U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Corinth, ME
2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Reputation: 1863

Advertisements

you must be an Englishman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I didn't use A/C even in Texas. I went to visit someone there not long ago in August. They thought I was just a little "touched", sitting by the pool, in the sun, at noon, drinking hot coffee in N. Houston (Formerly the town known as Langham Creek until Houston ate it up).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Virginia (soon Ellsworth)
653 posts, read 1,678,138 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
you must be an Englishman...
how true, we have client visit us in Miami from England, went out for lunch in mid August
we ask them if they prefer to eat in AC dinning area or out on the terrace, the answer alway out side, we remind them it is very hot out side. they reply it is no such thing is too hot. I guess if you are from bone chilling area nine months out of the year, 90 degree and sunshine is a treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2008, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Reputation: 9378
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
you must be an Englishman...
LOL, no just thin blooded and zero body fat, no insulation at all. It didn't used to seem so bad until I got frost-bit when I was young and stupid. Now I crave heat. My long-johns go on in Sep and come off in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Corinth, ME
2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Reputation: 1863
well I didn't want to figure you for a "mad dog" LOL

I do understand though.. my eldest daughter did not get frostbite but she DID get a good case of hypothermia (also when young and stupid)... out with her church teen group, caroling in jeans, tennies, no hat and inadequate jacket in the snow in WA state. They slid off the road and of COURSE she waded into the (on her) knee deep snow to help push.. got soaked all over and then continued caroling! Fortunately their last stop was at the home of an RN, one of the group leaders who was waiting for the crew with hot chocolate and munchies and recognized the problem when Kate couldn't get warm by the fire... and put her in several warm baths, washed and dried her clothes and (since this was the same night I buried my Suburban in a field after sliding on black ice at 25 MPH... 'nother good tale... ) going to get her, let her stay over while the rest of the kids and I holed up in the only open motel room in town (there was a big HS sporting tournament in town) until the next day. My "skinny-malink" kid says the only time she has been warm since was in Phoenix in August, sitting by the pool at her grandparents' apartment.

Though I have to admit that after spending as much time in the South as I have I may join you in the Sept-June long-john brigade at least my first winter! I've had them on here this year; when the temperature inside is in the 40s and 50s, it helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL, no just thin blooded and zero body fat, no insulation at all. It didn't used to seem so bad until I got frost-bit when I was young and stupid. Now I crave heat. My long-johns go on in Sep and come off in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Chaos Central
1,122 posts, read 3,609,406 times
Reputation: 893
Also depends on how your house is situated. One of the old houses I lived in was located at the top of the hill facing into the prevailing wind. In the summer there were great breezes. I didn't have an A/C unit then and never felt hot enough (in the house) to run out and buy one. My sister had a "whole house" fan installed and swore that worked so well she didn't need A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Cape Cod, MA
406 posts, read 1,489,048 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Also depends on how your house is situated. One of the old houses I lived in was located at the top of the hill facing into the prevailing wind. In the summer there were great breezes. I didn't have an A/C unit then and never felt hot enough (in the house) to run out and buy one. My sister had a "whole house" fan installed and swore that worked so well she didn't need A/C.
So true. I didn't even think of this. This house has loads of windows and faces South...GREAT in the winter, spring, fall...not so much in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
you must be an Englishman...
The English do not drink coffee, nor do they have air conditioners. Newer construction might have central air, but having an A/C unit in your house or apartment is so rare that it is practically non-existent. Although the UK saw an extreme record heat-wave a few years ago, A/C in the UK is like the proverbial ice-box to an Eskimo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Corinth, ME
2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Reputation: 1863
I am aware they are a nation of tea drinkers (with milk, often, so I am told...) but my comment was a reference to "mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The English do not drink coffee, nor do they have air conditioners. Newer construction might have central air, but having an A/C unit in your house or apartment is so rare that it is practically non-existent. Although the UK saw an extreme record heat-wave a few years ago, A/C in the UK is like the proverbial ice-box to an Eskimo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I am aware they are a nation of tea drinkers (with milk, often, so I am told...) but my comment was a reference to "mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun..."
Ahhh.....I see. Have you ever sat on a crowded beach while the sky was grey .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 AM
 
161 posts, read 344,221 times
Reputation: 244
Default Don't have it, don't need it in Lubec.

We are right on the water so the cooling effect of the ocean results in us never even thinking about an air conditioner.

I have driven up to Calais on a hot day and thought they better have air conditioners up there.

Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top