Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:58 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times

Advertisements

Screen shot 2015-02-08 at 10.56.01 PM.png

Attached roller with horses....
Attached Thumbnails
okay.. where to put the snow...-screen-shot-2015-02-08-10.56.01  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 PM

47 posts, read 83,167 times
Talking Meanwhile, in Arizona...

Attached Thumbnails
okay.. where to put the snow...-arizona-snow.jpg  

Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM

Default Meanwhile, in Arizona...

delete

Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
When I was a boy, some towns were still rolling snow. They saw no need to remove it; just pack it down with giant rollers.
That is amazing ! Who would have thought that!
When I was a child, certain storms I remember well- like the big of 1968 etc. I actually sort of remember rolling on side streets, though also remember they were using fire and trash trucks with blades. The road had to be wider and it was not always a good idea to leave your cars parked on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I was on vacation in Colorado Years ago, in a mountains town, on the side roads, they packed it down.

Was cool to watch, that would have truck with blade that would dig up few inches of rutted snow, and Plow it straight ahead, so it would just roll off the top of the blade, then in back of the truck it looked like rows of 55 gallon drums (probably filled with cement) that would pack it down nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Screen shot 2015-02-08 at 10.56.01 PM.png

Attached roller with horses....
How Cool! Gave another use for Clydesdales without the Bud aye ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiPrice View Post
WooHoo- its spreading west ! Quick- run to the grocery store !
( or as they do in Virginia- 'quck- everybody hit the ditch !' LOL

Old 02-12-2015, 05:11 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Hey people. Fellow Mainers. More snow on the way this Sunday 2/15 into Monday 2/16. WABI weatherman says we could have blizzard-like conditions.......

Old 02-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Hey people. Fellow Mainers. More snow on the way this Sunday 2/15 into Monday 2/16. WABI weatherman says we could have blizzard-like conditions.......
Ohhhh I know.. we were just reading the same this morning.. Here we go again... LOL
And not a warm day in sight

Old 02-12-2015, 02:55 PM

Meanwhile, breezy 54 degrees here in sunny southeastern New Mexico. The bees are out looking for whatever bees look for in mid February. The flies are definitely out (these are bigguns) looking to harass Humans just because that's their sole purpose in life...the cows have definitely done their business in overload this morning as the afternoon wind scent barrage threatens to make adults and children alike hold their breaths until their eyes bug out. No place to hide in Cow's Ass, New Mexico.

How many inches on average has Maine gotten so far?

Do you think it'll be over with by April because I really don't have a ton of experience driving in snow conditions. Usually I wait til lunch and it melts. But with everyone not knowing where to put the snow, and the storms hitting one after another, I'm kind of curious what April's going to look like!

Might be a naive question but it's sort of intuitive from "an awayer" sort. Instead of trying to put it anywhere is there a way to load it into a truck equipped with heaters and just melt it down and let focus on routing the drainage instead of piling it up? Just a curious option as a solution I wonder if it'd fly, if it's been done and failed, or if there's any particular reason it wouldn't work (other than re-icing, then okay).

Stay warm, guys.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Lets see- this area...
November 28"
December 6"
January 61" ( at least... I think I am missing one entry)
* note- record breaking from January 24th to Feb 4th with a total snow fall of 76"
February to date - 35" of snow

Old 02-12-2015, 05:33 PM

468 posts, read 758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiPrice View Post
Might be a naive question but it's sort of intuitive from "an awayer" sort. Instead of trying to put it anywhere is there a way to load it into a truck equipped with heaters and just melt it down and let focus on routing the drainage instead of piling it up? Just a curious option as a solution I wonder if it'd fly, if it's been done and failed, or if there's any particular reason it wouldn't work (other than re-icing, then okay).

Stay warm, guys.

Sure, Boston has a few and got more from NYC. There are a few brands. They vary in size up to about 250 tons of snow per hour and swallow on the order of 200 to 1000 gallons of diesel per hour. I saw one on the news last week - They had a diesel 18 wheel tank truck parked next to the melter and no wonder.

If you ask me, it's a wildly wasteful way to deal with snow, unless one is really, really hard put for a storage spot.

Here's but one example I quickly found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmDl_nETs8U

Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 PM

Everyone ready- here we go again..
"
ssued by The National Weather Service Caribou, ME

Thu, Feb 12, 9:00 pm EST
  • ... BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...
  • * LOCATIONS... HANCOCK... WASHINGTON AND SOUTHERN PENOBSCOT COUNTIES.
  • * HAZARD TYPES... SNOW... BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
  • * ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 16 INCHES.
  • * TIMING... SNOW WILL BEGIN SATURDAY EVENING ALONG THE COAST AND SPREAD INTO INTERIOR DOWN EAST AREAS AFTER MIDNIGHT SATURDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY EVENING.
  • * IMPACTS... HIGH. HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL MAKE TRAVEL EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS. HIGH WINDS MAY CAUSE SOME POWER OUTAGES.
  • * WINDS... NORTH 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH.
  • * TEMPERATURES... 5 TO 10 ABOVE ZERO WITH LOWER TEENS ALONG THE COAST.
  • * VISIBILITIES... FREQUENTLY ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS.
  • PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
  • A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS.
  • "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine