Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have heard them described like crepes and on this thread as muffins and I had thought they were like griddle cakes. Is there a traditional form, thickness and presentation: rolled or stacked?

I am familiar with "kasha" or "groats" which is a middle european roasted buckwheat dish that resembles cous-cous.
Ployes are like a heavier ( in texture) and thicker pancake- not at alllike kasha.

Tasty but also an acquired taste.

As Mermaid so accurately stated- - they stick to your ribs and thighs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 PM

87 posts, read 322,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieNova View Post
If you know where ployes come from, the Madawaska region, aka Edmundston and upper Maine, or if you've ever been to the Brayon Festival La Foire Brayonne, you would probably agree that they have the best ployes, hence the best tasting ployes ever.

Here is my truly brayonne ploye recipe! Enjoy!!!

This makes about 8-9 medium size ployes, double it if you need more.

Heat a pan to medium-high heat, you know it's ready when you drizzle water in your pan and it evaporates right away.

Also boil some water you'll need it later

1 cup of Buckwheat Flour ( I do buy it at Hannaford's in Madawaska)
1/2 cup of white flour
1 tea spoon of baking powder ( add more if you want it thicker, i find this to be enough )
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of cold water.

Wisk in together, it'll make a thick paste.

Once you have boiling water;
in a measuring cup, put a kidney been size of baking soda, then fill 1/2 cup of boiling water. The boiling water will activate the soda ( which makes the ploye have holes!!)

Mix all together.

Stirring your ploye mix between each ploye is what makes it perfect! and don't forget... you never flip a ploye.

Enjoy with real butter, and cretons!
Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the recipe.

Now if you could provide me with a recipe for cretons I would be forever grateful-they're one of my favorite foods and I haven't had any in years

Old 08-30-2008, 07:03 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,495 times
We tried them- from a store bought mix. I liked them but they are not the tangy buckwheat pancakes of my youth. My husband thought they were "OK, a nice change of pace". My 14yo didn't like them "Why couldn't we just jave regular pancakes?, but he tends to be a naysayer.

The girls LOVED them. Better than pancakes. "We should make these all the time."

The other two (one far away in France trying many exotic foods, the other sleeping still) haven't tried them yet.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,640 times
yes cretons, the pork spread but they are also good with maple sugar or molasse.. or cinnamon! hehe

Old 10-14-2009, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,562 times
Default Ploy`s

Oh man, I am so home sick. I need memere`s comfort foods. Down here in the south everyone looks at you crazy when you mention ploy`s, creton and or whoopy pies The best whoopy pies I have ever had was at the Irving Gas station in Fort Kent Maine....These were the best days of my life growing up and snacking on these goodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine