U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:49 PM

382 posts, read 763,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
It's definitely greener and crunchier than anywhere I've lived (well accept for my early childhood Philadelphia hippy days).
I like green and crunchy. Green and crunchy are good for us, like vegetables!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,973,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimplestupid View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I guess what intrigued me about Portland is that it is a small city but still a somewhat urban area I suppose. Maine overall seems very nice in terms of scenery. It seems like I could get both a slowdown in lifestyle compared to that of South Florida, but still not exactly live in a rural setting (no offense to those who do, to each their own). I suppose I'll visit first. Still, perhaps I will also consider other areas in New England and perhaps Pacific NW. I am mainly looking for more environmentally appealing areas than the concrete jungle of South Florida. True, we have great beaches but after 20 years, the beach has gotten old.
Check out Vancouver, British Columbia!

What an awesome city, great beaches ( Wreck Beach among others), and beautiful downtown area both very pedestrian and public transportation friendly
Also much less crime than right across the border Seattle.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,567,329 times
Keepitsimplestupid, back around the dawn of time I graduated from college with a degree that was officially called, "American History and Civilization", which was a very eclectic US history degree with a concentration on the broader aspects of social history. At that time, I had basically four choices, and all of them wore uniforms, and all of them basically offered exciting and challenging times in rice paddies with people who you didn't know, trying to kill you, while you tried to kill them. I didn't like those choices, so I "enlisted" in something called The National Teacher Corps and went to the inner city to teach socially and economically deprived children. My Masters work was done there as a part of the program.

Two years later, despite having an occupational deferment, I volunteered to go off and take part in that generation's exercise in nation building. I figured that if some of my high school kids would be drafted, why shouldn't I share their experience.

After that, I went into the insurance business, and a bit later on, I did a bunch of other things, including starting my own insurance biz, doing a season of professional theater, and more odd jobs than there is room here to enumerate.

The point that I wish to make here is your degree in history is just as good as you care to make it, and it will be a great asset to you as you explore ways of making a life. Ifyou think that you are going to get a great job doing something with your history degree and that will be IT, life may have something else in mind, and your history degree will be something that you ENJOY, but which doesn't do much specifically to help you make it through life.

I have two degrees in history, and have NEVER made a nickel because of them. But those degrees and the educational experience that begat them has enriched my life and enabled me to think my way into and out of some truly amazing experiences and adventures.

By all means come to Maine and explore. You might like Portland, or Orono where the main campus of the University of Maine is, or you might like Calais which is quite an interesting town on the Canadian border, or Presque Isle, or Rangely, or....who knows?

The worst thing tha tyou can do is to listen to naysayers and curmudgeons who think that life is only good when it is surrounded by big boxes and bright city lights.

The worst thing that can happen to you here, is that you will spend some time roaming around, and find that there is nothing here for you. And that will be a terrific lesson: learning one thing that you really don't want to do again.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,349,313 times
"The worst thing that can happen to you here, is that you will spend some time roaming around, and find that there is nothing here for you. And that will be a terrific lesson: learning one thing that you really don't want to do again."

And if you're single, now is the time to do it. Find out what you like and don't like. If you don't like it, so long as you keep some escape cash on hand (transportation and a few month's lodging and food) you can split easily enough and go do something different.

With a wife and kids, it's a whole lot harder to pull up your stakes and move if you suddenly find that you don't like where you're at.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 AM

370 posts, read 1,206,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
You should come for a weekend visit. Come on the weekend of the Portland vestiville in June.
Hi, what's the vestiville? My wife and I will be going on a New England road trip in June and i want to stay in Portland at least a day or two. Would apreciate any tips on local events if that's what it is. Thanks in advance,

David

Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM

34,052 posts, read 11,070,807 times
Google suggested vestiville might mean festival Portland Maine's Old Port Festival;

That is a major street fair with music and food, giant puppets and parades and a good time.

The old port is really charming section of the city.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,617 times
I would focus on Portland area and also the Brunswick area due to it being a college town. Maine will not be 24 hours of action and social activity. If you are drawn to the state it is absolutely amazing. There are so many things to do but they won't just fall in your lap. You need to be the kind of person to get involved and make life happen for you. Get involved in groups, church, the museum, theater. You can be as busy as you want to be here. We thrive on community in this state but it requires participation. Expenses are all relative. I came from AZ and no, I didn't have an oil bill 8 months out of the year but I had horrendous electric bills from running A/C year round.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,754,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
Hi, what's the vestiville? My wife and I will be going on a New England road trip in June and i want to stay in Portland at least a day or two. Would apreciate any tips on local events if that's what it is. Thanks in advance,

David
The Old Port Festival is a wonderful event for adults and childen alike. There are many local talents performing all over the Old Port at various outdoor stages. A nice parade and kids games as well. Local food vendors and plenty of drink specials at the pubs.
Word of caution though, careful where you park - they do tow. I speak from experience. lol. It's best to get there early and park in a parking garage.
Have a blast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine