Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 AM

21 posts, read 76,598 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your replies. I guess what intrigued me about Portland is that it is a small city but still a somewhat urban area I suppose. Maine overall seems very nice in terms of scenery. It seems like I could get both a slowdown in lifestyle compared to that of South Florida, but still not exactly live in a rural setting (no offense to those who do, to each their own). I suppose I'll visit first. Still, perhaps I will also consider other areas in New England and perhaps Pacific NW. I am mainly looking for more environmentally appealing areas than the concrete jungle of South Florida. True, we have great beaches but after 20 years, the beach has gotten old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimplestupid View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I guess what intrigued me about Portland is that it is a small city but still a somewhat urban area I suppose. Maine overall seems very nice in terms of scenery. It seems like I could get both a slowdown in lifestyle compared to that of South Florida, but still not exactly live in a rural setting (no offense to those who do, to each their own). I suppose I'll visit first. Still, perhaps I will also consider other areas in New England and perhaps Pacific NW. I am mainly looking for more environmentally appealing areas than the concrete jungle of South Florida. True, we have great beaches but after 20 years, the beach has gotten old.
I live outside portland and as far as Maine goes.....Portland is the only place I would consider metropolitan. Pub's, clubs, and coffee shops....along with a decent college scene I think it is a fun city. very livable witih a population of only 65k people. Whether or not it's what you want I cannot say. But It is true Maine looses many young people because of our poor economy and lack of jobs. You should come for a weekend visit. Come on the weekend of the Portland vestiville in June.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM

406 posts, read 1,649,216 times
Quote:
Perfect time in your life to look around the country.
My niece is 22, fresh out of college and is doing the same thing as you. She went to school in ME but grew up in MA...she's now out in CA. This is the time to explore. I thought I wanted to live in Boston at your age...three months of THAT changed my mind quick. Come up for a week...explore the area...see what you think.
Best of luck and I hope you find all you're looking for!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,364,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
Perfect time in your life to look around the country.
My niece is 22, fresh out of college and is doing the same thing as you. She went to school in ME but grew up in MA...she's now out in CA. This is the time to explore. I thought I wanted to live in Boston at your age...three months of THAT changed my mind quick. Come up for a week...explore the area...see what you think.
Best of luck and I hope you find all you're looking for!
What wonderful advice! I think every young man or woman should see all of the world that they can before settling down and starting a family, if that is what they choose. You never know where the universe will take you and when you'll find YOUR place - just waiting for your arrival.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:50 AM

259 posts, read 1,320,211 times
KISS, I am newly reading this forum myself this week, but I am actually surprised to gather you are the first one of your mindset to arrive here.

There once was a very green, fresh and opportunistic place called Colorado back when I was your age. The following decade had such places as Seattle and Santa Fe.

What you are seeking is not at all new or surprising to me. I know several 20-somethings that are looking for a place that is green, liberal and crunchy, yet has a bit of life to it.

Austin, Texas, Missoula, Montana, Salem/Bend, Oregon are some of the current poster children for today's version. I would expect Portland, ME as well as Burlington, VT to be the New England editions.

But, absolutely, you should simply visit places first and do not ever move without a job already lined up.

In 1972, I was able to stumble into Boulder, Colorado with just a backpack. In those days, you could survive just on mooching and occasional day laboring. I'm sorry you can't emulate that exact experience, but in the right towns/cities, you can still do a modern day version of it (i.e., have a job and an apartment first).

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,220,689 times
Never thought of Portland as 'green and crunchy'. Interesting.. I think places in Vermont fit that description better than any place here. Hmmm, except maybe Bar Harbor..

Old 01-09-2008, 12:10 PM

874 posts, read 1,847,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Never thought of Portland as 'green and crunchy'. Interesting.. I think places in Vermont fit that description better than any place here. Hmmm, except maybe Bar Harbor..
It's definitely greener and crunchier than anywhere I've lived (well accept for my early childhood Philadelphia hippy days).

Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,220,689 times
Too much traffic and uptightness in Portland to be very green and crunchy. But I'm sure compared to the rest of the country, it appears to be pretty laid back.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 PM

73 posts, read 147,576 times
Sorry you don't like it here in Maine, Schizuiki, but many of us enjoy what Maine offers. To live here is being able to enjoy the theater, go to college, have an eventful lifestyle, and be able to go out into the parks and walk in the woods and enjoy the silence and the beauty, and the knowing most folks are very friendly and willing to help those who ask.
I say you can find what you are looking for. As for a job with a degree in History can be a challenge.
Sue from Maine

Old 02-07-2008, 07:30 PM

5 posts, read 14,406 times
Quote:
Maine has a little of everything, but I have to agree with some, Maine may not be your best choice. My brother has a history degree and sells paint. Another friend with a background in history has moved back to DC to work at a museum, so unless you want to teach or maybe write you'll have to be open to other jobs with your background. However, I do know many singles who are living in Portland and love it. The University of Southern Maine and Maine College of Art are situated in Portland, so there are many students and 20-somethings. If I were single I would live there, and when I lived in that area a few years ago I thought I would hate it, but I enjoyed being close to the shopping, ocean, restaurants, and just stuff to do. If you move here I would definitely live in that area. It is close to many things to do, and an easy drive to almost anywhere you'd like to explore. Come for a visit and see for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine