Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,007 times

Advertisements

GREAT PICS!!!

Three species of wildcats once roamed the New Hampshire woods. Mountain lions (also called cougars, panthers or catamounts) were gone from the state by the late 1800s. The lynx, lived in northern New Hampshire through the 1950s. Today, only the tenacious bobcat is still here. No one knows for sure, but probably several hundred bobcats still live in the Granite State. The southwestern corner of New Hampshire has the most consistent reports of bobcat sightings.

For centuries, bobcats were killed for bounty in New Hampshire, and by the late 1970s, bobcats had become scarce. New Hampshire's hunting and trapping seasons for bobcat were finally closed in 1989. In less than a decade, bobcats went from being bountied in New Hampshire to being completely protected.

The bobcat population in New Hampshire has increased since that time, but not by much, because now the state's bobcats face new challenges. Fishers and coyotes compete with bobcats for a dwindling prey pool, and development breaks up the large blocks of habitat bobcats need.

I've spent a lot of time in the woods and been fortunate to have seen bobcats in the wild on 2 different occasions, though I have never seen fisher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I have a big thank you to hedge for giving me permission to use the story and photos in MNN this week. I seldom get to report something like a bobcat. I think the last one, other than a couple I've seen but had nothing to report, was last winter when a bobcat spent several days feeding on a deer carcass. Hedgie's been a big asset to MNN.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 AM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
One night (some 40 years ago) I was walking at night in Canterbury NH in what was then rural and scattered farm land. I heard a blood curtling scream--one of the scariest sounds I ever heard. I was told that it was a bob cat. If so...I am surprised no one else has commented on their scream. Like I say, it was 40 years ago...but it still unnerves me.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
Through the early 70's, there was a $15 bounty on bobcat.
it is amazing how little a track they leave in deep snow. Their front feet are larger then the back allowing the cat to turn on a dime while chasing prey. On Thanksgiving, myself and two buddies went bird hunting and as we would sink 10 to 16 inches in the snow, we noticed a bobcat track that only sunk in 4-6 inches. The cat's feet have fur that extends past their pads, allowing them to stay on top of the snow.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:21 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,618 times
Those cats are beautiful. Wow!
I loved those pics.

I'm going to google them now and read all I can about them.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
One night (some 40 years ago) I was walking at night in Canterbury NH in what was then rural and scattered farm land. I heard a blood curtling scream--one of the scariest sounds I ever heard. I was told that it was a bob cat. If so...I am surprised no one else has commented on their scream. Like I say, it was 40 years ago...but it still unnerves me.
The sound is erie and will make ones hair stand on end.
Water and Woods: Downloads / Animal Sounds / Bobcat (http://waterandwoods.net/download.php?view.60 - broken link)

Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 AM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
The sound is erie and will make ones hair stand on end.
Water and Woods: Downloads / Animal Sounds / Bobcat (http://waterandwoods.net/download.php?view.60 - broken link)
Yes, thats it! I remembered it as being a bit higher pitched, it was terrifying as I was out walking in the moonlight and in unfamiliar territory. It sounded pretty close and I quickly went back to where we were camping.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:08 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Yes, thats it! I remembered it as being a bit higher pitched, it was terrifying as I was out walking in the moonlight and in unfamiliar territory. It sounded pretty close and I quickly went back to where we were camping.
YIKES! I can't imagine hearing that in the wild while camping...

I wonder if that's a noise like "you're getting too close...back off" or if it's like chatter to them...

Old 01-12-2008, 09:13 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
When a bobcat growled at me it was clearly "back off or I'll eat you and your little rooster too!"

Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
I expected for the dogs to startle when I played that....they both looked up from their naps like "what did you just do??", but nothing more than that. Me on the other hand? not quite the same reaction! That's definitely a "back off baby"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine