U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,521 posts, read 4,946,303 times

Advertisements

WELCOME!!

Welcome to the City Data & Maine Forums!

I am not in New England yet, so I cannot answer any of your questions, but I

am sure that the regulars in Maine will chime in soon

GOOD LUCK with your future moves! Maine is AMAZING, and the people even

better!!!

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kargo View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Maine in June. We are both doctors. He will be working in Bangor, and I will be working in Waterville. Ideally, we would like to live somewhere in between the two places. We are both "city folks" and would prefer more populated areas, close to shopping, movies / theater (I understand that Maine is a rural state). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,056 times
Default Moving to Maine?

Hi there-
Since you are both Doctors and want to be in the City, have you looked into the Portland Area? This is the largest city in Maine(population of approx. 70,000) and offers you the things that you are looking for, plus a 2 hour drive to Boston.
I grew up in Orono, 8 miles north of Bangor so know the areas you are looking at, and between the two, the towns are pretty rural, yes. After living in California for years relocated into Portland 12 years ago
I would imagine with Maine Medical and Mercy Hospitals there would be opportunities for you professionally and to get you closer to "city life", if that is even an option.
Best of Luck

Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
What are you looking for? City? Ocean? Small town?
We're not interested in living in a large city. My wife is a school teacher and she doesn't want our kids to go to a huge school. It would be cool to be within a short(less than 2 hours)drive from the ocean but we want to live in an area that is large enough that it is self-sustainable. It's got to have a hospital also because I am graduating from nurse anesthesia school in a few more months and I will generally need to be within 20 minutes from the hospital.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,926,331 times
thank you! know NE has winter, too! My people are from that general neck of the prarie... (Missouri Valley, IA, Omaha area and one lived in Valentine NE where I spent many a HOT summer! (but at least it was dry... <g>

We are looking at used ones, of about that vintage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihate the big"O" View Post
I don't live in Maine. I live in NEbraska and want to live in Maine. I Have a 2001 subaru forester. I bought it 3 yrs old and love it. We have only needed to do routine maintence. It gets around great in the snow. I work night and the rodes are rarely cleared when I get off work and have had no trouble getting around. although the most snow I have seen in 1 shot is 8 inches. but very happy

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,451,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathernut View Post
We're not interested in living in a large city. My wife is a school teacher and she doesn't want our kids to go to a huge school. It would be cool to be within a short(less than 2 hours)drive from the ocean but we want to live in an area that is large enough that it is self-sustainable. It's got to have a hospital also because I am graduating from nurse anesthesia school in a few more months and I will generally need to be within 20 minutes from the hospital.
Where you live will be determined by where you can get a job. There are relatively few hospitals in Maine, considering the geographic size of the state. Hospitals develop as a function of population.

My guess is that you will end up either in the greater Portland, Waterville, or Bangor areas. My further guess is that you may work at several hospitals and have several different "commutes" depending on demand and other staffing considerations. Example, if you work at St. Joseph's Hospital in Bangor, you might end up with some work in either Blue Hill, or Ellsworth, or even Machias.

As far as "huge schools" are concerned, Maine is undergoing a very major state wide school redistricting process....read: WAR. The governor's proposal is to radically shrink the number of school districts in the state so that the people of the State of Maine can afford to have schools for their children, instead of school buildings and school administrators with little or no education of students taking place.

In the end, most people will find their children being a part of a 2500 or larger school population district, and will probably be going to school in the next town or further by bus.

Don't plan on a "neighborhood" school, because the small towns of Maine cannot longer afford the enormous, unfunded mandates pushed up their noses by the Maine Department of Eduction. These unfunded mandates are driving up the cost of local education (AND the local property tax rates) to the point that the big political cry is to find a method of tax relief. The governor's solution is to make very large school districts.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 PM

5,974 posts, read 11,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
As far as "huge schools" are concerned, Maine is undergoing a very major state wide school redistricting process....read: WAR. The governor's proposal is to radically shrink the number of school districts in the state so that the people of the State of Maine can afford to have schools for their children, instead of school buildings and school administrators with little or no education of students taking place.
Do you really consider Maine's children to be uneducated? And if so, what are you doing to improve the situation?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:27 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,926,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Do you really consider Maine's children to be uneducated? And if so, what are you doing to improve the situation?
Well I taught mine at home and would do it again! There is nothing quite like being able to capture those "learning moments" when ever they happen... and following the thread of their interests, tying everything in.... schools can not do that.

Honestly, I think the best education might well have been in a one-room schoolhouse, because the little kids were exposed to the stuff the big kids were learning all the time. Mine were motivated to learn to cypher because they wanted to do algebra, 'cause their big sis did!

I would gladly volunteer in a small school.. even though I am a granny... but in the big ones -- though they may need it more -- I would feel too disconnected.

Guess I'll have to find a 4H club to work with...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM

17,240 posts, read 22,294,317 times
Quote:
My husband and I will be moving to Maine in June. We are both doctors. He will be working in Bangor, and I will be working in Waterville. Ideally, we would like to live somewhere in between the two places. We are both "city folks" and would prefer more populated areas, close to shopping, movies / theater (I understand that Maine is a rural state). Any suggestions? Thanks.
the town of newport, would be close to halfway between waterville and bangor, its a decent town, with smaller towns all around, nice wide open areas,

Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM

29,772 posts, read 47,673,471 times
Quote:
Betwixt Bangor and Waterville are many lovely areas. I am sure that you will enjoy your stay.

Maine as a whole is under going changes in the effort to tighten the belt of over-spending school districts. All is not lost, the world is not ending, everything will be fine. The governor has decided to try to shrink the number of executive administrators and not the schools, nor curriculum. Regardless of what some may tell you.

Welcome to Maine.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 AM

281 posts, read 944,871 times
I live in Atlanta and grew up and left Brewer maine in 97. ***sigh****

I recently visited Bangor for leaf season in October. If I could reloate I would take one of those large old homes near Broadway (the ones the lumber barons built) and fully restore it. Being doctors live In Bangor for the historic culture and fly to Boston once a month for a theater wekeend.

Bangor will out you an hour away from great costal haunts as well as Baxter state park. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine