Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM

47 posts, read 302,100 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a second home and we need some ideas regarding "the best" towns to look at in Maine.

We are looking for a town that has houses that are walking distance to the beach but also to a town center with a library, coffee shop, churches, shops, etc. In other words, we want to be able to park the car in the driveway and walk to things rather than having to pack the kids in the car every time we want to go somewhere. We are also looking for a town where people are friendly so that we can be part of a real community vs. a town where everyone is seeking privacy and has no interest in getting to know their neighbor.

I know that Ogungquit (sp?) ME fits a lot of this description but I haven't been there in years and I didn't know if it had become less family-friendly and more of a "hot-spot" for singles (both gay and straight). We are a family of 4 with young children so we would love a town that's family-friendly.

Thank you -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:42 PM

254 posts, read 1,139,483 times
Default OH my God

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemarie View Post
We are looking to buy a second home and we need some ideas regarding "the best" towns to look at in Maine.

We are looking for a town that has houses that are walking distance to the beach but also to a town center with a library, coffee shop, churches, shops, etc. In other words, we want to be able to park the car in the driveway and walk to things rather than having to pack the kids in the car every time we want to go somewhere. We are also looking for a town where people are friendly so that we can be part of a real community vs. a town where everyone is seeking privacy and has no interest in getting to know their neighbor.

I know that Ogungquit (sp?) ME fits a lot of this description but I haven't been there in years and I didn't know if it had become less family-friendly and more of a "hot-spot" for singles (both gay and straight). We are a family of 4 with young children so we would love a town that's family-friendly.

Thank you -
I have read a number of posts here on the Maine forum and you do realize alot of what is being said is against someone like you. The whole "second" home deal and having the wealth to drive prices up and locals out. And someone is likely to say that you cannot possibly be able to relate to the "community" on a community basis unless you are surrounded by others who live a life of wealth & comfort. That being the case, most of your couterparts will want that privacy you want to avoid

Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,692,620 times
How much do you want to spend $$. Sacrborough Cape Elizibeth has very nice neighborhoods near the beaches. Is a great town and close to everything. Falmouth, Cumberland are also nice towns on the ocean. Cheack out and search for what you want. Don't worry I am not a realtor!

Maine IDX Listings -Maine Real Estate Listings (broken link)

Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 PM

Thank you flycessna! Is Cape elizabeth more year-rounders? The only reason why that matters to us is that sometimes it's hard to be the only family in the neighborhood who doesn''t live there year-round...it's like your always the outsider!

Do you know anything about the York area? I know that there are several areas within York (York Beach, York Harbor, etc) but I'm not sure if I know how they differ from eachother. I think we would be thrilled to find a place in Southern Maine that's highly walkable and where homes have sidewalks/porches/streets that are conducive to families getting to know eachother.

Thanks -

Old 08-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Also flycessna -we have a fairly flexible budget and we haven't seen any communities that we feel priced out of (now specific houses - that's another story! Some of the big homes right on the water which I've seen posted for $2M and up are not for us!)

Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,692,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisemarie View Post
Also flycessna -we have a fairly flexible budget and we haven't seen any communities that we feel priced out of (now specific houses - that's another story! Some of the big homes right on the water which I've seen posted for $2M and up are not for us!)
I think most of the towns along the coast are going to have a substantial year round population. But when you get on the water or some neighborhoods that border the water thats where you will have the best luck to find more seasonal residence. York, kennebunk area are also excellent choices. Another way to look at it probably the more you spend the more probability the location is seasonal.

Also consider some of Maines islands. Islands are largely seasonal and can even offer more bang for you buck depending on their isolation from the Maine land

Old 08-02-2007, 04:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,879,141 times
You also ned to take into account what time of year you would be using your home. I will take the liberty of assuming that you would use it in the summer, but if you have plans for also coming up during the winter months, you will want to look at whether or not the towns you look at essentially close up on Labor day (ok, maybe Columbus Day...)- many of the popular towns in the summer are quite close to being ghost towns during the winter. Instead of having 20 restaurants to choose from, your selection might dwindle down to the local brewery pub and the (locals) diner during the colder months. Most gift shops and what not close also, as well as most municipal activities (libraries, for example) reducing their open hours during the winter. Some villages that are just lovely to visit and shop in during the summer end up with just a general store/gas station and the post office open in the winter.. and nothing else!

Of course, if you are only coming in the summer.... you don't have to worry about that a bit!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:25 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,037,446 times
deerisle, I was just starting to wonder where you'd been! nice to see your posts!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,879,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
deerisle, I was just starting to wonder where you'd been! nice to see your posts!
Sorry.. I kinda got sucked into myspace for a few days..
*waves at Molly*

Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 PM

We actually would like to use it for more than just the summer (so weekends and holidays year-round).

I went to college in Maine and I've always wanted to get back there somehow/someway!

I also have been trying to recall a certain spot in Maine that I went to - a friend's house - many years ago. I have NO idea what town it was in but it was this wonderful old house (shingle-style Victorian) that was on a hill along with quite a few other older homes. I'm sure that some of them had water views but the house we stayed in did not. That said, we could easily walk down the hilly street to a small beach that wasn't over - crowded. I'd say that the beach ran maybe 1/2 mile long?

I keep wondering if the house was in one of the Yorks (York Harbor maybe?) but it was a pretty area without any McMansions - just older homes near the water and a small beach that didn't look like it was filled with tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine