U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times

Advertisements

I guess I better not plan on many trips to Canada.. I have my birth cert. (a certified copy, no less) and my drivers license but the name on the two is VERY different... I have been married several times and in the end did a legal name change over 35 years ago.... I can see trying to get some border guard to swallow all that.. even though I COULD haul along all the docs! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Below is a cut and paste from Dept of Homeland Security website. The magic day is Jan 31, 2008. Without a passport, NEXUS, CENTRI, or FAST card, you will need a Gov't issued id (driver's license will suffice there) AND a copy of your birth certifcate or Naturalization certificate (if a Naturalized US citizen)
NEXUS, CENTRI, AND FAST cards are gov't issued like a passport. You go through a vetting process to obtain one. Our state Gov't had the infinite wisdom to not participate in the "hardened ID" driver's license. States that comply with that (and basically its a driver's license that one must prove citizenship to acquire) will have the state driver's license accepted as ID. Maine's licenses will not because you don't have to prove citizenship to obtain one. Here's the cut and paste....(WHTI is Western Hempisphere Travel Initiative)

Beginning January 31, 2008, the Department plans to move towards WHTI implementation at land and sea ports of entry by ending the routine practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship alone.

Citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda will need to present the following to enter or depart the United States by land or sea:

U.S., Canadian, and Bermudian Citizens
Ages 19 and older: a government-issued photo ID, such as a driverís license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
Children ages 18 and younger: proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.
Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
Star, you're a pip!! Time for another name change,... how about "Star Walker"? Star is a common female name here. Your post has me smiling.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,141,538 times
Quote:
So, has it been established yet when passports into Canada will be required? Or has that law even been passed. I haven't kept up very well.
To be technically correct, Elcarim, Canada doesn't have a passport requirement for US citizens. We'll still let you in with a driver's licence and a birth certificate. It's the US that is going to require all persons entering the country to be in possession of a valid passport. That requirement is currently in place for entry into the US by air, but the implementation date for land entries keeps changing as border states and provinces urge the US government to find a more convenient method of security identification.

See the following link for duty free personal exemption amounts: Duty-Free Exemption - CBP.gov (http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/duty_free.xml - broken link)

Old 01-06-2008, 09:12 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I go up across only when I have a hunger for a Donair. MMMMMM delicious stuff.
Speaking of Donairs I concur, not a whole lot of foods I found that appealed to my Southern tastebuds "up north". Wife is from just east of Fredericton so we are there at least yearly. First thing I do is look up a Pizza Delight ... they make the best!!!

The passport simplifies things so much! Why not carry one?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:40 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
The price of the passport is such a rip in the US. Why not a universal ID issued to everyone born here in the US. It's not that hard, because we already has SSN's, and if the SSN and universal ID were issued at birth, think of how much easier it would be. If I wanted to cross the border between Canada and the US, I would arrange transportation to somewhere in Manitoba or Sask. and simply walk across some farmers field into North Dakota, or Montana. No even half way intelligent terrorist would try and cross the border in a high traffic area.

Border crossings have always been somewhat of a joke between Canada and the US. So, what are we getting all ansty about. What about the border between the US and Mexico. If I were the Canadians, I would have a real attitude. What do we do if we find illegals from Mexico here, we send them back or lose them in the paper shuffle or just forget about them altogether. . If a Canadian does the same thing, it's Clint Eastwood time to Hang Em High. I know the Canadians remember the Escourt Station Maine issue with a Canadian from Quebec who crossed the border without permission.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but on this subject I am.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Sounds good to me! Anything to make a border crossing easier. I am surprised that they have access to all the state DMV registrations. All the states are still not completely tied in to a national license plate registry. Maybe big brother watches closer than we think!!! Which I have suspected since 2000!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:54 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,141,538 times
Quote:
The price of the passport is such a rip in the US.
You have it easy. LOL

The US currently charges $97 for a 10-year passport. Compare that to the $87 the Canadian government charges for a 5-year.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 AM

914 posts, read 1,844,872 times
maine4.us,
The Escourte situation wasn't reported exactly as it might have been. The individual in question made entry into the US without reporting, he also had a felon conviction which made him excludable. Third problem was he had just been duck hunting and had a firearm in his vehicle. He was given the option of being "VR'd" which means "Voluntary Returned" to Canada. He would have paid a fine, the paperwork that you mentioned completed and he would have hopefully understood the necessity of not doing what he did. He however refused that and said he wanted a jury trial. Well, the closest Federal court was Bangor and his court date was set a couple months down the road. I guess the question would be how should a felon making entry without reporting who is carrying a firearm be handled if he refused to be VR'd? He had a right to a jury trial and as it turned out he decided to plea out before it made it to trial, because he stood to get quite a few years in the pokey for what he had done. There was no doubt about his doing the things he was accused of so his lawyer made a smarter decision than he had been making up to that point.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,510,961 times
the crossing between Eastport and Deer Island, NB is very small scale. There are no "license plate readers", there isn't even a building where the ferry docks in Eastport, and a tiny building in Deer Island where that same ferry docks. Very laid back, and that's how we hope it stays. The customs agents on both sides will tell you that they choose to be at that crossing and fight to stay there--I can't blame them a bit.

Depending on where we're going on the Canadian side, we've driven down to Eastport and crossed on the ferry to Deer Island, drove to the other side of the island and waited for the ferry to go to the mainland. There are days in the summer when the border is so bad in Calais that the 28 mile drive to Eastport and the crossing will get us further into NB faster than crossing here. Our hope is that when the new bridge is completed the downtown and Milltown crossings will open mainly to "local" traffic. Also, all commercial vehicles will be using the new crossing, so that will make an enormous difference

and Mainer, the 45th Parallel is just incredible! It's run by 2 sisters, who moved to Deer Island and bought it practically on a whim. They are a hoot I'm so glad you found that! Corgis have you been over there?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,510,961 times
I think it's also important to note, as terrible as this may sound to some, you can be refused entry to visit either the US or Canada. You might have all the correct paperwork, but if for some reason the customs agent feels something is "off", you're turned around. Visiting another country is a not a "right", and having known a few customs agents, more people are turned around than we in the public realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or