U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM

406 posts, read 1,092,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Last issue of Uncle Henry's has one or two ads where older horses are being given away, as in "free", to good homes.
aww...I don't have a barn YET. I only have a medium size wooden shed that I'm converting for the goats.

I wonder what it would cost me to have a small barn built

That's my wish, to have a barn for my critters...a nice warm barn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:16 AM

2,904 posts, read 3,001,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
aww...I don't have a barn YET. I only have a medium size wooden shed that I'm converting for the goats.

Hill View Mini Barns (Etna) starts at $1800 for an 8x10 run in, and goes up to $6735 for a 10x30 with two enclosed stalls and a feed room. (HillViewMiniBarns.com) (I have no affiliation with them nor have I purchased anything from them.)

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Hill View Mini Barns (Etna) starts at $1800 for an 8x10 run in, and goes up to $6735 for a 10x30 with two enclosed stalls and a feed room. (HillViewMiniBarns.com) (I have no affiliation with them nor have I purchased anything from them.)
I'm going to check them out right now! Thank you!

Unread 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM

What a great site! I've already emailed them for more info.

Unread 01-09-2008, 12:37 PM

21,001 posts, read 24,874,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post

I made sheds for our goats out of wooden pallets [free], twine, plastic sheet, and staples. They like it.

I made two different kinds of coops for our chickens.

The first is 4' X 8' base, 6' high on one side and 4' high on the opposing side, sheet metal roof, people door, little chicken door, Plywood sides, etc. It is too heavy to be easily moved. It takes two men and six boys to pick it up to move it.

I then made a series of other sheds that are 4' X 8' base, 2' high on one side, 4' high on the opposing side, with lathe on top to support sheet metal roofing which includes an opening section on top. We wrapped it in chicken wire and then plastic sheet. We made four of these, on a $100 budget per unit.

They are much lighter. We have lifted them up onto the top of our station wagon, to move wherever we need them.

I also made a big pile of rectangle fence sections. 4' X 8' PVC 1" pipe covered with chicken wire. These can be setup like a house of cards, twined together to form an outdoor pen for chickens.

Now with these lighter ones two people can move each shed, and then one person can connect them together with a large outdoor run. It can all be moved so if you wanted to have chickens knock down a section of meadow or attack a bramble they can. They will strip it right down to dirt and rock too.

Unread 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,262,513 times
I built a pole barn for our goats in CO... sided with slabs. Actually the building went up first, before the house, and had three rooms.. a loafing shed for the goats on one end, the middle section was the milking parlour and feed storage (in galvanized trash cans) and on the other end, was the chicken coop. There was a people door into the milking parlor and from there into the chicken coop and goat size doors to the loafing shed and out to the goat yard. the chickens had a chicken size door out to their run as well.

When we got to building the house, it only had one room and a bath. LOL

I made another pole construction under a shade tree for the rabbits. They were in metal cages, suspended from or attached to the poles and lashed cross-members and the "siding" was recycled cardboard wrapped with plastic, in the winter. It was easy to replace the cardboard when it got soiled by the urine and to allow more cooling in the summer, while keeping them out of the rain. Roof was slabs covered by cardboard -- to make it smoother -- and then the plastic. Work great but I was glad it was down in the gully and out of site 'cause it would have made Ma and Pa Kettle's place look up town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I made sheds for our goats out of wooden pallets [free], twine, plastic sheet, and staples. They like it.

Last edited by starwalker; 01-09-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: add about the house

Unread 01-09-2008, 01:14 PM

411 posts, read 521,906 times
Thanks for the congrats all... they really are cute little guys. One is now blind in one eye, he got a piece of sawdust in it, and ended up w/pinkeye. It's not slowing him down at all though, and in a week or so he'll be back to normal and the sight will return. Pinkeye is such a pain!!!

Housing for goats is simple, it can be just about anything actually. Our first goat "shed" was a single-wide trailer that my husband stripped and redid with roughcut lumber. Cost alltogether about $400, and lasted for 2 years... then we would have had to redo the roof before this winter hit us, but we moved here before that became necessary.

Unread 01-09-2008, 02:06 PM

The goats will stay in the shed I have, shouldn't cost much to remodel it a bit...but I would need a bigger barn for a horse or possibly more critters.

I'm not nearly as handy as you all.

I'll let you know how my remodel on the shed goes though. I have it all thought out in my head. My dad built his own house (it's amazing) and he's not an architect...maybe I inherited that gene?! We'll see...I've never attempted anything before.

Unread 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM

521 posts, read 968,147 times
There are many sanctuaries/shelters that will adopt out goats, in case you weren't aware of it.

Unread 01-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
There are many sanctuaries/shelters that will adopt out goats, in case you weren't aware of it.
When I get the shed up and ready I'll be looking into where to get the goats from.

Thank you

(just got my estimate for the barn!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine