U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,851,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I bought an LL Bean Goretex parka for Christmas. It was made in Bangladesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Due to their own experiences with cold weather, Bangladeshis are noted experts in the parka field.
Gortex is for rain not cold and I think those folks in Bangladesh are experts in that.

Seriously tho, if you guys know of a jeans manufacturer in the USA that makes price effective clothes I am sure Beans would love to know about it. Would you be willing to pay $75 for jeans?

On a side issue Cabela's is going to be building a huge store in Scarborough this spring and Beans will be starting their huge expansion in Freeport.

My wife will be finishing her 27th season at Beans next week, I worked for 5 years in the packing/shipping center. Great company to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:20 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,608,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Pretty much all shoes, and most clothing items are made outside of the country. I worked at Bean for a few weeks over the Holiday shipping out orders. Most stuff was made in China.
Not sure if Bean was ever 100% made in Maine, but their products were originally designed for Mainers.
The official company history is here:
L.L.Bean: Company Information: Background

Just this summer I read an article about the history of shoe factories in Maine. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it, but there must be lots of info online. Dexter, Bass, all of them now sell non-US products. They've been driven out of business by overseas competition.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,733 times
Never really could afford too much at Bean's. But, thier boots are a MUST HAVE. Then, I am a Mainer from birth and will be back in a couple months now, but I do still have the boots and they are the best.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,929,364 times
I've been told of a woman who is still wearing a pair of boots from about 25 years ago - resoled once. Now that's a good pair of boots!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I've been told of a woman who is still wearing a pair of boots from about 25 years ago - resoled once. Now that's a good pair of boots!
When I was back in Maine 4 years ago (2003) my mom was still wearing the ones she got when I was only 15. "That's 38 year old boots. But, the point is (besides I am much older than I feel) They are REALLY great boots and warmer than anything going.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,929,364 times
Wonder if they're made in Mexico. Do most people buy those with the rubber over the top of the foot? They remind me of a duck bill.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Wonder if they're made in Mexico. Do most people buy those with the rubber over the top of the foot? They remind me of a duck bill.
That's what I have and we always called them "Ducks". Don't know if they still call them that or not. I have been gone too long. I will be so glad when April gets here and we are on our way home.
I will check if they are made in Mexico...I live in Florida now, so they are packed away.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 AM

El, I just dug them out and checked. Mine say "Maine hunting shoe" on the back and on the bottom it says "MADE IN MAINE" YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 AM

323 posts, read 859,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Gortex is for rain not cold and I think those folks in Bangladesh are experts in that.

Seriously tho, if you guys know of a jeans manufacturer in the USA that makes price effective clothes I am sure Beans would love to know about it. Would you be willing to pay $75 for jeans?

On a side issue Cabela's is going to be building a huge store in Scarborough this spring and Beans will be starting their huge expansion in Freeport.

My wife will be finishing her 27th season at Beans next week, I worked for 5 years in the packing/shipping center. Great company to work for.
My husband was trying to get on with Bean in the shipping department but didn't get the job. He worked for GORE for 11 years in Flagstaff in the shipping dept. We just thought not living in Maine yet was probably a factor.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,851,373 times
I believe the LL Bean boots, I have several, are still made in the LL Bean factory up in Brunswick.

About 6 years ago many thought LL Bean had lost it way. Bean felt the comp was now the Land's End, Eddie Bauer's of the world so they started focusing more on clothes rather than what got them where they where....hunting and fishing. They even converted the Hunting and Fishing store(separate building) to kid's clothes. Fortunately after a couple of year smarter heads prevailed and they switched it back.

I believe starting this spring Beans will be embarking on a major expansion in the area where the current Outlet Store is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine