U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM

31 posts, read 40,149 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Retired and time to spend enjoying the country we are planning a road trip to Bangor, we live near Buffalo, NY. Going out we thought about heading toward Portland spending a few days than up Rt. 1 to Bangor where we will spend a couple weeks (in need of a home base). Going home we thought about Hwy 2 to Mt. Washington and back down through NH & VT.

My question to all of you is what are some good routes (or Hwy's to avoid) and are we trying to see too much in a months time driving/seeing so much. There are SOOOOO many wonderful suggestions on this forum about places to visit. We plan to do mostly B&B's or other such places. Seeing the sites will not be difficult for us to find, it's the sleep overs, driving routes, and maybe just to much to visit that we are so unsure of.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help and suggestion. Alice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 AM

34,248 posts, read 11,467,769 times
What a wonderful time of life! Your trip sounds beautiful. I am sure you will get lots of suggestions from the fine folks here on the Maine forum. In NH you might try to take the Kangamangus Scenic Highway thru the white mountains. Kancamagus Scenic Byway - NETrailhead.com, New England Trailhead

It really is beautiful! I will leave it to the Mainers to make suggestions about Maine.

Enjoy!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:22 AM

2,303 posts, read 3,919,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceW2008 View Post

Going home we thought about Hwy 2 to Mt. Washington and back down through NH & VT.

Alice
Hi Alice, Good luck and have fun on your Maine vacation.
Rt.#2 west from Bangor is a beautiful road to take with a lot of quaint Maine towns. I live about 30 miles from the NH border on Rt.#2 and am 125 miles from Bangor, which translates to a 2 and 1/2 hour drive.
Enjoy!!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM

6,319 posts, read 8,194,033 times
When will you make this trip? Your Route 2 idea is good. I would not plan on the Kankamagus Highway in winter without checking first. The road itself can be dangerous and the snow banks this year will be so high you'll feel like you are in a tunnel most of the way. I recommend staying with Rt. 2 to St Johnsbury, VT. Then go south on Rt. 100 to the Rutland, VT area. Route 100 is one of the top 10 scenic roads in the USA.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
When will you make this trip? Your Route 2 idea is good. I would not plan on the Kankamagus Highway in winter without checking first. The road itself can be dangerous and the snow banks this year will be so high you'll feel like you are in a tunnel most of the way. I recommend staying with Rt. 2 to St Johnsbury, VT. Then go south on Rt. 100 to the Rutland, VT area. Route 100 is one of the top 10 scenic roads in the USA.
Oh my yes! I thought this was planning for a summertime trip. I wouldn't go the Kankamagus in the winter. But its hard for me to resist it if I am going to be over that way in the summer.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM

31 posts, read 40,149 times
Sorry that I did not mention the time of year, of course that would make a great dif. We think weather still good Sept. 1st to start our journey and maybe return back around Oct 1; could that be too late for the Kankamagus Hwy? Thanks!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,680,597 times
The Conway NH area is so pretty, it's worth 1-2 full days. You might consider making a complete loop: Route 302 westward over Crawford Notch, down 93 stopping in Franconia Notch State Park perhaps, then eastward along 112 (Kancamagus Hwy). Or some variation thereof :-)

Old 01-04-2008, 12:23 PM

They will be traveling during foliage season which is a mixed blessing and they may want to find "the road less traveled". Where ever they go thru NH VT and Maine, it will be glorious.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 PM

5,672 posts, read 7,796,280 times
I love Rt 2 from Newport into VT. When I had meetings with a publishing company I'd leave early so that I could stop at interesting places along the way.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 PM

453 posts, read 836,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
The Conway NH area is so pretty, it's worth 1-2 full days. You might consider making a complete loop: Route 302 westward over Crawford Notch, down 93 stopping in Franconia Notch State Park perhaps, then eastward along 112 (Kancamagus Hwy). Or some variation thereof :-)
I would agree this. the Franconia Notch area is just beautiful. Well worth spending a day or two, and the high has the most beautiful sights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine