U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
... You can buy vehicles made in the USA.
A big problem there is commonly those are US assembled vehicles. Assembled from foreign parts.

It is that way with motorcycles too. My goldwing is made from US parts and assembled in the US, in a factory owned by Honda. Though Honda factories in japan make the starters and other components used in the manufacture of 'American' Hardley Davidsons.

It does not make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,608,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I used to love LLBean, but it got too expensive. I haven't shopped there in ages because of that reason.
Also, when I used to buy LLbean stuff, much of it was made in the usa, which was a good reason to buy from them. Now, its all oversea. I can buy stuff from oversea from anyone, I dont need to pay a premium at bean. Walmart will take anything back too.
I just got back from Bean's today with 2 super-heavyweight canvas tote bags made in USA: an x-large for $16, and a large for $14. They were on sale for 30% off the lowest marked price. The large even had my name already embroidered on it! (A "return" in perfect condition). By comparison, the Land's End canvas bag I saw at Sears today was priced at $50.

Last winter I bought a great pair of Sorel (Canadian) boots at Bean's for $35 on sale. The original price was upwards of $70. These are the kind of boots you can wear snowmobiling in minus weather without extra socks. Unbelievably warm and dry.

I agree, the regular prices at Bean's can be downright scary. But like most other stores, if you catch the sales, you can get great deals. I think the men's shirts are particularly worth looking at because Bean's carries a lot of sturdy cotton blends, good for year-round use and they wear well.

Nope, I don't work at Bean's :-) I'm just lucky enough to live close by so I can take advantage of the sales!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,608,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I did not know that Bean stores are open 24 hours / day.
Every day including Christmas! In fact it's a nice place to go on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, when nothing else is open. The stores are beautifully decorated inside and out, the crowds are gone, and you can park near Bean's and walk all around the village enjoying the peace and quiet of a winter day.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:23 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,851,373 times
Quote:
A big problem there is commonly those are US assembled vehicles. Assembled from foreign parts.

It is that way with motorcycles too. My goldwing is made from US parts and assembled in the US, in a factory owned by Honda. Though Honda factories in japan make the starters and other components used in the manufacture of 'American' Hardley Davidsons.

It does not make any sense.
I hear what your saying but it's a new global landscape now. That famous saying " no man is an island" never rang so true. If everything was made in the USA they would be more expensive and going by what many have posted on this thread that would be a big problem as well. You can't have it both ways. Heck, Toyota is now the #1 carmaker in the USA, foreign parts nonwithstanding. Their plants employ thousands of Americans and pay taxes to the communities they are in. Some GM and Ford vehicles are now made in Brazil or Mexico, who is the true American carmaker now?

After many years of talk Cabela's is coming to souther Maine. That's why the new addition is Hunting and Fishing. That's why Bean is expanding their stores. Bean has two stores in Japan now. You will have a choice, you can spend your money at Cabela's, a midwest company or you can spend your money at Bean, a Maine company. It's an easy choice for me.

With the weak dollar many US companies are thriving due to being able to now export their products. The trade deficit is shrinking. Steel companies are thriving, many manufactures in the midwest are hiring and expanding cause they are opening up new markets all over the world. Here in New England folks from Canada are coming down to spend money.

On one hand it definately doesn't make sense, I think John Deer tractors are not made in the USA anymore but the Kobota's are. On the other hand with this new global economy it makes all the sense in the world. We are not an island anymore.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Every day including Christmas! In fact it's a nice place to go on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, when nothing else is open. The stores are beautifully decorated inside and out, the crowds are gone, and you can park near Bean's and walk all around the village enjoying the peace and quiet of a winter day.
"walk all around the village"?

Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
On one hand it definately doesn't make sense, I think John Deer tractors are not made in the USA anymore but the Kobota's are. On the other hand with this new global economy it makes all the sense in the world. We are not an island anymore.
I was just reading on another forum, about tractor manufacture.

Importing a JD tractor is gets taxed at the dock, so they make all parts and ship them here in crates as parts [mostly from china] and assemble the tractors here. To keep prices down.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Quote:
"walk all around the village"?
Freeport I would guess.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 AM

8,737 posts, read 6,173,776 times
I guess it's normal that all companies go to cheaper places and make a fortune off the consumer. I used to work in a sewing factory in Pa and our Union rep told us that all they have to do is sow something like a button on in the US to be able to use the "made in USA" label. So even that label means very little.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
I just read in my local hometown newspaper that LL Bean just donated $250,000 towards Maine's heating assistance program. This is just another sign of their contribution to their community. Keeping it local.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Freeport I would guess.
Okay, I do not recall ever having been to Freeport. The only LLBean that I have been in was in Ellsworth.

I find it difficult to imagine why I would desire to drive to Ellsworth in the winter to then walk around that village.

Ellsworth is a nice place, but the travel did seem to be thick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine