Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,668,584 times

Advertisements

The court understands.

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,400 times
Well, yes, to the extent the Court alludes to the Constitutional right to bear arms shall not be infringed by the Government. The Framers were just coming off of rule by Monarchy and wanted to assure American's right to bear arms against the Government, the "in general" right being secondary and not even mentioned. Hence the reference to "well organized militia." If Walmart tells you you can't bring guns into their store, you can't. It's private property. If the local Lodge tells you no firearms in the Lodge, no firearms in the Lodge. Since the first step of Constitutional analysis - State Action - isn't met, they can do anything they want. Try walking into Superior Court in Bangor or the U.S. District Court carrying. There's what would appear at face value to be a constitutional infringement by State Action, but it really makes at least a little sense, doesn't it? By the way, interestingly, NH has the "right to revolution" included in their State Constitution.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,668,584 times
In Maine it is no firearms in post offices, courts, schools and of all places, the State House. The peoples' liberty is gone in the State House.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:20 PM

38 posts, read 52,202 times
Default Press Coveage

Occasionally someone shoots a criminal saving their own life or the lives of other in the process. It bothers the mainstream media to report such stories because they portray firearms and their owners in positive light. Much more common, I think, are situations where the presence of a firearm in the hands of good people deter a crime.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:00 PM

428 posts, read 553,593 times
As long as your part of a "well regulated militia" which most people leave out of thier reading of the 2nd amendment, I have no problem with you having access to a firearm. It's the exact gun drooler crowd that packs heat to go to Walmart, Denny's, or a children's clothing store that worries me.[/quote]

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A comma separates the prefatory clause from the operative clause. The operative clause, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." stands on its own. The prefatory clause merely states a purpose for protecting the right. The Bill of Rights applies to all individuals. If the intent was to guarantee the militia the right to bear arms the amendment would have been worded differntly such as:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of militia members to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Instead it states the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The constitution does not grant us the right, rather it prohibits the government from infringing on the right that we already possess.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 PM

37,440 posts, read 61,337,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydDbarber View Post
... As long as your part of a "well regulated militia" which most people leave out of thier reading of the 2nd amendment, I have no problem with you having access to a firearm. It's the exact gun drooler crowd that packs heat to go to Walmart, Denny's, or a children's clothing store that worries me.
Because the government will always have a regulated militia the right of the individual to be armed must remain intact.

It is not that we are all members of the militia, it is because the militia stands that we must be armed.

As you said read it.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM

93 posts, read 179,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
As long as your part of a "well regulated militia" which most people leave out of thier reading of the 2nd amendment, I have no problem with you having access to a firearm. It's the exact gun drooler crowd that packs heat to go to Walmart, Denny's, or a children's clothing store that worries me.
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A comma separates the prefatory clause from the operative clause. The operative clause, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." stands on its own. The prefatory clause merely states a purpose for protecting the right. The Bill of Rights applies to all individuals. If the intent was to guarantee the militia the right to bear arms the amendment would have been worded differntly such as:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of militia members to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Instead it states the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The constitution does not grant us the right, rather it prohibits the government from infringing on the right that we already possess.[/quote]
When you are appointed to SCOTUS I'll pay attention to your interpretation.

I'll say again, your "right" to a gun is only a scotus decision away from saying bye bye. Much like owning slaves, your "right" can easily be eliminated. By court or vote...and we are adding more voters to our side, than Fox News and the NRA can create. 25 years and guns will be have the stigma of a colostomy bag.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:51 PM

37,440 posts, read 61,337,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The court understands.

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
A judge who understands the US Constitution, wow

Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 PM

631 posts, read 748,681 times
^ You're never going to convince Floyd or any of them of anything.

These people would do much better in Australia or Sweden.

Last edited by znlwovuhrjw; 03-11-2015 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 05:03 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,746,092 times
I object to losing my constitutional rights every time I enter some place that is private, and for that matter, government property. If I am trusted with a gun outside on the side walk why not in a courthouse, a private store or on an airplane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine