U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,853,127 times

Advertisements

I'm in Vermont right now and there is a very strong "local fresh products" thing here so even the big Shaw's carry many local products including eggs from local farms....the taste diference is amazing, worth the extra cost from folks like Forest IMHO. The local yogurt and cheeses is awesome too.

In Maine we also shop at Shaw's, the discount card does save money. I think prices in general are similar to most places around the country.

Milk prices have gone up abit which I think is great since for the first time in many years dairy farmers are being paid enough to actually make a profit. Before this recent price increase farmers were paid the same price/lb(wholesale milk is in lbs) from the processors as they got 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:02 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,815,601 times
We have an IGA in town, the "Milo Farmers Union". It's a small store but I find them handy. Hannaford's is where I go for the monthly shopping, as well as picking up whatever specials Shaw's has that I can use. I tend to try to stock up on sale items that will last a long time. I buy potatos 50 lb.s at a time, and freeze or can what I can. Sadly we're almost out of frozen apples and applesauce, next year I'll do at least 3 bushels.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:16 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,013,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We have an IGA in town, the "Milo Farmers Union". It's a small store but I find them handy. Hannaford's is where I go for the monthly shopping, as well as picking up whatever specials Shaw's has that I can use. I tend to try to stock up on sale items that will last a long time. I buy potatos 50 lb.s at a time, and freeze or can what I can. Sadly we're almost out of frozen apples and applesauce, next year I'll do at least 3 bushels.
Mmmm, home made apple sauce is sooo good. Even better when served with some skillet fried pork chops.

We had a very limited size garden this past year which we grew at my Aunts as we sold our place. We are now paying for it big time. Produce has gone through the roof this year (at least here in Central NH). Grapes almost $3 a pound, tomatoes $1.99, etc, etc. Twice what we're used to paying. We've been supplementing with frozen and canned store veggies. Definitely not the same.

I did manage to save one quart of peas (one of my favorites)from our garden. It's hidden in the bottom of the freezer and I will save for my birthday next Friday.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,975,189 times
P & L is a great small market, if you are cruising through Dexter anytime!

I'm glad to hear about Stop N Shop coming to Maine. A landmark mentioned in a classic song by Johnathan Richmond and the Modern Lovers...Roadrunner.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,933,280 times
Oh, my! I don't even buy tomatoes anymore. They're $2.87/lb here and have been for some time. I good sale nowadays is $1.99/lb. It's rediculous!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 PM

874 posts, read 1,634,990 times
Not up to a list like yours. Where is that grocery receipt? LOL But I do know I spent anywhere from 3.69 to 4.90 for a gallon of milk this week. 3.69 was Simley's brand at the gas station down the street that has a low low milk prices sign out front. The 4.90 was at Shaw's for Oakhurst milk. I got the Nutrish kind with probiotics 1 1/2% milk which is usually a bit more at Hannafords but I believe all the Oakhurst milk was priced the same today at Shaw's. Shaws had Garelick (sp?) brand on sale for 3.90ish but but but... the were sold out accept for a few gallons of whole milk. With 9 people in the family and living in a city where I don't have to drive as much I can actually spend more on milk in a week than I do on gas. Yikes!

Oh, but (and I rarely shop at Shaws so I didn't know this) the amount I spent at Shaws today got me a coupon for .20 off per gallon for one fill up of gas. Not bad. If I had known tha I would have gone for e the salmon instead of the tilapia. Oh well.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,933,280 times
Gen, how much was the tilapia? I just bought a 12 oz. bag of frozen wild salmon for $3.00 on sale. I thought that was a great deal. We love it grilled.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:59 PM

874 posts, read 1,634,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Gen, how much was the tilapia? I just bought a 12 oz. bag of frozen wild salmon for $3.00 on sale. I thought that was a great deal. We love it grilled.
i think it was about 4.99 lb. The wild salmon was 7.99 on sale. 9.99 was the regular price.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:10 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,853,127 times
If you buy Oakhurst milk your supporting local Maine dairy farmers.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
P & L is a great small market, if you are cruising through Dexter anytime!

I'm glad to hear about Stop N Shop coming to Maine. A landmark mentioned in a classic song by Johnathan Richmond and the Modern Lovers...Roadrunner.
dmyankee, i'll second that, p&l country store is one of my fav. independent grocery stores!! its a nice clean store known for excellent meat and prices!!
(just 13 miles north of newport on the way to moosehead lake)

if you see a white haired stalky fella in the store (usually behind the meat conter) say hi to phil (the owner)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine