U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,920,048 times

Advertisements

The Toms of Maine folks are now raising sheep and making what is reported to be a very high quality wool underwear for men and women.

I would love to try some, but at the $80 price tag for a "long jane" bottom, it likely will not happen any time soon.

So I'll have to make do with my made-overseas silk longjohns from the mark down racks at REI (when I lived in the west) and LL Bean (when we first got here...) I lucked out, I think... all I have seen in the outlet here since are synthetics, which I cannot wear.

And while sewing may often be in the woman's workload, there is no reason it should be any more exclusive there than replacing an electric plug or changing oil or a tire is on the guys' side of things... all skills I made sure my daughters knew. And had I any sons, they would have known their way around a kitchen and a sewing machine, as well. Matter of fact, I had a conversation rather recently, about darning, with a retired submariner in our midst...

Last edited by starwalker; 01-09-2010 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: added link
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 PM

739 posts, read 817,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Last wool pendleton shirt I saw was an import...not sure if they're all imports now or what though.

There's a handful of clothing makers still in the U.S. Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont still is last I heard (pricey but nice stuff). I know there's some more but I don't have a list.

L.L. Bean started catering to a new crowd (more of the urban type) years ago.

Getting to where I need to start making my own clothes more. Already make my own fur hats. Planning a set of buckskin clothes sometime in the next year. Making my own wool clothing shouldn't be too much harder to pull off...but I've never been the sewing type, always considered it more of a woman's thing but I think it's a necessary skill now...
Making our own clothes.... not a new idea, but rather novel in this day and age! If we passed up clothes made in China etc, we would have to re-learn this ancient art all over again. Who knows...fur hides might be in style again!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 PM

29,749 posts, read 47,567,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
The Toms of Maine folks are now raising sheep and making what is reported to be a very high quality wool underwear for men and women.

I would love to try some, but at the $80 price tag for a "long jane" bottom, it likely will not happen any time soon.

So I'll have to make do with my made-overseas silk long johns from the mark down racks at REI (when I lived in the west) and LL Bean (when we first got here...) I lucked out, I think... all I have seen in the outlet here since are synthetics, which I cannot wear.

And while sewing may often be in the woman's workload, there is no reason it should be any more exclusive there than replacing an electric plug or changing oil or a tire is on the guys' side of things... all skills I made sure my daughters knew. And had I any sons, they would have known their way around a kitchen and a sewing machine, as well. Matter of fact, I had a conversation rather recently, about darning, with a retired submariner in our midst...
I have made kilts, parkas, cloaks, fancy embroidery, and done a lot of darning, as well as adjustments and of course name tags and rank insignia junk. But I have never spun or woven any thing on a loom before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine