U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:54 PM

16 posts, read 20,457 times

Advertisements

1) Current City and State = Pittsburgh Pa

2) Why do you want to leave = Looking for a better quality of life, need to get away from the city

3) Where In Maine and Why = Augusta area, wife works for the VA, need to be close to Tongus.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = never really gave it much thought

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = waiting for the wife to finish grad school.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? =
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,559,938 times
Love this!! LOL

1) Current City and State = Bone Cave, TN - yes, it really exists!

2) Why do you want to leave = Triple digit summers really blow!

3) Where In Maine and Why = Eventually, Eastport. It reminds me soooo much of the island I grew up on. I miss salt air and seagulls and a small town where everyone knows everyone else. I miss that sense of community.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = There are other states??

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Last of our five kids is in her last year of high school and second year of nursing. She's engaged so we don't want to abandon her until she graduates.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Party at our house when we arrive!!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I was going to recommend Eastport, but unless IGA is your idea of "shopping nearby".. you way want to look elsewhere. Perhaps Bangor or Portland would be more your speed.
Shhh!!!! I'm claiming Eastport - stop giving it away to everyone else! LOL

Old 10-08-2010, 04:56 AM

279 posts, read 605,304 times
) Current City and State = Clayton, NC

2) Why do you want to leave = HEAT, CRIME, TRAFFIC, AMOUNT OF PEOPLE! Yes, I am screaming.

3) Where In Maine and Why = Gorham. My husband grew up there and we lived there together for 8 years.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = New Hampshire

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = $8000 tax credit

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = You dont realize what you left behind until you are gone. I miss the simplicity of Maine living. I do not miss the cold that much, but would rather have that than 7 months of hot weather.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 AM

57 posts, read 154,323 times
Current city and state: Western NY

Why do you want to leave? life changes, looking for rural, simpler self dependent living, and connecting with nature. Plus, I do not want to live in the area for ever. It is time to move on. Property Taxes are discousting here, and a lot of NYorkers are very rude people.

Where in ME and why? Aroostock Co, the rural area. Like to get to know Amish people and learn their ways. Also after inquiring about some other places, an inner instict is telling that is okay to go relocate to ME.

2nd and 3rd places, states? Alaska or Vermot

What is currently holding you back from moving? Need to establish the right contacts in ME in order to carry on with my plans. Until that is clear and safe then I like to get out of here ASAP.

Anything you want to tell us? Can wait to relocate to ME, I really feel strong about moving to ME.
I have the inner okay so that is how I know it is a good thing to do for me and my family.
NY is not cold enough for me.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 AM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,961 times
1) Current City and State = Auburn maine

2) Why do you want to leave = Auburn is not bad, but it is not "perfect" for me. I find myself still longing for something more.. A community with stability and better demographics.. You could do a LOT worse then Auburn... but hey I can dream cant I

3) Where In Maine and Why = Probably Kittery "area" acceptable property taxes with tax free shopping over the border.. boston is an hr away with all that has to offer and I am still an hour from my wifes family here in the L-A area. and many more reasons.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = 2nd Portsmith New Hampshire Area... 3rd... "Napa Valley California" (why not.. I am dreaming right)

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Work, kids in school, life, money..

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Nice Thread!! Somehow I missed this one! It's great to see ALL the people who want to call Maine home.. Please come.. we need you!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,047,784 times
1) Current City and State = Greenwich, CT

2) Why do you want to leave = High property costs for little acreage (in areas where jobs are plentiful), overcrowding, lack of mountains & unpolluted water. Maine has just the opposite!

3) Where In Maine and Why = Towns surrounding York, Kennebunkport, Freeport, or Rockland OR somewhere on/near MDI. I would like to be close to coastal areas with other young adults (ex Portland) or be close to Acadia NP.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = NH (Mt. Monadnock region, but property taxes are out of control), RI

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = My rental lease, very little savings, and lack of professional job openings along the coastline (outside of Portland)

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Someday the Maine business environment will change and the state will no longer "just" be Vacationland. I would like to arrive before the influx happens.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 AM

279 posts, read 605,304 times
Just another example of why I hate NC. I posted this thread on the NC forum and it was deleted because they did not see the purpose in it. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with others who are thinking of moving to NC. I really can't wait to get out of this state.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:05 PM

4,220 posts, read 4,437,218 times
1) Current City and State = Arlington, Va. (Northern Va., right outside DC)

2) Why do you want to leave = I am planning to move when I retire, I'm sooooooo tired of the congestion, high cost of everything, horrible heat and humidty. I LOVE cold weather, LOVE snow, yes, I know you get a lot. I lived in Vermont for many years so I know what a lot is.

3) Where In Maine and Why = Ideally, Brunswick/Bath area but am open to a little bit in either direction. I'd like to be within a short drive to water.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Nothing really.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = I'm about 4 years from retiring.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? =[/quote]

Old 10-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMaine2012 View Post
Just another example of why I hate NC. I posted this thread on the NC forum and it was deleted because they did not see the purpose in it. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with others who are thinking of moving to NC. I really can't wait to get out of this state.
LOL. Yeh, well, we all knew that Maine ROCKS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or