U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM

24 posts, read 92,691 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all, I live in the Washington DC area and am debating between moving to Portland or to Columbus, Ohio. Portland is where I want to be but I am not sure I can make a good enough living there to be able to buy a single family home, which is my lifelong desire. My business is teaching private piano lessons and I will have to start over again from scratch wherever I go. I know I can make it in Ohio and have a great single family home there, but Ohio is more of a safety net and not the place I want to be. Moving to Maine is what I need and want but I'm not sure the market is there for piano teaching. Can any of you offer any advice or comments either way ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM

38,421 posts, read 18,177,990 times
Oh my, I have a friend who lives in Columbus; she is a teacher. Over the years I have never heard her say a good word about living and working in Columbus. This same woman longs to live in Maine. (I am not sure how so many of us end up living in a place we really don't like...but I know a lot of us long to move to Maine.)

There certainly are people with children who love music and who want their kids to learn to play an instrument in Ohio and in Maine. Columbus is a much larger city so the potential market must be larger.....but the supply of teachers is probably larger as well.
Family love for their children and love of music is probably the constant.

Is there any professional organization of piano teachers that would have info to help you make a decision? Maybe if you looked up piano stores in Portland and made inquiry about your job availability. Are there any other related businesses you could contact that might have an idea? How did you build your business where you are now? Is there the possibility of another job to tide you over while you build your clientelle?

I imagine it will take you awhile to get established and that will necessitate some funds to tide you over wherever you go.

Where ever you end up....good luck.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,313 times
Welcome, Shauna! I have lived in Southwest Ohio my entire life (currently about 1hr and a half southwest of Columbus)> While there are definitely some great things out this way, it CANNOT hold a candle to maine!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Didn't we already have this conversation last month?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:06 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,810,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Didn't we already have this conversation last month?
I believe you're correct.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:03 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times
I can sum it up for ya. Last summer in Ohio, the temps got to 100+ more than once. The rest of the summer was like everywhere else, except Maine of course: not enough rain, too much heat, enormous utility bills due to the increased use of air conditioning, higher than normal criminal activity. People get irritable when they are uncomfortably warm for too long. The folks who are of a criminal mind do things they might not have if they were more comfortable.

Have you ever compared the crime rates in Ohio and in Maine. For my money, I would do everything in my power to make the decision to go to Maine. If that's where you want to be, it's where you should be.

Why Portland? Why not Bangor? Bangor is a bustling city with lower housing prices and all the amenities/conveniences of city life. Why not Caribou? Also a city with amenties and needs. The further inland and north you go, the lower the housing prices. And it's still Maine.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,882,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Have you ever compared the crime rates in Ohio and in Maine..
The city of Cincinnati probably had more shootings last year than the entire state of Maine. I'm in Ohio now and would not wish it on anyone, I am counting the days until I get back to Eastport.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,739 times
I now live in Maine and have for the past 5 years out of 7, before moving to Maine I lived in Ohio for about 9 years. I will say Maine has alot of pretty scenery especially during the summer, But the winters here are long and very cold. The jobs are far and few in between and most pay minimum wage. The rents are higher here compared to Ohio, the same items in the stores cost more here in Maine compared to Ohio. I will be moving back to Ohio at the end of this year. Life there outside the bigger cities is wonderful. The people are friendlier there than Mainers, the food cost less and taste better in Ohio, the hospitals are better in Ohio. So are the schools. I was born and raised in NJ and have lived in 4 states and 3 countries and traveled to 13 of our states and Ohio was by far the best at least for me.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 AM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
Tornadoes are very rare in Maine. Something to consider these days.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,694,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauna714 View Post
Hi Y'all, I live in the Washington DC area and am debating between moving to Portland or to Columbus, Ohio. Portland is where I want to be but I am not sure I can make a good enough living there to be able to buy a single family home, which is my lifelong desire. My business is teaching private piano lessons and I will have to start over again from scratch wherever I go. I know I can make it in Ohio and have a great single family home there, but Ohio is more of a safety net and not the place I want to be. Moving to Maine is what I need and want but I'm not sure the market is there for piano teaching. Can any of you offer any advice or comments either way ?

The Top 11 States To Find A Job: The Top 11 States To Find A Job: Gallup

Gallop - Best and Worst Job Markets: http://www.gallup.com/poll/146402/No...up%20Headlines

Gallop: State of the States Interactive Map: http://www.gallup.com/poll/125066/State-States.aspx

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or