U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM

177 posts, read 353,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We spent a few years in Bremerton Washington, I was on one sub in the shipyard and then rode a sub homeported at Subase Bangor.

Great area. My parents retired to Oak Harbor, a military town just north of Bremerton. One of my Seatter summer activities was to ride the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton and back just for the rays and views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:45 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,141,538 times
19 posts deleted for off topic when the original topic is about as simple and straightforward as can be? Geez!

Let's stick to the topic of the thread, folks. Members who wish to discuss other topics have the option of starting a new thread, or taking more personal issues to the Direct Message system.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 AM

934 posts, read 932,663 times
1) Current City and State = wake forest nc

2) Why do you want to leave = too many people, reasons I myself don't quite understand- just...need a change

3) Where In Maine and Why = don't know- give me suggestions!

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = ?

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = ?

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = I want a place with people as friendly as me. I want somewhere that the locals are glad to tell you the best spots to eat or find a deal and will come over for a cup of coffee in the morning unexpectedly (love drop in company!), I want someplace that is beautiful and quaint, but still has shopping nearby. I want a place where i can toss my kids out the door and not worry about them ( ok, so I DO have that where I am now, but I want it in our new town as well! lol)...I want a neighbor that will tell me what plants grow best up there (because what I can grow here in NC is probably different than ME!)...

I know thats wordy (what do you expect from a writer) but thats about as good as I can sum it up....

Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 PM

38 posts, read 205,216 times
Default I want an Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Eh, I borrowed this from the Colorado forum. Thought that it would be interesting here as well...

1) Current City and State =

2) Why do you want to leave =

3) Where In Maine and Why =

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =

6) Anything else you want to tell us? =

1. Current City and State- Clayhole, Kentucky, Thats 30 minues from anywhere just up Larkin Hollar
2. Why do I want to leave- My job is ending and this and this isn't home anyway. Home really is Hickory, NC
3. Where in Maine and Why- Unity, ME to attend college
4. 2nd and 3rd place states- NC, no 3rd place
5. Whats currently holding you back from moving- Job and school doesn't start till August.
6. Anything else you want to tell us- I can't wait to get there and view Maine for the first time (Early march for a visit) and when I move there I promise to not start sentences with "back where i come from" but if I happen to have a brain fart and do it anyway I ask for forgiveness in advance

Old 02-02-2008, 06:55 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,726,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
1) Current City and State = wake forest nc

2) Why do you want to leave = too many people, reasons I myself don't quite understand- just...need a change

3) Where In Maine and Why = don't know- give me suggestions!

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = ?

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = ?

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = I want a place with people as friendly as me. I want somewhere that the locals are glad to tell you the best spots to eat or find a deal and will come over for a cup of coffee in the morning unexpectedly (love drop in company!), I want someplace that is beautiful and quaint, but still has shopping nearby. I want a place where i can toss my kids out the door and not worry about them ( ok, so I DO have that where I am now, but I want it in our new town as well! lol)...I want a neighbor that will tell me what plants grow best up there (because what I can grow here in NC is probably different than ME!)...

I know thats wordy (what do you expect from a writer) but thats about as good as I can sum it up....

I was going to recommend Eastport, but unless IGA is your idea of "shopping nearby".. you way want to look elsewhere. Perhaps Bangor or Portland would be more your speed.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM

371 posts, read 1,630,204 times
1) Current City and State = San Luis Obispo, CA

2) Why do you want to leave = I've wanted to move back to the east coast for just about all my life. I lived in upstate NY for a year when I was 19 years old and loved my time there. It's very crowded here in CA, obviously, and very expensive to live. My wife and I would probably never be able to buy a house here. not that we'd want to, because we both love the snow and diverse weather that doesn't exist here.

3) Where In Maine and Why = Probably Portland first, then maybe somewhere more rural after we got into the swing of things. I like what I've heard and seen about Portland, smaller, urban city, on the coast so the weather might be a bit tamer.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = New Hampshire... not really a third.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = My wife is in school to be an RN, so as soon as she's done with that we're outta here!

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Who am I speaking to? If I'm speaking to those living in Maine, I really look forward to checking out your neck of the woods. I grew up in the country as a kid (northern CA, southern Oregon) and I suppose I've always been discontent in the city. I want land, peace and quiet, a shop to work in, a truck to beat up, and plenty of hard work.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 PM

255 posts, read 596,636 times
1) Current City and State = Salt Lake City, UT

2) Why do you want to leave = Because everything I've discovered so far about Maine is perfect for my husband and I. We have lived here over 14 years and never felt at home at all.

3) Where In Maine and Why = Prob midcoast to southern Maine, nothing specific yet still many variables to figure out with the lifestyle we wish to pursue.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Maine. Our 2nd choice would be PEI as in Prince Edward Island. But thats a little tricky since were not Canadian

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Many things: financial, house market, recession on the horizon, health issues, family here, distance, mapping out our future more

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = Maine is in my thoughts every day, I dream of the day we will make it there and can call it home, along with all the wonderful people on this forum I've met in such a short time already

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM

46 posts, read 124,892 times
1) Current City and State = Atlanta GA

2) Why do you want to leave = I'm to familiar with it. I've lived here for 15 years and there ain't much to it. Not even the ocean. The ocean would sort of make up for it but - eh. And the people! Oh the annoying people. Don't get me started.

3) Where In Maine and Why = Portland. Ever since I saw pictures of Portland online and started reading up on it and doing my research it just seems like a really nice, bustling (but not grossly overpopulated) place that hasn't been overrun by the masses...yet. People like me might be contributing to that in the future

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States = Raleigh, NC. Don't ask me why, I've never even been there, just heard things. I don't have a 3rd choice. The 3rd would probably be Canada

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving = Lack of funding. Lack of sureness-of-oneself.

6) Anything else you want to tell us? = mommiewrites pretty much said it for me. A place just like that. I'm a writer too (yeah, who isn't?) and when I see Portland I get in a writerly mood. Maybe I'm just a dreamer. Still. Maine, here I come!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:57 PM

276 posts, read 700,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Eh, I borrowed this from the Colorado forum. Thought that it would be interesting here as well...

1) Current City and State =

2) Why do you want to leave =

3) Where In Maine and Why =

4) 2nd and 3rd Place States =

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving =

6) Anything else you want to tell us? =
1. New Smyrna Beach, FL

2. I hate Florida (hence the name). I am sick of heat, humidity, crime, sprawl et al (in much the same way that I was sick of living in CA and MD). I was caring for my elderly mother who passed away three weeks ago and she is now buried with my dad at Arlington National Cemetery near DC. My task here is now complete. I desperately need a change.

3. I really would like to live in upstate Maine far away from populated areas. I love the natural environment and the opportunity to live a simple life. As a writer and educator, I prefer peace and quiet.

4. Rural KY, NC, VT

5. As usual, the problem is employment. I have two MA degrees, but there appears to be no need for educators. Moreover, I am over 50 which has resulted in further difficulty in acquiring employment. However, I am going to try again in obtaining a job in Maine. I wish that I could have one hit novel and be self sufficient.

Incidentally, to all of those from FL, MD and CA, I don't blame you for wanting to relocate. I just returned home after my mom's funeral in Rockville, MD and burial at Arlington. The traffic was horrible, and the old town that I grew up in has just grown into just another DC metro sprawl center with no independent identity. I wish all of you good luck in relocating. Be assured, I understand completely!!! Maine is great!!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
3. I really would like to live in upstate Maine far away from populated areas. I love the natural environment and the opportunity to live a simple life. As a writer and educator, I prefer peace and quiet.

5. As usual, the problem is employment. I have two MA degrees, but there appears to be no need for educators. Moreover, I am over 50 which has resulted in further difficulty in acquiring employment.
Being how you want to live in Northern Maine (Upstate is in New York ) and being an educator, have you tried the University of Maine in Presque Isle orU.M. Fort Kent. There is also Northern Maine Community College in Presque Isle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or