U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 AM

612 posts, read 1,063,234 times

Advertisements

My DH and I have posted on other threads about our visits to Maine and our choice for Eastport and how we acquired our home. We look forward to living our dream...living in a small, working fishing village (city) and becoming a part of the community. In Eastport I found the inspiration that my spirit needs to fulfill the yearning to live near the sea, breath the ocean air, and hear the sounds of the sea gulls and distant fog horn. We found the people of Eastport to be proud of their city, hard working, and innovative to keep their city alive and viable for the future. I could write an epiphany of the beauty that we saw during our trip to Maine but this forum and time does not permit. I would just say...come and see...you will not be disappointed to visit or live in the beautiful State of Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 AM

12,421 posts, read 2,788,708 times
Oh no, we aren't thinking we'll save money, though real estate is less expensive there now. It's just that there is nothing Downeast for work..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 PM

455 posts, read 1,087,606 times
We were both born and raised in Cape Neddick maine and 50 years ago it was alot different than it is now. We have been living in Florida for the last 20 years and are so longing for Maine. We wish for the Maine of our youth. Although, I know we could never find that exactly, the further northern Maine you go the more like the Maine I remember, is what I see. As for the town we are ending up in, it was just by finding someone that would rent us a small little house, in Limestone. Found it on Craig's list (after recomendations from all of you on this site) "THANK YOU ALL"
Then one of the nicest guys that lives in the area (Bydand) took pictures for me. What great people Maine Has!!!!
We will be moving in in April or May or June....depends when the snow melts enough for us to find the house
Can't wait to be home again.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:03 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,313 times
Not too much longer for you! Congrats!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 AM

164 posts, read 210,279 times
What a great thread, Elcarim!
Jenkaye, that was a beautiful story.
Hello to everyone who posts on these Maine threads. I'm quite shy by nature, and have been nervous about joining in with my own posts. Each one of you seems so friendly, that I gained the courage to share...
I've been reading the Maine threads since July,'07 when I first came up here on a job interview. I interviewed at a couple places, but just fell in love with the Bangor area. To the surprise of my family, I actually accepted the position at the end of my interview! They were surprised, and very happy for me (my parents now have a beautiful place to come and spend the summers), but moving my husband and children has been more of a challenge. We've been here since October '07.
This may be a bit too much "city" for some, but I am a transplant from a rather crowded state, so this feels just right.(I had an hour commute each way to and from work, and after six years at that position, needed a change.)
The best way to sum up my experience is that the people I have encountered here are kind, considerate, smile back at me and respond in-kind when I say hello or have-a-nice-day, and are happy to share their experiences if you ask. I have been welcomed by my new co-workers and seem to fit-in just fine.
I have set out to make this my permanent home, and have already found that I love the Orono Farmer's market and the Buck Street Market. ( There is a lovely woman at the Buck Street market that sells the most delicious homemade Hungarian foods-stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers, soup-Oh my goodness, I am going to have to start running again to prevent gaining weight!!) The University close by is great ( I hope my daughter will choose to go there).
I spend my days off looking around at the great nature surprises-unexpected views of mountains, a lake where you can put-in three miles from my home, the birds that visit the woods in my yard, and of course Mt. Desert Island/ Acadia. My next adventure is going to be to find Moosehead Lake.
True, I am "from away", but I feel like I've come home. I love Maine.
Have a nice day, everyone!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Williams View Post
What a great thread, Elcarim!
Jenkaye, that was a beautiful story.
Hello to everyone who posts on these Maine threads. I'm quite shy by nature, and have been nervous about joining in with my own posts. Each one of you seems so friendly, that I gained the courage to share...
I've been reading the Maine threads since July,'07 when I first came up here on a job interview. I interviewed at a couple places, but just fell in love with the Bangor area. To the surprise of my family, I actually accepted the position at the end of my interview! They were surprised, and very happy for me (my parents now have a beautiful place to come and spend the summers), but moving my husband and children has been more of a challenge. We've been here since October '07.
This may be a bit too much "city" for some, but I am a transplant from a rather crowded state, so this feels just right.(I had an hour commute each way to and from work, and after six years at that position, needed a change.)
The best way to sum up my experience is that the people I have encountered here are kind, considerate, smile back at me and respond in-kind when I say hello or have-a-nice-day, and are happy to share their experiences if you ask. I have been welcomed by my new co-workers and seem to fit-in just fine.
I have set out to make this my permanent home, and have already found that I love the Orono Farmer's market and the Buck Street Market. ( There is a lovely woman at the Buck Street market that sells the most delicious homemade Hungarian foods-stuffed cabbage, stuffed peppers, soup-Oh my goodness, I am going to have to start running again to prevent gaining weight!!) The University close by is great ( I hope my daughter will choose to go there).
I spend my days off looking around at the great nature surprises-unexpected views of mountains, a lake where you can put-in three miles from my home, the birds that visit the woods in my yard, and of course Mt. Desert Island/ Acadia. My next adventure is going to be to find Moosehead Lake.
True, I am "from away", but I feel like I've come home. I love Maine.
Have a nice day, everyone!
s. nice post!!! and welcome to maine, and welcome to the forum, dont be shy about posting,,,most folks on here are real friendly, very few nose-pickers, that scrutinize one or two words,,, or down someone with a different point of view

Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
geez S I'd be there for the stuffed cabbage!! yum!!

I'm glad you're enjoying Bangor--I loved living there, and it's very near and dear to my heart

Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,810,482 times
Welcome to the Forum SWilliams!!! I'm glad you have been welcomed properly to the Bangor area. Take your shoes off,,, sit a spell.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,928,158 times
Welcome!! And you'll have to get over the shyness real quickly! You'll find your place here right away when you just jump in with both..........hands??

Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 AM

121 posts, read 354,002 times
Default Gorham

We ended up in Gorham. (We are moving from southern NH). Nothing against any other part of the state but we wanted to be near Portland as we are both in the high-tech field and wanted options in jobs. But we still wanted to be somewhat rural, and we found some lovely property with 9 acres. What we love about it the most is that it does have a small town feel but all the conveniences, and USM, and we are only 15 minutes from the airport, and all the great restaurants and things to do in Portland. But we live in a wildlife preserve with a pond, stream, plenty of deer (okay, not such a good thing for the garden), that's quiet and private. For us it's the best of both worlds.

When we were looking we had a requirement that we had to be within a half-hour drive of a mooring field where we could keep our sailboat (which is currently Falmouth). We looked as far north as Gray and down to Scarborough. We didn't look a lot near the water itself as the cost is higher. With so much on the market though we could be somewhat picky. We spent a lot of time looking around, driving around. We looked at a ton of listings and drove by a lot of properties. This being our 4th home we kind of knew what we were looking for and what we weren't. For us the property and house became important - I think we would be just as happy in the right house in Scarborough, Yarmouth, Falmouth, Windham, etc. But we do really like our new neighborhood and Gorham, and think we will be very happy there. The people couldn't be nicer to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or