U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:39 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,495,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
LOL...I haven't heard that in years! Why can't our local birds lay white eggs anyway? Is this even true?

sigh...now that jingle is stuck in my head...who was the woman that sang that diddy?
I produce some brown eggs and some white eggs.

Our plan is to encorporate blue eggs into our product line.

Last night while cleaning and candling our eggs, I put a mixturs into all cartons. So each dozen that I sold today had a mixture of browns and whites. Next winter it will be a mixture of browns, whites and blues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,726,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
No, it's not true. I have blue and green egg layers. My main flock lays from dark brown to pale tan. Egg shell color is determined by genetics. I think Forest has white egg layers.
Blue and green eggs.. does this mean you just increase production for Easter?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Gees I hope not! I have to feed them year round and this breed already isn't an excellent layer. They better produce more than just Easter. They should start laying by the end of the month. When they do I'll take pics.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:26 AM

Steve's working this morning. Gotta make sure there's enough hog fuel to keep the mill running and chips to keep making pulp - tough times right now. Then he's coming back to get me. He thinks there's nothing to eat in the house. Forget two freezers in the basement, full cupboards, etc. There's nothing to eat. We'll do the monthly shopping trip this afternoon. I'll come back with the receipt to share here.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 AM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Last night while cleaning and candling our eggs, I put a mixturs into all cartons. So each dozen that I sold today had a mixture of browns and whites. Next winter it will be a mixture of browns, whites and blues.
When I get eggs from my local guy here in NC that is what I get... he only has one, I believe of the araucanas, though, so getting a blue egg is special.

He had taken his sign down last month, so I got out of the habit of reserving egg shopping for the Saturday mail run, and picked them up at the store in town... but I have seen the sign up the last two weeks, so hopefully I will remember this coming week, and can carry him the cartons I have been saving, and get real eggs again.

What time of the year do your chickens start picking up the level of production? I seem to remember ours slowing down massively with the longer nights, even though we turned lights on them for a bit in the evening...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
When I get eggs from my local guy here in NC that is what I get... he only has one, I believe of the araucanas, though, so getting a blue egg is special.

He had taken his sign down last month, so I got out of the habit of reserving egg shopping for the Saturday mail run, and picked them up at the store in town... but I have seen the sign up the last two weeks, so hopefully I will remember this coming week, and can carry him the cartons I have been saving, and get real eggs again.

What time of the year do your chickens start picking up the level of production? I seem to remember ours slowing down massively with the longer nights, even though we turned lights on them for a bit in the evening...
Our first year we got a dozen Rhode Island Reds.

The second year we got three dozen White LegHorns; and we tried all spring long to hatch chicks from our own eggs.

This coming spring we plan to get three dozen araucanas; and we will try again to hatch RR chicks from our own eggs.

I think that we are planning toward maintaining 3 dozen RRs, 3 dozen WLs, and 3 dozen Araucanas.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM

I had RI Reds, had a couple who wanted to set but never long enough to get a hatch. I heard, though, that folks sometimes kept banties just for their inclination to set... they'd steal the banty eggs and replace them with eggs from the Reds and the banty moms would do their thing.

Mostly, I guess, the real broodyness has been bred out of them. Or is it with an incubator you are having problems. I have never tried that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Our first year we got a dozen Rhode Island Reds.

The second year we got three dozen White LegHorns; and we tried all spring long to hatch chicks from our own eggs.

This coming spring we plan to get three dozen araucanas; and we will try again to hatch RR chicks from our own eggs.

I think that we are planning toward maintaining 3 dozen RRs, 3 dozen WLs, and 3 dozen Araucanas.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Asiago Wedge $8.99/lb
Cabot Cheddar for sandwiches $7.49/lb
Bumble Bee Sold White Tuna in Water $1.39
Canada Dry Gingerale 2 litr $1.34
Pesto (8 oz I think) $2.50
Cliff bar - $1.00
Cheerios big box $3.79
Hodgdon Whole Wheat Whole Grain spaghetti 1 lb $1.79
Hodgdon WW WG elbows 1 bl $1.69
Seadog Raspberry Wheat Ale $8.69/6 pk
Hannaford tomato sauce 8 oz .59
King Arthur flour, 25 lbs $12.89
Land O' Lakes Half N Half quart 2.99
Sorrento Mozzarella block $3.99/lb ($6/lb at the deli)
Stoneyfield all natural yogurt 3.59 quart (store brand was $1.19, not all natural)
Bananas .59/lb
Over ripe bananas .69/lb (? usually less expensive)
Braeburn apples $1.29/lb
Sweet Potatoes .99/lb
Jazz apples (from New Zealand, I didn't notice that til I read it on this slip) .99/lb
Sun dried tomatoes in oil, 8 oz jar $5.99

We seldom buy meat and vegetables so I can't be very helpful with that. I got a package of 8 cheddar brats, $3.19.

While I was looking for herbs ($16/lb!!!) I did notice a small head of iceburg lettuce that traveled 3,000 miles from CA (editorial added by locally-grown foodie) was $1.79. 6-7" cucumbers, waxed and wrinkled, .99 each. European cucumber, shrink wrapped, $2.49 each. Leeks were $4/lb.

While I was waiting for at the deli for cheese I took notes:
Tilapia, previously frozen $4.99
Haddock, previously frozen $8.49
Tuna steaks (they looked good) $8.99
Swordfish steaks $7.99
Land O Lakes American cheese, both colors $5.49
LOL Provolone $5.99 on sale
An imported ham $4.99/lb

The fish monger was on the side of the road in Calais. Fresh shrimp was $1.50/lb.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

The fish monger was on the side of the road in Calais. Fresh shrimp was $1.50/lb.
WHERE are they getting "fresh" shrimp this time of year?? our shrimp season is in the summer...

Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Sea Dog does a raspberry wheat? Gotta try me some o' that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine