U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,013,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

We buy the cheapest generic coffee available, then we mix it 50/50 with roasted barley.

Try it, you will like it.

Try it I will. Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Never heard of drinking roasted barley, but I can imagine it's very healthy. Thanks for the tip. I will have to try that! So do you just throw it in and grind it with the coffee beans?
We have ground them together.

Right now we are buying the roasted barley already ground [because it is available and cheap]. So we mix them both already ground.

I have no idea about the carbs.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,013,805 times
I started drinking coffee with my parents as a young teen. So of course I drank it as they did - a splash of whole milk and a scant tsp. of sugar.

Later in life I joined the Army and drank lots of coffee - black. I continued drinking black coffee until I met my wife. She liked a variety of flavored coffee. We were living in San Diego and had no kids and were making good money so we frequented different coffee houses and drank gourmet coffees.

Now I have 4 kids, live back in New England for 10 years now and am a poor carpenter. So for all of you offering refreshing ideas to perk up my Folgers - Many Thanks!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,165,285 times
I also love the chicory based coffees- such as Cafe du Monde in New Orleans.
Of course the beignets that accompany the coffee are also exquisite!

From what I recall, chicory was a good, cheap coffee stretcher during the Great Depression. Guess the taste caught on.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:58 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,933,280 times
Where do find chicory? I've heard of it but never seen it or used it.

ps. And who'd a thunk it?? We've had quite a discussion today over, of all things, coffee! I only expected a few good responses and suggestions, but look at the wealth of information we have amassed!!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:04 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,533,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
I started drinking coffee with my parents as a young teen. So of course I drank it as they did - a splash of whole milk and a scant tsp. of sugar.

Later in life I joined the Army and drank lots of coffee - black. I continued drinking black coffee until I met my wife. She liked a variety of flavored coffee. We were living in San Diego and had no kids and were making good money so we frequented different coffee houses and drank gourmet coffees.

Now I have 4 kids, live back in New England for 10 years now and am a poor carpenter. So for all of you offering refreshing ideas to perk up my Folgers - Many Thanks!!!

I remember Magnum Mike saying that he sprinkled a little cinnamon over his grounds. Helpful?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,512,943 times
has anyone tried The Udder Place? it's on Brighton Ave in Portland... Good coffee DH introduced me to it one of the first times I went to Portland with him. There's one in Brunswick now too....

DH remembers Maine Roasters when it first started in the old woolen mill in Yarmouth on Bridge Street....When he was down there a few weeks ago he came home and told me that they're "no more"....merging with Freaky Bean....just like you said Bewitched!

I don't like Starbucks at all--heartburn in a cup. ick....

I do like Green Mountain and New England. And even though I like the foo foo flavors, Bob that pumpkin pie one didn't do a thing for me! lol.... Southern Pecan and also the Hazelnut from Green Mountain are my favorite flavors. There's a breakfast blend that's nice, and I like the Vermont Country Blend too.

I haven't tried the one 7th gen mentioned, I'll have to write it down and look for it

Old 01-05-2008, 08:08 PM

306 posts, read 922,446 times
Really?

No one has mention Tim Hortons?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,157,737 times
Molly, sometimes we're on the same page ... as we have similar tastes in our coffee!

Camper ... I drink Tim Hortons when I'm at the in-laws in New Brunswick! I like it!

For you vanilla lovers just a couple of drops on the grounds before dripping adds an interesting twist.

Another twist I enjoy is a cup of light roast black and a shot glass of Drambuie. I use the coffee as a chaser. Really nice on a cool evening. Warms ya from the inside!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,461,599 times
Get the cheapest brand in the store. Use an extra 2 tablespoons to brew a pot. To the ground coffee, add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp cocoa powder. To each mug, add your choice of sweetener and cream or the powdered stuff and enjoy the morning in style. That's how I spell morning coffee. Keep a travel mug ready on your counter to take it with you when you have to go out. Brands mean nothing. Knowing how to make good coffee from any brand of coffee is all you need for perfect coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or