Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,651 times

Advertisements

I'm a dedicated comparison-shopper and try to plan a regular route of all my favorite money-saving places every few weeks or so. Close to home I go to Hannaford's and WalMart most of the time. I lean towards organic, vegetarian, healthy stuff, but do buy good-quality poultry and eggs every so often. I can't afford the pricey "health food" places, except for raw herbs once in awhile.

Since I have to travel south nearly every week, I've gotten into the habit of packing along a cooler and bring back some great bargains from Stop N'Shop and Trader Joe's. Before I went to a Trader's I thought it must be some gimmicky, expensive granola store. To my surprise, they carry a great many wonderful grocery items at FABULOUS prices! Like, a pound of raw almonds for less than $6, and a giant jar of low-sugar blueberry jam for about $2.69 I think.
They carry all kinds of stuff from all over the world.

You can look up Trader Joe's online and email them to suggest a new location. I've been begging them to open a new store somewhere in the midcoast area but so far, no luck.

If you enjoy natural foods or just good groceries for low prices, you might want to email them also.
Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Contact Us

Nobody asked about beverages (?) but Yankee Liquors in MA is way cheaper than the NH or ME agency stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
It's shrimp season now. My husband's brother's been out for the last week. He scalloped before that.

Blueberry's good too. Apricot's my favorite.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,604,680 times
And for folks like me, slip into Canada and stock up on canned goods. Often their offbrand soups are 3 for a buck. Same size can as the average can of Campbell's. Can't beat it.

Never pass a Dollar Store without seeing what they have in canned goods. Cans of tuna are 60 cents and canned salmon is maybe a buck - but it's a really good size can and that stuff makes an awesome sandwich when prepared similarly to tuna. Canned hams are usually $2 or $2.50. If you drink sodas, you'll never find less expensive ones than at the Dollar Stores.

You'll pay less there for shampoo, laundry detergent, personal care items, canned items, hard candies and cookies. The canned cheese is less there than anywhere else. Prices vary from store to store and state to state. Never pass one without taking a look.

Only word of caution is don't buy toys there. I don't think anyone polices the recalled items.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Canned cheese? Somehow, that seems just...wrong.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,377,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Everything looks better when it sits on a Ritz!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Everything looks better when it sits on a Ritz!
Only if you top it off with a piece of pepperoni and heat it up a bit.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM

40 posts, read 97,872 times
Sadly we're almost out of frozen apples and applesauce, next year I'll do at least 3 bushels. [/quote]

Frozen apples....that's a new one for me....do u peel em....slice em?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Peel, core and slice apples into salted water,.. drain and put in freezer bags. I usually have apples for baking (pies etc.) all winter.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
I can't imagine having such overstock of apples to have any to freeze! We go through 6# a week - each 3# bag was $3.29 this week. My kids LOVE apples. I guess I need to look for some property with an apple tree or a nice neighbor with one!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 PM

El, I just go to the orchard in the fall and pick my own. Kids love apple picking, many places have hay rides and differant things going on during the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine