U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM

653 posts, read 1,678,138 times

Advertisements

is this the fact about lower taxes and much less expensive than Downeast ?.

Quote:
Camden/Rockport. Plus, it's in the midcoast...my taxes aren't high, and things are much less expensive here than Downeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 02:47 PM

121 posts, read 279,195 times
1) Current City and State= Santa Fe,New Mexico

2) Why do you want to leave= My city has lost its charm! Due to crime, urban sprawl, illegal immigrants and back-room politics.

3) Where in Maine and Why= Belfast or Blue Hill. My heart tells me this is where we would be happy.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place= Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy or Sorrento, Italy

5) What is currently holding you back from moving? = Selling our house

6) Anything else you want to tell us?= I have read this forum for all 50 states and all of you are BY FAR the nicest and most welcoming! The way most people talk about their states its a wonder anyone lives anywhere but Maine. ( but I'm glad they do). See you all soon. I can't wait to meet all the ya ya's.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,931,400 times
Midcoast is cheaper than Downeast? Really?? I've compared home prices and I can buy a decent fixer upper house in Easport area for $100K but not in the mid coast. Can you elaborate on that statement? Thanks!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM

3,094 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
El, if you want a good school system, you can't beat Camden/Rockport. Plus, it's in the midcoast...my taxes aren't high, and things are much less expensive here than Downeast. You should really think about it...also, low crime rate.

About the only thing cheaper in the Camden area is gasoline. Food prices are similar, property is cheaper downeast. Taxes, except for Eastport are cheaper. The roads are better the further east that you go...

Course, there's no work downeast... can't have everything.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
See you all soon. I can't wait to meet all the ya ya's.
Well if you move before I do, and your path takes you anywhere near the coast of NC, you will have crash space... at least stop by and say hi!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM

259 posts, read 1,152,203 times
[quote=SantaFeSisters;2487312]1) Current City and State= Santa Fe,New Mexico

2) Why do you want to leave= My city has lost its charm! quote]

Wow, there's a piece of news that I had not expected to encounter. Hey, what kind of house are you looking to sell?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:15 PM

121 posts, read 279,195 times
1) Starwalker, you got it! I would love to! But I am moving with 3 women and 6 cats, and that is just at last count. You would have to have alot of extra room. Maybe we could all meet for dinner. We'll definitely work something out.

2) Casual, Our house is great! Three bedroom, two bath, 2200 sq.ft., fireplace in the eat-in kitchen, gas stove and kiva fireplace in the 1000 sq.ft. family room. If I could move my house to Maine I would do it in a heart beat! Are you in the market?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:58 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,789,512 times
Real estate is less expensive downeast,,,but not much else is. I've lived in the midcoast all my life..I now have a house in Washington County. There is nothing there for kids...you have to drive for miles to do anything (unless you live right in town Eastport). It all depends on what you are looking for. We were really excited to move Downeast..only to be quite disappointed. it would be ideal for a retired couple, however.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
well there is always plenty of floor space... but that would make 4 women, possibly one very good, gentle man, 10 cats, 2 dogs and 5 birds. LOL How's your tolerance for slightly controlled chaos! LOL

I know I can cope... I once had 11 people staying (for more than a night, too!) in a 1 room and a loft cabin that was 16' x 20' and in the winter, no less! (helping a friend who had left her abusive spouse) and the amazing thing was, when we found a place for her on her own, we were all still friends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
1) Starwalker, you got it! I would love to! But I am moving with 3 women and 6 cats, and that is just at last count. You would have to have alot of extra room. Maybe we could all meet for dinner. We'll definitely work something out.

2) Casual, Our house is great! Three bedroom, two bath, 2200 sq.ft., fireplace in the eat-in kitchen, gas stove and kiva fireplace in the 1000 sq.ft. family room. If I could move my house to Maine I would do it in a heart beat! Are you in the market?

Old 01-12-2008, 05:17 PM

36 posts, read 183,151 times
1) Current City and State = East Providence, RI

2) Why do you want to leave = Looking for smaller town

3) Where In Maine and Why = Bangor area. Beautiful, close to the ocean, inexpensive real estate compared to RI and where I am originally from...CA!

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = 2nd is Wisconsin. 3rd is North Dakota

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Family in CA, moving there.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = I love Maine...wish I could be a Mainer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or