: in the eye of the beholder.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 PM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
"It's an ill wind that blows no good!" Who knows that old adage may also apply.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
we have friends here in Calais that moved to Florida....she came back with the kids in less than a year. The first time their house was hit by a hurricane she got tough, and put things back together as best she could, waiting for the construction crew to come and repair all the damage. Before they could come and repair the exterior, they were hit with a second hurricane. Much more damage....horrible right? While waiting for the contractor....yes, they were hit a third time. This hurricane, as you can imagine, left the house inhabitable. She packed up and moved home. She's a Maine girl, lived through her share of Nor'Easters.....never had she lost so much. Ever. Not just baby pictures, family heirlooms and other material goods that are forever gone, but emotionally it was a terrible experience for the entire family. Incidentally, the family didn't survive....not many marriages can survive such repeated trauma.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM

406 posts, read 1,488,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I met a man from Cape Cod who moved out here to southern California; in a short while he felt the lure of Florida and compared cost of living etc and with great anticipation moved out to Florida for the low cost of housing (mobile home) and the perfect climate....last I heard he was back on the Cape. I don't think there is a perfect climate of perfect place....some more closely approximate our needs and preferences and with any luck we either find that spot or adjust to where we are. LOL I am moving back to the North East.
Do you remember what part of the Cape?

My former neighbors in Yarmouth are from Hollywood FL and they hate it there. Their mother died and left them her house on the Cape and they're trying to move up here full time, they can't sell their FL house though.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:14 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,144,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Funny, I've never seen the National Guard called to Maine to deal with noreaster ravaged towns. I may be wrong.......
I think they did get called out to help with the aftermath of the ice storm, what, 12 years ago now? But that was an exceptional and hopefully once per lifetime event. Not being the type to deal well with inconvenience, I skidded all the way down to Portland, got a nice warm hotel room, did a little shopping, and stayed there until my power was turned back on 4 days later.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,121,891 times
Call it the luck of the draw, but Polk county, Florida, was directly hit by 3 hurricanes that year. It was a mess. In Florida, you have a hurricane deductible, that is not the same as your comprehensive deductible. It can be anywhere from 2-10% of the insured value of your home. So, if it is totaled, you will have to pay the deductible. The insurance companies tried to apply 3 deductibles to homes in this area, but the governor stepped in and put a stop to that nonsense.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 PM

175 posts, read 373,184 times
Well I have no clue as to what a bad snow storm can do, but I can tell you, a hurricane is not a good thing. And it is not just the Hurricanes, with hurricanes, usually you have tornados and those in itself are more scary. You can at least track a hurricane and get out of harms way ( well some can), but not a tornado, you just better pray for the best. And once again, the lightning. I use to work for a tomato farm several years ago. We had a guy that was out in the field, putting out tomato stakes. It was a clear day, but off in the distance you could see it clouding up. Well within a few minutes, lightning struck him out of nowhere. There were two guys standing about 8 ft from him. Both of them lost their hearing for 3 days, and the poor man it hit, did not survive. So I know what it can do in a flash. When you get to Florida, especially if you live near the water, when it starts, head for cover.
I am guessing with a bad snow storm, you make sure you have ample supplies and stay inside and warm the best you can???? If you lose power there, couldn't you use a generator like we do here for hurricanes???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine