U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,662,457 times

Advertisements

". . . so I don't wander off topic" Well, you kinda did with the fallacy ". . . Don't worry about global warming. Real data shows a cooling trend for the last 20 years." Keep repeating that scientists lie, college educated people are the enemy, schools are the bastion of left-wing hypocrisy and, eventually, some of your neighbors will believe it. It has clearly worked on the gullible. So has a hell-bent, lying sales pitch. But the trick that has become ingrained in that political bent doesn't work on everyone.

Ice bad. Watched an idiot years ago with a brand new F150 with 10 day plates go flying through our fish traps, and the kids were on the other side of the truck when he went by. Doing about 45-50 on Branch Pond. I yelled at him, then when I saw the kids were safe, I yelled at the camp for the guys to come out and watch the show. Said idiot didn't see the pressure ridge ahead of him. As he nailed the brakes and slid over it, we were all cheering. Then the door opened and he leaped out while the brand spanky new truck slowly sank. It was over 100 yards from shore. Next day, local logger shows up with a JD440 and a LOT of cable and chain. Cable and chain is flayed out across the lake, diver goes in the hole, pops back out with his thumb up, climbs out on the ice and gets out of the way. Skidder fetches up a tire on a big pine and starts winching. Ice breaks all the way to shore, over about an hour, and, eventually, up pops a shiny, crushed tin can with four brand new Durango tires attached to it. Anyone that knows Branch Lake knows that giant granite boulders are strewn everywhere. The truck had to be dragged through them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 AM

9,663 posts, read 14,570,866 times
I wonder who was in charge of that exercise. The law says you have 72 hours to get your vehicle out of the lake after a sinking. There are experts at vehicle retrieval. They advertise at boat landings on lakes where such business is needed on a regular basis. Most vehicles are on the bottom and right side up. There are videos of retrievals where the vehicle is undamaged except that it is very very wet. ;-)

Old 01-31-2019, 10:12 AM

9,663 posts, read 14,570,866 times
Wow. This thread began in 2008. Much has bee said about ice. I'll mention three things today:

1. The annual ice harvest at Floods Pond in Orrington is this Saturday. It is interesting to see how our forefathers harvested ice for refrigeration. They have a newly constructed ice house. I hope they did it the old way. I have been in ice houses where the ice was two years old

https://www.visitbangormaine.com/eve...stead-village/

2. When ice is very cold like 20 below it has pretty good traction. The warmer ice gets from thee, the less traction you have until it becomes wet. At that point there is essentially no traction. Two years ago, on a warm day of about 35 degrees, I washed my snowmobile to get any salt off it. I discovered that there is something even more slippery than wet ice; SOAPY wet ice. Lesson learned. Wear your YakTrax. People with my hair color should not do body slams. Not only does it hurt, you are instantly soaked to the skin.

3. Moving water under the ice, erodes the ice underneath. Ice thickness on rivers varies greatly, but many Maine ponds are spring fed. Spring water (and drilled well water) in Maine is usually 55 degrees out of the ground. Warm water rises and water from a good spring will rise to the ice. I know some lakes where there is open water in holes in lake ice. you can go through on foot, on your snowmobile or in your nice new pickup.

Food for thought: Be safe and ask the locals. Two feet of ice will support a moving logging truck.

Oh yeah; The 'waffle festival' is this Saturday at the Quad County Snowmobile Club in Springfield. All you can eat for five bucks.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 01-31-2019 at 10:20 AM..

Old Today, 06:42 PM

199 posts, read 116,048 times
Great, invaluable stuff, NMLM. THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine