Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay, I do not recall ever having been to Freeport. The only LLBean that I have been in was in Ellsworth.

I find it difficult to imagine why I would desire to drive to Ellsworth in the winter to then walk around that village.

Ellsworth is a nice place, but the travel did seem to be thick.
Freeport is the center of the world for LL Bean although being south of Bangor......... I realize you don't venture there. You should check out southern Maine sometime, you'll be surprised. Awesome organic farm just up the road from us, the organic beef is amazing. We get alot of the veggies for Common Ground there as well.

I don't really consider Freeport to be a village in the quint New England village Norman Rockwell sense of the term. More like an oytdoor shopping mall made to look like a village.

Ellsworth can get pretty busy as it is on the way to Acadia NP, one of the busiest national parks in the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
A big problem there is commonly those are US assembled vehicles. Assembled from foreign parts.

It is that way with motorcycles too. My goldwing is made from US parts and assembled in the US, in a factory owned by Honda. Though Honda factories in japan make the starters and other components used in the manufacture of 'American' Hardley Davidsons.

It does not make any sense.
I can't think of one car that is 100% manufactured in the US.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:31 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post

After many years of talk Cabela's is coming to souther Maine. That's why the new addition is Hunting and Fishing. That's why Bean is expanding their stores. Bean has two stores in Japan now. You will have a choice, you can spend your money at Cabela's, a midwest company or you can spend your money at Bean, a Maine company. It's an easy choice for me.
Hmmm....Cabela's is entirely hunting, fishing, camping and general outdoors related. An outdoor sportsman's superstore. They will take some of that market away from Bean, but it appears to me that Bean already made the choice to veer away from it some time ago.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Originally Posted by Boomerang
Every day including Christmas! In fact it's a nice place to go on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, when nothing else is open. The stores are beautifully decorated inside and out, the crowds are gone, and you can park near Bean's and walk all around the village enjoying the peace and quiet of a winter day.

Quote:
"walk all around the village"?
Yes! Beyond the Bean's complex and the main drag shops, there are many pretty side streets and more peaceful surroundings, particularly if you're up for a longer walk.

...Oops, just realized I didn't specify that I was talking about the Freeport store.
You could also go to the outlet in North Conway NH and walk around that village too :-)

Last edited by Boomerang; 01-13-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-13-2008, 06:13 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I don't really consider Freeport to be a village in the quint New England village Norman Rockwell sense of the term. More like an oytdoor shopping mall made to look like a village. .
The shopping district isn't really that big. It consists of Rt 1 and only 1-2 blocks east right in the middle of town. At least the village was there first; Bean's and the subsequent "outlet" stores appeared afterward. I never go into the Gap, Banana Republic, or any of the other "designer" outlet stores. What I like about Freeport is that people there are actually making an effort to restore the old buildings and houses, make their storefronts attractive, and offer nice things to do like the summer concert series, Freeport Sparkles, local theater, etc. There's a certain eclectic, colorful element as well. I'm not so sure I like the new Bean's theme park idea as it seems the traffic is already overwhelming there at certain times of year/day. But all in all, I enjoy Freeport and the folks who live there.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
Heard a program the other day on WI Public Radio about big stores and Cabelas was mentioned. Didn't hear the whole program but one thing was mentioned that when a new Cabelas store opens, the state sales tax that Cabelas collects remains with Cableas. Maybe someone else on forum knows more details about this and how it works. It might also depend on the state. I wish I could of heard more but was driving and in and out of my vehicle.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,744 times
Who has driven through McDonalds in Freeport? You speak into the microphone to place your order, but have to read the response as per some town ordinance.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Who has driven through McDonalds in Freeport? You speak into the microphone to place your order, but have to read the response as per some town ordinance.
I heard that it was so close to residences that the outside speaker was disturbing the neighbors. Having been through that McDonald's I can see that as being real. Wouldn't want to swear that, that IS the reason, but it does make sense.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Maybe they figure anyone who can "drive thru" can also read. Logical assumption, I guess! Sometimes I WISH they couldn't scream back. It's the most annoying sound I've ever hear, drive thru speakers.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I can't think of one car that is 100% manufactured in the US.
True, as far as I know only some motorcycles are completely US made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine