Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 PM

631 posts, read 744,064 times

Advertisements

Looks like the poison pill has found an elixir, here comes FREEDOM!

House approves

Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,838,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm doubtful, simply because I see very few news stories of, "Criminal X thwarted by Citizen Y because he was packing heat." There might be a few such cases here and there, but certainly not enough to account for the 40 year low in crime.

But what do I know? If someone has evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.
You could start with the Armed Citizen, put together by the NRA but cross referenced to the local outlets that covered the original story.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

Plenty of instances where permit holders were able to defend themselves and prevent being a victim.

As others have noted, many alternate media sources cover these stories too.

Why doesn't the mainstream media cover them? Could be a number of reasons. Most media outlets seem to be run by the Left, so there's one reason. Looking positively on stories of people who shoot other people, no matter the circumstances, isn't politically correct I guess, even if it's justified. When they do cover these type of stories, there's always a biased slant to them, like calling the victim a "gunman" or saying he "took the law in to his own hands" etc. etc. Another reason is that most of these cases just aren't "gripping" enough to make the headlines. Just because it bleeds doesn't always mean it will lead. In all fairness, a gangbanger shooting another gangbanger on the street doesn't make the headlines either so....

As far as why the crime rate continues to decline, admittedly there are a number of variables, and the advent of CC is just one of many. Like I said before, correlation doesn't prove causation, but 12,000,000+ citizens carrying a gun in public has not increased the crime rate either, and that fact isn't up for debate.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,768,629 times
Like their neighbors say..."Live Free or Die"

Old 06-05-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Looks like the poison pill has found an elixir, here comes FREEDOM!

House approves
That's great news for Mainers!

I was concerned that your governor might veto 99% of the good because he didn't get the other 1% he wanted. That would have just been idiotic. So idiotic that I believe he was just looking for a reason not to sign it, and the curtain hasn't closed yet, so let's see if it really gets his signature. Fingers crossed for freedom, but politics has become a game and the game's still being played.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:05 AM

Also, what do you guys think about Bloomberg and his cronies coming in to your state and trying to derail this? I think he does more harm than good for his cause. I think him getting involved gives people even more of a reason to support the bill who otherwise might have just stayed neutral. Nothing worse than a billionaire elite trying to come in to your state and influence your laws.

Must be nice living in Maine though, where even the Democrats support your gun Rights. Maine must be an anomaly, lol.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,553,788 times
There is an old saying; "As Maine goes, so goes the nation." I hope it follows true in this situation.

Sun's up. This is the day. A few of decades ago, I was listening to Radio Moscow on the short wave late at night. The news was over and a boring sounding announcer said, "The following program will be a collection of foreign music."

There was a pause as I reached for the radio to turn it off when another announcer cam on with, "ARE. YOU. READY - FOR SOME GOOD OLD FASHIONED ROCK AND ROLL!"

Credence Clearwater Revival came on Radio Moscow and I thought, "This is the moment. This is the end of the Soviet Union. This is freedom.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:04 AM

22,836 posts, read 28,056,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Sigh. If you dig and dig and dig and dig enough, in alternative media and sites which are dedicated to tracking down such incidents, you WILL find them. (It's too bad that you have to, but we are used to the extra effort). The "popular" media can't be bothered, because it doesn't fit their agenda.
I have no doubt at all that stuff like this happens all across the country every year.

I'm just not convinced that citizens packing heat is the #1 reason for the drop in crime.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:26 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,553,788 times
This year the FBI has named Vermont the safest state. We go back and forth with Vermont for that title on regular basis. We slipped out of first place this year because of the Lewiston/Auburn area. I expect we'll get it back soon.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 AM

631 posts, read 744,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
This year the FBI has named Vermont the safest state. We go back and forth with Vermont for that title on regular basis. We slipped out of first place this year because of the Lewiston/Auburn area. I expect we'll get it back soon.
Maine will be one of the most legally free states there is on 9/15/15. The only other states on the same level are Alaska and Arizona.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:35 AM

22,836 posts, read 28,056,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We slipped out of first place this year because of the Lewiston/Auburn area. I expect we'll get it back soon.
Portland has far more violent crime than Lewiston/Auburn.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...and-Maine.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Auburn-Maine.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ton-Maine.html

It's all relative though. The most dangerous areas of Portland are far safer than the "safe" neighborhoods in Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, etc., etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine