U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,608,293 times

Advertisements

Can't vouch for these, but I've had good luck with allrecipes.com in general (like biscotti...)

More Recipes Like Whoopie Pies VII - All Recipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:06 PM

87 posts, read 286,030 times
I ordered a box of Whoopie Pies for my dad for Father's Day from Labadie's and they were excellent.

The service was wonderful too. I chatted for about 20 minutes with the woman who answered the phone (the owner?) and she was extremely nice an accommodating.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,280 times
Of course Marthah Stewart prefers Cranberry Island Kichen whoppie pies. The company is named after 2 small islands off of Mount Desert where one of the owners spent childhood summers but are in actuality produced in Cumberland, Me.

As for myself, I will gladly eat a tasty fresh generic pie sold at any old gas station in the great State O' Maine!!! Yummy!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I *love* these whoopie pies - the chocolate is to die for, but maybe that's a little too close to the truth. They're super-sweet. I'd like to find some just as chocolatey but less sugary. I first tried 'em at the Topsham Fair harness races with a hot cup of Green Mtn coffee - mmmmmmmmmm! I think the coffee cuts the sugar taste very well...

P.S. at the price of these goodies + shipping, maybe we should be posting recipes for whoopies instead!?
The recipe is the best answer. Whoopie Pies are very easy to make and would be a hell of alot cheaper. By looking at those sites I think I might have a part time income when I get back there.
But, having them at The fair with coffee can make just about anything taste good. I miss fairs we don't have anything like them in Florida.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 AM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
When my boys were little, I used to make them whoopie pies; they are easy to make and delicious. The mail order ones are really expensive!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Can't vouch for these, but I've had good luck with allrecipes.com in general (like biscotti...)

More Recipes Like Whoopie Pies VII - All Recipes
The recipe listed as VI is the closest to our old Maine recipe that started with my grand mother many years ago. EXCEPT where it says marshmellow cream you really should use "Marshmellow FLUFF"

Old 01-04-2008, 01:56 PM

406 posts, read 1,488,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Toria, those look great! The ones I am going to try next time downstate are the "whoop-de-dos". I mean OMG, mini-chocolate whoopie Pies dipped in chocolate. I see a couple extra pounds in my future.
LOL those were the ones I was eyeballing too...why why why did I click on that link? yum.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 PM

454 posts, read 780,377 times
They are VERY easy to make

Whoopie Pie Recipe

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk

Filling
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups Marshmallow Fluff (or you can use marshmallow crème)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets. (I use parchment paper instead)

In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and egg. In another bowl, combine cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a small bowl, stir the vanilla extract into the milk. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture, alternating with the milk mixture; beating until smooth.
Drop batter by the 1/4 cup (to make 18 cakes) onto prepared baking sheets. With the back of a spoon spread batter into 4-inch circles, leaving approximately 2 inches between each cake. Bake 15 minutes or until they are firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Make the Filling. In a medium bow, beat together shortening, sugar, and Marshmallow fluff; stir in vanilla extract until well blended.

When the cakes are completely cool, spread the flat side (bottom) of one chocolate cake with a generous amount of filling. Top with another cake, pressing down gently to distribute the filling evenly. Repeat with all cookies to make 9 pies. Wrap whoopie pies individually in plastic wrap, or place them in a single layer on a platter (do not stack them, they will stick!!).

To freeze, wrap each whoopie pie in plastic wrap. Loosely pack them in a plastic freezer container and cover. To serve, defrost the wrapped whoopie pies in the refrigerator. Makes 9 large whoopie pies.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM

252 posts, read 1,057,767 times
No Fluff out here.

I should try to make some, but I'm not much of a baker. My husband will attest to that. Maybe I'll give that recipe a trial run this weekend while the Patriots have the bye week. I like that they can be made ahead and frozen. My hands will be full with a toddler and other party preparations Super Bowl weekend. Thanks Bewitched!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM

87 posts, read 286,030 times
Bewitched-

Thank you for posting that recipe. I know what I'm making this weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or