U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,138,945 times

Advertisements

Huh. So I'm thinking that isn't going to work. Maybe this will help. It's basic enough that you should be able to find everything in a grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,014,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
So, if we were to go away for the weekend we would need someone to check on the goats for us then...just incase they got out. I hadn't thought of that.

Do most vets around here treat farm animals too? We have a vet in Winthrop that we have seen regularly when we got our puppy. I'm going to ask if they take care of goats as well. If not I'll be looking for references in the Readfield area
Yes, check up on them, feed them, water them, milk them - twice a day.

Most vets here (rural central NH) do NOT treat livestock. My DW has learned to administer meds. We did talk our local small animal vet into giving the sheep rabies shots though (you can do this yourself too though here we need certification to show the animals at the fairs. Only licensed vets can give you certificate).

Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 AM

29,730 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Quote:
I don't know if I could trim their hooves myself...
I will gladly trim your goat's hooves for you [once], and show you how. It is easy, and really not hard to do at all.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 AM

406 posts, read 1,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I will gladly trim your goat's hooves for you [once], and show you how. It is easy, and really not hard to do at all.
I just may be taking you up on that Forest. Thank you.

Silly question...do all goats have to be milked?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,817,178 times
Quote:
I just may be taking you up on that Forest. Thank you.

Silly question...do all goats have to be milked?
Just the females ......just like dairy cows a nanny will need to be bred to produce milk. Forest (and others) know a lot more than I though.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Yes, check up on them, feed them, water them, milk them - twice a day.

Most vets here (rural central NH) do NOT treat livestock. My DW has learned to administer meds. We did talk our local small animal vet into giving the sheep rabies shots though (you can do this yourself too though here we need certification to show the animals at the fairs. Only licensed vets can give you certificate).
I'm going to call my vet Monday and check.

We have some nice kids down the street, I think I'll ask them if they would be interested in checking on the goats on the weekends we go away.

Do I have to check with the town before getting goats?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Just the females ......just like dairy cows a nanny will need to be bred to produce milk. Forest (and others) know a lot more than I though.
LOL...can you kinda tell I'm clueless? I still want them though!

Ok...so if I got a baby female and she never bred (breeded? mated? sigh) then she wouldn't need milking?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I don't know if I could trim their hooves myself...I'm a tad wimpy. I can't even trim my dogs toenails I think I would have to have the vet do that.
Remember that raising livestock is a lot of work. Trimming hooves will be easy compared to many of the tasks you have before you. Plus these animals require care twice a day - 365 days a year. Unlike you pet dogs it not so easy to load a herd of goats into the family vehicle for a week end get away or a summer vacation.

We utilize the 4Hers who free lease our sheep for showing. In exchange for a couple of sheep to use as 4H projects, the kids help out with mucking pens, feeding and watering, etc.

A lot of our animals, in the past, have come from folks with good intentions but find themselves in over their heads. Like when the cute spring lamb is now a 150 lb ram, or the pig keeps getting out of the pen, or the darling downy goslings are now a feisty flock of nipping geese.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Remember that raising livestock is a lot of work. Trimming hooves will be easy compared to many of the tasks you have before you. Plus these animals require care twice a day - 365 days a year. Unlike you pet dogs it not so easy to load a herd of goats into the family vehicle for a week end get away or a summer vacation.

We utilize the 4Hers who free lease our sheep for showing. In exchange for a couple of sheep to use as 4H projects, the kids help out with mucking pens, feeding and watering, etc.

A lot of our animals, in the past, have come from folks with good intentions but find themselves in over their heads. Like when the cute spring lamb is now a 150 lb ram, or the pig keeps getting out of the pen, or the darling downy goslings are now a feisty flock of nipping geese.

Good luck with your endeavours!

I appreciate the honesty.

How many hours a day would you say I would have to put into two does?

I spend a lot of time with my dog...but she does sleep a lot and she sure doesn't need milking.

I will read and research and let you guys know what we decided.

We're wanting to plant a veggie garden this summer too...something will have to give there. (I would rather it be the veggie garden truth be told) BUT, that's something we'll have to discuss.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the honesty.

How many hours a day would you say I would have to put into two does?

I spend a lot of time with my dog...but she does sleep a lot and she sure doesn't need milking.

I will read and research and let you guys know what we decided.

We're wanting to plant a veggie garden this summer too...something will have to give there. (I would rather it be the veggie garden truth be told) BUT, that's something we'll have to discuss.
A couple of does that are not needing to be milked wouldn't take much time at all. It's more the not being able to have a day off thing (unless you have help) Go for it I say. Not my intention to be discouraging at all, just sharing what has been my experience.
Besides, goat poop would make excellent fertilizer for you garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine