U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 AM

3,206 posts, read 7,821,367 times

Advertisements

Obama! Obama! Obama!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,510,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Obama! Obama! Obama!
why? just wondering.....

Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
More voter fraud? Albert Howard, a minor Republican presidential candidate from Ann Arbor claims that at one point in the NH primary he had over 170 votes, but in the end the official tally was only 44 votes. He is now challenging NH to a recount to figure out what happened.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080110/NEWS06/80110061/1118/rss (broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Ron Paul is the only chance for the USA to recover from the damage done over the past decade.
I would support a libertarian candidate if he had a chance. RP doesn't seem to have one, which means that I have to choose from the lesser of the evils and go with the Repubs.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,609,406 times
Nobama for me, thanks Nice guy but I'm not ready to hand him the Presidency just yet.

IMHO, for a true democracy we need to eliminate the 2-party system. We could take a cue from other countries who choose their political representatives/leaders from many different parties (party is defined by platform, not personality or influence) and then that diverse group is FORCED to work together to come up with solutions. Anyone in politics reading? It's called "compromise". Look it up.

Sure, that system has its disadvantages too, but I do despair of this country ever recovering from its current decline unless the political system itself is brought into the 21st century. Too many pork barrel projects, too many lobbyists, too many personal agendas, too many bills stuffed with items NOT in the best interest of anybody except the writers of the bills, too many "signing statements"..... You know things are really bad when there is no intelligent debate anymore.

Just my .02 cents. Color me irritated by the eradication of the "middle class" ..

Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Absolutely, this will be the election of the LESSER EVIL candidate. I am tired of people who have southern accents (or can't pronounce words), who thump the bible to get evangelical voters, and think they are on missions from above. I want a candidate to have had a recent reality check, and one who has more experience than just being on Oprah. So, at this point in time, I am sadly lacking a candidate who does anything for me except spurn my contempt. I guess I am one of disenfranchised voters. Yes, I want a candidate who will stand up for Americans in America, and solve some of the real issues that real working class Americans have to deal with daily.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM

333 posts, read 750,011 times
THE HUB of Maine, as Newport likes to call itself. Has had 1 political sign proudly displayed since early fall. Perched right there on the famous Sawyers Ice Cream Bar lawn and in defiance of State and local snowplows and all that mother nature could throw at it. Never bending to the traffic of Canadian Truckers or the sportsman heading for Greenville. Alone stands" RON PAUL"

Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 PM

874 posts, read 1,634,775 times

Old 01-11-2008, 01:00 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I would support a libertarian candidate if he had a chance. RP doesn't seem to have one, which means that I have to choose from the lesser of the evils and go with the Repubs.
Ron Paul is a Republican, albeit a very old school one. Regardless if a candidate has a chance to win or not is not the point. You can vote for anyone you like, Mikey Mouse or Chtullu if you really wanted to. Voting for the lesser of two evils and attitudes like only voting for a third party if they have a chance to win are what is going to keep this country two-party (and there really isn't much difference between the two).

Third party candidates have been voted into mayoral, governor, senate, HOR positions as well as others. They are gaining momentum and are becoming more popular in presidential elections as well.

No vote is wasted. Regardless of who you vote for, it sends a message to Washington as to where you stand.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:47 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Ron Paul is a Republican, albeit a very old school one. Regardless if a candidate has a chance to win or not is not the point. You can vote for anyone you like, Mikey Mouse or Chtullu if you really wanted to. Voting for the lesser of two evils and attitudes like only voting for a third party if they have a chance to win are what is going to keep this country two-party (and there really isn't much difference between the two).

Third party candidates have been voted into mayoral, governor, senate, HOR positions as well as others. They are gaining momentum and are becoming more popular in presidential elections as well.

No vote is wasted. Regardless of who you vote for, it sends a message to Washington as to where you stand.
I believe he is currently described as Libertarian. At any rate, a vote for a candidate who *can't* win takes away a vote in favor of your choice of the "lesser of the evils" who can actually compete in the race, in essence giving some margin in favor of of the candidate(s) you consider the "greater evil".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or