Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,782 times

Advertisements

Well we are not going to Sturgis this year we are headed eat to Maine.

I have a few questions if don't mind.

How are the Highways?

Any scenic Highways?

Any good mom and pop Motels?

How are the campgrounds?

What is the best way to get into Nova Scotia? (Toll road, Ferry boat ride)

And of Course.... When are the Lobsters in season?

I heard they give you a free lobster at the boarder, is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post

LOL!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Well we are not going to Sturgis this year we are headed eat to Maine.

I have a few questions if don't mind.

How are the Highways?
Generally, you will find two kinds of "highways" in Maine. They are Interstate 95 that runs up the eastern third of the state from the New Hampshire border to the Canadian border crossing at Houlton....that's New Brunswick. And Route 1, which winds its way up the coast. Route 1 is a broad, two lane highway until you get east of Winter Harbor. From there is becomes a relatively narrow, two lane highway that is apt to be pretty rough. It's hard to maintain roads in Maine with our "entertaining" winters. The rest of the roads are rural and narrower two lane roads that offer spectacular views and scenery, and need to be covered at very low speed. There are also dirt roads through mountainous areas that are restricted to weekend travel because they are logging roads...VERY beautiful, but a trip in themselves. Absent in Maine, are many "freeways" or high speed roads designed to get you from 'here to there'. Aside from the 106 miles of Maine Turnpike, there are NO restricted access highways in Maine. Incidentally, make sure you know how long it takes and how far it is from point A to Point B: plan on EVERY police cruiser that you meet to be "running radar", because catching speeders is a big source of revenue for the State. .

Any scenic Highways?
Maine is a generally wild, and rural state. EVERY highway is scenic.

Any good mom and pop Motels?
Fewer and fewer, but they exist.

How are the campgrounds?
Almost all are pretty good....but if you are expecting them to be like they are in Florida, you will be surprised to find that Maine is a very big state with few people and most services between towns are sparce.

What is the best way to get into Nova Scotia? (Toll road, Ferry boat ride)
How much time do you have? The quickest way is to take The Cat from Mt. Desert Island. The scenic way is to follow Route One all the way up the coast, then cross into Canada and ride there. I wish I could go with you. Every spring I get the urge to ride again, and every Spring I mention getting another bike to my wife. I think I will not do it this spring, because I don't want to start another civil war in this house just now.

And of Course.... When are the Lobsters in season?
Lobsters are ALWAYS in season.

This is only partically correct. They do give all people "from away" lobsters at the border, but the charge is about $25 a pound. Not many people take them there, because for $50 per pound, they also sell people from away, a bridge in New York. Most take the bridge because it's cheaper....

Last edited by Acadianlion; 01-07-2008 at 06:08 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Happygoluckytrue -

You will likely have a very enjoyable trip

Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
From Nebraska go to Ohio and find US Route 2. Stay on it to Maine. Maine has many Mom & Pop motels, but even better, we have great bed and breakfasts. Route 2 runs from Seattle to Houlton, Maine. Route 1 goes from Madawaska, Maine to Key West.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,201 times
and the only place in America where US 1 and US 2 intersect is Houlton, ME!!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Oh, you'll love it!

I 'discovered' Maine on a bike trip on US 1 from Key West to Maine. 2 weeks on the back of a Harley isn't exactly heaven to me, but the scenery there was breathtaking. It's been about 6 years since I was there, but I've never forgotten how gorgeous it was. Now I've convinved hubby to buy land there for a summer home, so don't forget your checkbook!!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Oh, you'll love it!

I 'discovered' Maine on a bike trip on US 1 from Key West to Maine. 2 weeks on the back of a Harley isn't exactly heaven to me, but the scenery there was breathtaking. It's been about 6 years since I was there, but I've never forgotten how gorgeous it was. Now I've convinved hubby to buy land there for a summer home, so don't forget your checkbook!!
Yeah, I wouldn't think that two weeks on the back would be much fun. On the other hand, two weeks riding your *own* might seem too short. Since I bought my wife a bike and taught her to ride, when we hit the road she doesn't want to go home...me either, LOL.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't think that two weeks on the back would be much fun. On the other hand, two weeks riding your *own* might seem too short. Since I bought my wife a bike and taught her to ride, when we hit the road she doesn't want to go home...me either, LOL.

Good for you two!! The back was nice since I could actually see what was around me instead of having to concentrate on the road and the idiot drivers that don't pay attention to the bikes, but there were times it was sooooo boring! A couple times I caught myself starting to doze off. Nothing like feeling like you're about to fall off the back of a bike doing 85 on the interstate to wake you up!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Good for you two!! The back was nice since I could actually see what was around me instead of having to concentrate on the road and the idiot drivers that don't pay attention to the bikes, but there were times it was sooooo boring! A couple times I caught myself starting to doze off. Nothing like feeling like you're about to fall off the back of a bike doing 85 on the interstate to wake you up!
When I first met my wife, she was deathly afraid of motorcycles and did not want to even go near mine when it was parked with the motor off. I finally convinced her to go for a short ride, then another. Eventually we started going on day trips and then overnights.

Finally, we were on our way home from Sebago one night and I felt her starting to slip off. I reached back and wrapped an arm (I have long arms) around her and held her on for the last 60 miles or so, she was sound asleep.

When we got home I suggested "Since you're so comfortable now that you can fall asleep, maybe it's time you got your own." We didn't talk about it any further and I didn't mention it again. A few weeks later she saw a Yamaha Virago and said "I want one of those."

"You really want to learn to ride your own?" I asked. She said she did so I took her out looking. I found a used little Suzuki GN400 for relatively short money and told her that I would buy that one for her. She was a little disappointed until I explained that, while she was learning, she was probably going to drop it and crash it a few times, and it was much better to do it with something that she didn't really like that much instead of a shiny new one.

She banged it up some but not too badly. We hit some lean times so she rode it for a few years before things got better and I surprised her with an almost new Virago 535 (had been sitting in a garage for years, with less than 5,000 miles on it, Viragos were no longer being made).

She still has it but she wants something with a bigger motor now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine