Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,891 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband recently approached me about moving to Maine. We currently live in the suburbs of central Ohio (no bears here). Initially, I was completely on board with the thought of moving to Maine. He lives to ski, we both love hiking, canoeing, sight seeing, ocean, camping, just being outdoors etc. Maine kind of seems like the perfect place for us. I started doing a ton of research and started finding a lot of info about black bears. I dont have any experience with bears of any kind and I have a few concerns that I'm hoping some people who live in Maine with experience can shed some light on. I guess I should also add that we have started looking at Bangor and Lewiston and would like acreage so we wont be in town.

I read it's important to keep all of your doors and windows locked on your house. I love to have my windows open during the summer. Is this necessary?

I have a toddler and we spend a lot of time in our back yard during the summer. Am I going to constantly worry about bears lurking in the background?

My daughter and I go hiking on our own with our dog sometimes. I read having a dog with you can actually be worse when it comes to a confrontation with bears. Will my dog be doomed to a life with no more hiking? Is it safe to let him tag along?

Dogs in the backyard. Good or bad? I have a pit bull now but he is about the furthest thing from a guard dog.

I appreciate any info that can be passed along. I just want to know what we are getting ourselves into before making this huge decision. Also, on a side note is cable internet available in rural areas outside of town? Where I currently live we can get it about 30 miles outside of town but, I dont want to assume it is the same there.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:01 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
This is going to be a long post.

We have had alot of experiences with bears- but Not in Maine- but in Virginia.
We lived in Shenandoah county Virginia for years, and had 22 definable bears.
Bears, just like if the same breed of dog, you can tell whom is whom.
In all that time, only one bear did we have to make the point known to leave.

Bears by nature, and also keep in mind- are hunted with dogs, are naturally afraid of dogs. Also bears tend to avoid humans.
That being said- there are ways to discourage bears from your property.

You stated you have a dog- is it male or female? Bears are wary of dog urine. We use to walk our dogs the edge of the property about once a week.
Also barking is a bother to bears. While the breed of dog I have are not barkers, it is still a presence.

Having a dog and a toddler, i would suggest a fence. Not just because its easier as a play area, but also gives a definition of space. Some of our neighbors put a 'hot wire' ( electric/cattle wire) on the outside of their fence. We never had the issue.

Bears are junk food junkies- keep trash cans well put up say in a garage, make regular trips to the dump at least once a week if you don't have trash pick up- And Never ever leave bags of trash around.
I also use to bring in bird feeders at night.

As far as windows, we never left a window open in the kitchen if we were not home. We left our windows open all the time, but never when we were not home unless it was a smaller window of say 24" deep.

*You did not say where you were considering in the move. Maine offers alot- with all your husband likes to do in short distances etc. Where we live, bears are here- but have yet to see one. We have however seen two moose.

In general- bears are like any wild animal- they need to know you are around. Walking the woods shuffling your feet or talking out loud is more than enough. Bears, in general, will flee rather than charge. A charge is usually caused by surprising a bear and not enough room to leave.

Keep your garage door ( where your trash cans are) closed unless you are there to monitor it.

And please keep in mind- these Are NOT Grizzleys. They are black bears and far less aggressive. Many myths circulate about black bears.
Be mindful, read up from reliable sources on bear behavior and habitates.

**In general- you leave them alone- they will leave you alone.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,168 times
I have lived in northern Maine for about 6 years now. In that time I have seen 3 black bears all from a distance while driving to or from work. Black bears are not grizzly bears. Grizzlies are far more aggressive, than black bears, black bears would rather avoid humans then risk a confrontation

Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
I have lived in northern Maine for about 6 years now. In that time I have seen 3 black bears all from a distance while driving to or from work. Black bears are not grizzly bears. Grizzlies are far more aggressive, than black bears, black bears would rather avoid humans then risk a confrontation
Exactly!

Old 02-05-2015, 05:59 PM

maineborzoi - thanks for the info! Seems like it wont be much of a problem if we take some precautions. Our dog is a male that is not neutered so walking the property with him wouldnt be a bad idea. We are looking either outside of Bangor or Lewiston.

FNolan - that's really good to know and I hope to only see bears from afar as well. I don't really know the temperment of any kind of bear. I'm happy with them avoiding me because I will be doing the same!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim127 View Post
maineborzoi - thanks for the info! Seems like it wont be much of a problem if we take some precautions. Our dog is a male that is not neutered so walking the property with him wouldnt be a bad idea. We are looking either outside of Bangor or Lewiston.

FNolan - that's really good to know and I hope to only see bears from afar as well. I don't really know the temperment of any kind of bear. I'm happy with them avoiding me because I will be doing the same!
They will avoid you. And having a dog, as they hunt bears with dogs here, the bears are afraid of dogs.
Just use common sense of wildlife- do not tempt with food, watch your trash, and be aware.

We live in Princeton " the sportsman paradise". We have seen bear scat, but not a bear. However- as we know from the mountains of Virginia what to do as far as ways to deter a bear.

I will say one thing here that is wonderful about Maine- lack of poisonist snakes !! We use to have copperheads, rattlers etc. We did find out also detered by dog urine but still..

Make sure your dog is up to date on vaccines. Rabies and distemper as both of these are carried by raccoons, skunks, and fox.

*edit- by the way- I don't think the BSL ( breed specific legislation) has hit Maine - but make sure prior to your move. In many states, or counties, or areas do ban pit bulls. Just check it out ahead of time.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:16 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
In a nutshell they are more afraid of you. With a keen sense of smell they will be long gone

Old 02-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
They will avoid you. And having a dog, as they hunt bears with dogs here, the bears are afraid of dogs.
Just use common sense of wildlife- do not tempt with food, watch your trash, and be aware.

We live in Princeton " the sportsman paradise". We have seen bear scat, but not a bear. However- as we know from the mountains of Virginia what to do as far as ways to deter a bear.

I will say one thing here that is wonderful about Maine- lack of poisonist snakes !! We use to have copperheads, rattlers etc. We did find out also detered by dog urine but still..

Make sure your dog is up to date on vaccines. Rabies and distemper as both of these are carried by raccoons, skunks, and fox.

*edit- by the way- I don't think the BSL ( breed specific legislation) has hit Maine - but make sure prior to your move. In many states, or counties, or areas do ban pit bulls. Just check it out ahead of time.

He is a mutt so I think we are ok there but, its definitely something I should check out. He is a deal breaker haha!

No poisonous snakes is great! That's one less thing for me to over-google

Old 02-06-2015, 04:50 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
In Maine we have the black bears and the Jalberts. Neither will bother you, but the black bears will raid your bird feeders in the spring.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
Although the UP of Michigan where we live is not Maine we are similar in many ways, one is habitat. I live within close range of several known black bear dens and have seen them while walking in the woods. As stated here most are very wary and are not seen because they avoid contact with humans or dogs. If they become a problem when there is an easy food source when we humans move into their territory and leave easy pickings for them. They do break the tops off the cherry and ironwood trees in my woods.
I am curious if there is experience in Maine as there is here with wolves? They are a problem and the OP illustrates what our problem is. Those from urban areas only see the propaganda about the wolf free spirit and persecution of the 'poor animal'. Since they have been reintroduced here they are growing in population and kill deer for sport and do not fear dogs, they kill them mercilessly. Eagles and other birds of prey are more of a problem than bears. The bounty on wolves years ago was paid for a reason.
Good luck, If you decide to move to Maine enjoy what's there and don't try to change it.
I forgot to mention...given the proximity to bears,our dogs were not tied or bothered by anything other than porkies that they bothered first!. Small ankle nippers breeds need to be protected from eagles tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine