U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,088,096 times

Advertisements

Thank you all. I truly can't wait to be home again. The good Lord has blessed us with finding this site. Bydand has been so very helpful with pictures, newspapers and such that I can't say thank you enough. He and all of you on here have been such reminders of the wonderful people of Maine that I miss so very very much. NOT LONG NOW!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,570,950 times
1) Current City and State = Longmont, CO

2) Why do you want to leave = Girlfriend/Soulmate in ME

3) Where In Maine and Why = Mid-Coast, 'cuz she's in Camden

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = I wish she'd have chosen ID or MT...oh well, it's a long story

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = finances!! good job here with IBM, bad time to sell my house, and a U.S. recession is underway...oh, and just my 35+yrs of family and friends here in CO...

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Maine is beautiful, but it ain't Colorado....then again, Colorado ain't Maine...I believe I have myself what they call a ''conundrum"...

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 AM

177 posts, read 353,654 times
1) Current City and State = Silver Spring, MD

2) Why do you want to leave = cost of living too high here for wife to stay home with kids. but lets not forget the horrible: traffic, rudeness, summer climate, lack of real nature

3) Where In Maine and Why = Portland vicinity because it's a beautiful small city with lots to offer without those bad items listed above.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = none, but have looked at Burlington, VT

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = slow real estate market here.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = House should sell this spring, so we're already looking for homes there! very excited for this life change.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Hey lbcherokee! We're in Silver Spring and looking to move up in spring this year ('08) for some of the same reasons you listed. I hate it here in MD! good luck to ya.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:56 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
1) Current City and State = Silver Spring, MD
Hey there.

My SIL lives in Silver Spring MD.

She loves it there. The closeness to DC, the opera, the museums, the Civil Rights marches and Women's Rights marches. She is totally enthralled in that lifestyle.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Hey there.

My SIL lives in Silver Spring MD.

She loves it there. The closeness to DC, the opera, the museums, the Civil Rights marches and Women's Rights marches. She is totally enthralled in that lifestyle.

Hi Forest B-
we moved here from Seattle, WA 4.5 years ago for a job my wife got working for the CDC. I had been in Seattle my whole life, so i was excited for the change in scenery. Despite the great things DC did for both of our careers, it turns out that crime, sucking fumes, road rage drivers, and horrific humidity ain't my bag.

I should say that there are some things that I like here - there is tons to see/do in DC. I love the April cherry blossoms, art museums, and the rallys can, indeed, be interesting to watch. but for the most part, i feel that i need to get my family out of here while my kids are young and take them somewhere that values family and community like Maine seems to.

We vacationed to New England for the fall foliage 3 years ago (from Seattle, i didn't know colors in nature could be so bright), and we both really enjoyed the few days we had in Portland and so we've visited many times since. very family friendly, it seems. Many parks, good schools, community, and friendly people. I don't think i could move to the boonies, so Portland seems to be a nice happy medium (sort of like a small Seattle without the cloudiness).

Old 01-25-2008, 01:32 PM

38,428 posts, read 18,188,727 times
More and more of us have our hearts and minds set on Portland! See you around the old port. )

Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
More and more of us have our hearts and minds set on Portland! See you around the old port. )
Hi elston - where are you moving from? have you started looking at houses around portland? we're heading up in 2 weeks to see a few homes -- let's hope the interest rates keep dropping!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:05 PM

38,428 posts, read 18,188,727 times
I live in southern california but moved here 5 years ago from the lakes region of NH where I had lived for more than 24 years. I have roots in several NE states, including Maine.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
Hi Forest B-
we moved here from Seattle, WA 4.5 years ago for a job my wife got working for the CDC. I had been in Seattle my whole life, so i was excited for the change in scenery. Despite the great things DC did for both of our careers, it turns out that crime, sucking fumes, road rage drivers, and horrific humidity ain't my bag. ...
We spent a few years in Bremerton Washington, I was on one sub in the shipyard and then rode a sub homeported at Subase Bangor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or