U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I believe the LL Bean boots, I have several, are still made in the LL Bean factory up in Brunswick.

About 6 years ago many thought LL Bean had lost it way. Bean felt the comp was now the Land's End, Eddie Bauer's of the world so they started focusing more on clothes rather than what got them where they where....hunting and fishing. They even converted the Hunting and Fishing store(separate building) to kid's clothes. Fortunately after a couple of year smarter heads prevailed and they switched it back.

I believe starting this spring Beans will be embarking on a major expansion in the area where the current Outlet Store is.
I was there this past Summer and they were putting up the steel framework for a new building, behind the main building at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,851,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I was there this past Summer and they were putting up the steel framework for a new building, behind the main building at that time.
Yup, as you will see, that's just part of the expansion. I saved an article in the Portland Press Herald which has an architectual image of the expansion..it's quite amazing.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 AM

333 posts, read 749,839 times
and you can't beat the LL Bean warranty, never had a problem returning something for replacement or exchange.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
My parents are faithful Red-Wing boot customers. Moving up here my DW's employer requires Red-Wing that they buy her new Red-Wings every year. She loves the Red-Wing dealer in Brewer. She has taken me there and I would agree that they do seem to be a good source of boots.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,738 times
Angry maine shoe factories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
The official company history is here:
L.L.Bean: Company Information: Background

Just this summer I read an article about the history of shoe factories in Maine. Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it, but there must be lots of info online. Dexter, Bass, all of them now sell non-US products. They've been driven out of business by overseas competition.
Dexter Shoe was once owned by Harold Alfond, I believe. Some time back, it was sold to billionaire Warren Buffet. They took the name, assets, etc., and put several hundred workers out into the streets.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM

306 posts, read 922,183 times
I worked for LL Bean last year. I was talking to some old dude who has worked returns for years. He said after the first Christmas with foriegn goods (4-5 years ago) there was a record number of returns. There were letters, phone calls, e-mails the works all written to LL Bean about how upset they were.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM

306 posts, read 922,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Wonder if they're made in Mexico. Do most people buy those with the rubber over the top of the foot? They remind me of a duck bill.
Most of their shoes are from Brazil.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM

333 posts, read 749,839 times
I wasn't giving them a quality award, just real easy to return their products

Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM

106 posts, read 379,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Bean makes alot of their stuff in Maine in a factory in Brunswick but as you found out, not everything. It's been this way for years.
Are you sure?

I was always told Beans has OEM outsourced 99% of their stuff since day one.

the manufacturers L.L. Bean is doing business with probably moved their production oversees a long time ago.

But Beans has done a lot to keep the company in Maine. They could easily have call centers and corporate offices in other states. But they keep them here. Maine isnít the most business friendly state out there.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Alfond- I was just reading about him recently, I think he donated a lot of money toward education.

Bean- seems to me I recall reading that out of the very first hundred pair of boots sold, way back when, practically *all* were returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine