U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,919,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Starwalker - It sounds like you might be using a portable propane heater in your kitchen and craftroom. If the heater has a flame and is not vented it could use up the oxygen in the room and create carbon monoxide (which is not good). Wouldn't want to see anything happen to you .
Yeah I have two of 'em... this house leaks like a sieve... there is no way ANYTHING could build up in here! You can feel the drafts...

Thanks for your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Speaking of good insulation.........I'm not sure if I've ever worn wool socks. Are they itchy? Here, of course, we go for the lightest breathable cotton we can find to keep our feet cool and dry.

I've also only worn boots a few times in my life. I hope they make some that are fashionable. Guess I'm going to have to get over THAT lifestyle conditioning. I'm sure that function is MUCH more important than fashion, and it probably won't take me many days with temps in the teens to get with the program!

But I am NOT going out to the store without my hair and makeup fixed. That's where I draw the line on "comfort".
GOOD wool socks should not be itchy... if they don't feel soft and nice, keep looking. I have only one pair left, I dunno where I got them but I am betting REI... "fashionable" is subjective, though... "high fashion" like you find on a Paris runway wouldn't fly here with the more laid-back beach style -- though there is an option to cutoffs and dollar store flip-flops, too. I have seen some nice looking boots with good traction and sheepskin lining (I am allergic to the synthetics) but they will be flats... and if you are going somewhere "dressy" you carry your heels and swap shoes when you hang up your coat... at least that was what we did in CO. Or if you were just going to a hotel or such for a party, you could wear your dress shoes and the way between the awning for the valet parking and the door would be clean, dry and often with heat blowing... I saw that in Chicago recently too.. but that is the big city and I don't expect it in the corner of ME where I will be hanging out. But then I don't own heels anyway~! LOL

Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Are flannel sheets warm?
YES! Even here in NC I put them on my bed as soon as the temps cool down... look for good, heavy all cotton ones. I have a couple of sets and the one I like the best and is the heaviest material is from the Martha collection from K-mart. I have an extra-deep mattress, so had to be careful to get ones that would fit.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:41 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,172,441 times
Quote:
Are flannel sheets warm?
YES! Check Sears, they have a great sale on flannel sheet sets right now, any size for $20.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM

29,742 posts, read 47,547,485 times
Quote:
Are flannel sheets warm?
Could be.

Depends on who is in them and how friendly she is.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Could be.

Depends on who is in them and how friendly she is.
LOL or HE ... my "he" is not around at present so I have to make do with 3 cats on me and a dog on the foot.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM

303 posts, read 1,291,739 times
Default I love flannel and down

We put the flannel sheets and down comforter on when it gets cold. My hubby has Swedish blood so he says he's hot, but I love it. The problem in NC is it is snowing and 10 degrees one minute and in a couple of days it's going to be 68!

I am torn about the old house/new house. I love old and historic but the practical side of me says get something new with good insulation. I am amazed that there are very few Energy Star homes available. Just seems to make sense in a location with such dramatic weather!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:34 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,820,785 times
I'm "In To" the whole "tiny house" idea at this time. I would adore a place with one large common room (kitchen living area) one decent sized bedroom, and a bathroom large enough to put a washer and dryer in. That's all we really need at this time in our lives but, I don't like apartment living. A "Tiny House" would be so nice.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:38 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,172,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I am torn about the old house/new house. I love old and historic but the practical side of me says get something new with good insulation. I am amazed that there are very few Energy Star homes available. Just seems to make sense in a location with such dramatic weather!
A well built old home is going to be better than a poorly built new home, AND have a bucket load more charm. A well built new home has the edge all over an older home, but there are aspects of the older homes I really like. The DW and I always end up looking at older homes when we are thinking of maybe getting a bigger place. She usually starts out looking at newer places and always settles on one that is 70+ years old to go see. Always augmented with the statement, "you can make it better than any new place." I looked at just how dramatic it can be here in Washburn and it isn't unusual to have a actual temperature range of 130+ degrees every 6 months, if you count in wind chill it goes to easy 150-160 degree change in a 6 month time frame.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:04 PM

you are so right about the temp variations in NC... the last couple of nights I have been glad for the flannel, blankets AND critters (46 degrees in the BR when I got up the other morning!) and in a couple of days we'll have warmed up to where I throw the blankets off, stick my feet out from under the flannel and push the critters to the foot of the bed.

Personally, I know anything new is out of my budget... and I my personal philosophy favors "pre-owned" in just about everything anyway... so I am fine with that. I may have to spend some to improve the place, but I am a fixer-upper by nature too and that can be done bit by bit, with "make-do" interim solutions as well.

I would love to try doing something like building a straw bale home, but working full time and building and having to have a place to live while I did it seems a bit of a stretch. But if that is what the Powers That Be have in mind, I have no doubt it will be what materializes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
We put the flannel sheets and down comforter on when it gets cold. My hubby has Swedish blood so he says he's hot, but I love it. The problem in NC is it is snowing and 10 degrees one minute and in a couple of days it's going to be 68!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or