U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,214 times

Advertisements

Hi,
This is my first attempt of advise or help. I will look up the habits of these animals to see what my options are. I am a good shot but hate the thought of killing a cat. Am I even allowed?
I have a horse farm with yearlings and I board other poeples horses, and I have Bobcats, Coyote's and Fox. The Bobcats have made off with one of my ducks and I'm sure their be back for the rest and then the chickens. I know they'll take out a deer, how about a small horse by it's mothers side, or just a smaller horse? Does anyone know how they hunt, time of day, using the same way in or out, same technique? Do they hunt or live in packs?
I need to find a way to rid of these cats, they much more daring then the dog predators and these cats are EVERYWHERE around the barn and house. I have a row of very large Evergreen tress separating the back yard and one of the pastures, will they sit in a tree and wait? A little worried.

Last edited by Percheron Peak; 02-07-2009 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: add to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,214 times
These animals are the most beautiful, cats are one of my favorite critters. So amazing, Excellent use of a camera!!

Old 02-07-2009, 12:40 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,966,626 times
Awesome pix! I agree the behavior is clever, but not unusual.
I've been wanting for years to see a cat in the wild. I did see a cougar once in Dennysville.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:46 PM

738 posts, read 1,613,224 times
Great pictures. I had a bobcat living in my barn last winter in Westbrook.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 47,320 times
Default Ack! Don't shoot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percheron Peak View Post
Hi,
This is my first attempt of advise or help. I will look up the habits of these animals to see what my options are. I am a good shot but hate the thought of killing a cat. Am I even allowed?
I have a horse farm with yearlings and I board other poeples horses, and I have Bobcats, Coyote's and Fox. The Bobcats have made off with one of my ducks and I'm sure their be back for the rest and then the chickens. I know they'll take out a deer, how about a small horse by it's mothers side, or just a smaller horse? Does anyone know how they hunt, time of day, using the same way in or out, same technique? Do they hunt or live in packs?
I need to find a way to rid of these cats, they much more daring then the dog predators and these cats are EVERYWHERE around the barn and house. I have a row of very large Evergreen tress separating the back yard and one of the pastures, will they sit in a tree and wait? A little worried.

WOW....I can't believe anyone would shoot something so amazing. I know you've got a farm to care for...but frankly, your post bums me out. I hope you can find a way to protect your stock without any harm coming to the cats.

I've not revisited this post since last winter when I originally posted the pics. The cats moved on not long after they were taken. This year we've only seen one, and it was quite a bit smaller than either of these two were. But just as bold. Sitting right up on mom's deck, waiting for a snack.

I still get a thrill thinking how close we got to those two magnificent beasties last year

hedgie

Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Quote:
Hi,
Quote:
The Bobcats have made off with one of my ducks and I'm sure their be back for the rest and then the chickens.
You have to close them up for their safety and the safety of your horses. They'll continue to return if they can find easy meals. If you remove the food source they should move on.
Quote:
Does anyone know how they hunt, time of day, using the same way in or out, same technique? Do they hunt or live in packs?
There isn't a certain time. I see them in the day and find fresh tracks made over night. I saw one on a snowbank an hour ago.

Quote:
I need to find a way to rid of these cats,
The warden(s) should be able to help you. A nuisance cat spent a few days up the road last week. She tried to rip her way into a greenhouse to get the ducks and tear the cover off the window of the hen house and caused other problems. They couldn't dissuade her and she insisted on staying in the barn very close to the house. My friend called the warden. He called her back a short time later to ask if he could send bobcat hunters out.

A wildlife biologist told me bobcats don't relocate well, especially in winter.

Quote:
I have a row of very large Evergreen tress separating the back yard and one of the pastures, will they sit in a tree and wait? A little worried.
I don't know about sitting in a tree but they will hide and wait.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Before anyone shoots a bobcat.

I am still interested in capturing a few of these guys. I will not harm them, a catch and release program if you will. They will be well fed in the interim.

I have a live trap, I can lone it to anyone who is having problems with bobcats.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:36 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,642,890 times
Quote:
Hi,
apply all your opptions befor you shoot one.have you seen the cat?if you havent seen it how do you know its a bob cat.id be more incline to think its a fox thats killing your poltry.no bobcats dont run in packs they are a tarratorial animal other then offspring no other cat is in their tarratory.if your worried about the cat going after your horse. dont! they are not that stupid.have you ever seen a horse pi@#t off they will kill a bear if they have to.i made a thing to keep deer out of my garden.and i would think the same contraption would work for you.i will DM you with what i come up with.cats are stalkers and if your ducks and chickens get to close then they will be lunch.if its coyotes shoot them the best way to find out what is killing your ducks.set up a dvd camera and put down some bait then you will know what your dealing with if its a cat the warden will trap it for you if its a fox or a coyote shoot them.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,966,626 times
Quote:
Hi,
Bobcats take young spring deer maybe. Miniature horses might be in jeopardy, but nothing bigger. Bobcats principally eat small birds and rodents. They generally weigh 15-35 lbs. and they are ambush predators. They would rather sit and wait for an opportunity rather than chase something. They are solitary and do not hunt in packs. If you see more than one together then that is most likely a family group. Like most predators they are nocturnal but they will hunt during the day if the opportunity is there.
Your best option is trapping...you can probably get an animal control official to set you up. If not there is usually someone in the neighborhood that has a hav-a-hart trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine