U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:59 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times

Advertisements

Acadianlion, you forgot the laser radar units out there now as well. I found that the only real useful thing a laser radar detector is for is to let you know to pull over because you have a ticket waiting for you in that cruiser that just pulled out. Last ticket I got was a LONG time ago, and I found it cheaper to just slow down than it was to keep buying the latest detectors, then still having to pay a speeding fine because the cops were one step ahead again in a little while; thus making a trip to the store to get the newest detector yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Funniest time ever getting pulled over for speeding was with my sister. She came out to Maine for a visit, during which time we headed down to Bangor for a day. On the way down she insisted on driving, so away we went. Got on the freeway in Houlton and she proceeded in trying to break the land speed record with her little 280ZX, I told her to slow it down because the ticket was going to be horrendous when we got pulled over. Sure enough a couple of miles South of Medway, the blueies started to dance in the rearview mirror and a State Trooper pulled her over. Well she whips out her license which she kept in her badge holder (she being a cop back home) and hands the whole thing to the Trooper. He takes everything back to his car and she confidently states that he is probably checking if it was a legit badge and LEO ID, at which point he will just come back and let her go because "Cops don't write other cops speeding tickets." About a minute or two later the Trooper comes back and hands her the insurance, registration, and ID holder back along with a speeding ticket for 25 over. She gets all upset and tells the guy that she wouldn't have written him a ticket, and I about died laughing when his response was "In that case, you wouldn't be doing your job very well then officer!" He then let her know that he did drop it below criminal speeding so he didn't have to arrest her just as professional courtesy. She is still PO'ed 15 years later. LOL.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:21 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,443,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Acadianlion, you forgot the laser radar units out there now as well. I found that the only real useful thing a laser radar detector is for is to let you know to pull over because you have a ticket waiting for you in that cruiser that just pulled out. Last ticket I got was a LONG time ago, and I found it cheaper to just slow down than it was to keep buying the latest detectors, then still having to pay a speeding fine because the cops were one step ahead again in a little while; thus making a trip to the store to get the newest detector yet again.
Yes, Laser...I did forget. Laser was just becoming THE choice for speed enforcement when I stopped travelling large miles for a living...that was 1990. I stopped carrying a radar detector in my car shortly before and just slowed down a bit.

After I "retired" the first time, I bought a Porsche 928, which was a car that I had always wanted to own. The car was an absolutely pristine example, about seven or eight years old, and the previous owner (an orthodontist from Massachusetts) had had a very expensive radar detector installed. It worked VERY well.

Driving the car home from the New Hampshire dealer where I bought the car, I was passing through Belfast, when I met a state trooper coming toward me.
He waited until he was about a hundred feet and then he lit up my car with his radar gun, and the detector went off VERY LOUD, and I almost went up through the sunroof. I didn't know the damned thing was on. I was ten below the limit.

A few miles further along, I got lit up again, when a cruiser met me not far from the Bucksport bridge, and almost exactly two miles further, I met anothe cruiser, and he did exactly the same thing. I was ten below the limit each time.....

Not long after that, I was stopped in Ellsworth one morning, parked on Maine street with no cars in front or behind. An Ellsworth cruiser was driving down Main Street, and the officer painted my car with his radar, grinned foolishly at me as he went by, and waved. (I knew the officer slightly from the gym that I went to.)

After that, EVERY time I drove through Ellsworth and met an Ellsworth cruiser, they would lite me up like a Christmas tree. One time I stopped at the Dunkin' Donuts on my way out of town. I had "met" one of Ellsworth's cruisers and had been painted on High Street, although I was not speeding. He turned in to the parking lot, and as I was walking back toward my car he said, "You were three under the limit back there, you know!"

I was VERY careful with that car. There were many other "hot" cars in Ellsworth at the time, but they seemed to like mine. Never got a ticket, though.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
I think they just wanted to get a good look at your car,...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:08 AM

5,054 posts, read 10,931,400 times
That's funny! The night I drove our new car home, I pulled into Sonic to get a drink and the chief of police was standing there talking to someone in the walk-up area. He walked over to me, scared me to death, I couldn't figure out what the heck I'd done sitting still. He walked up to the window and said, "Hi there! I just wanted to get a closer look at your new Jag! Nice!!"

I was relieved.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:39 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,541,357 times
I used to be a little lead-footed back in the day. Early one morning my sister and bil and I were headed up to the island. We were trying to catch the 7am boat over. They met me in Topsham at 4am, and my sister asked me to drive her car knowing we only had 3 hours to make it to Stonington and my driving habits being what they were, we were sure to make the boat. We were headed up 95 north towards Augusta to take Rt 3 over to Belfast. I was pulled over just before the exit. The officer asked for the usual documents, I handed over my license etc. He came back and asked why I wasn't wearing my glasses as my license states whatever that restriction code is. I explained to him that I had recently had lasik surgery done and no longer needed to wear glasses. He wouldn't let it go, asking my sister if she could drive. She had to explain that she and I had both had the surgery done together, therefore she too was in the same position. The officer seriously was not going to let either she nor myself drive off as our licenses stated that we both wore corrective lenses and neither of us could produce them. He then pointed to the bil in the back seat, asking him if he held a "valid" license. BIL advised the officer that indeed he did. (meanwhile we're thinking we're never going to make the boat at this point)
BIL gets behind the wheel, no speeding ticket was issued. He drives as far as the junction of Rt 3 and pulls over and I took over - we're now running extremely late (The Isle Au Haut mail boat waits for nobody)
End of story - we made it - screaming down onto the dock just as they're about to throw the lines!

(Apologies to everyone on RT's 3, 1 and 15 that day, yes, that was me)

Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM

134 posts, read 458,822 times
I am getting ready to be in Maine again for the 3rd time in less than a year. I have lived in Germany (retired U.S. Air Force) since 1999 and think nothing of doing 100+ mph (here) so as soon as I pick up my rental car in Bangor and start heading up I95 to Houlton I always have to set my cruise and then feel like I am crawling. I used to know the normal places the cruisers would sit in between the interstate but over the years it has changed some as I believe they have airplanes now and their seems to be less of them out there (in northern Maine). Knock on wood, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in the states in a long time. Here in Germany they have speed cameras. Some are fixed and some are portable and they move them around. You don't know until it is too late and you see a flash as it just took your picture and it will be showing up in your mailbox with the fine. Financially it makes sense to go this route but not hoping they implement it in Maine any time soon. ;-)

Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
A state trooper had someone stopped on Rt 1 in Princeton late this afternoon. No light bar or wig wags on the car, just a light on her side of the dashboard. I didn't look to see if it was marked or unmarked, I was looking for deer instead.

Gees, cops never stop me to see my 11 year old SUV. I don't understand.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
There are two "modern" inventions that have made radar detectors in automobiles worthless. The first one is the newer, "instant on" radar that police use. Since the radar doesn't even send out a detection signal until the unit is either triggered manually, or by motion sensor, by the time the radar detector has detected the radar, the speeder is already in the bag.
I can attest to that!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:19 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,460,346 times
I confess that I have been stopped repeatedly by law enforcement. It was only clear in one instance why I was stopped. Something about my tag light being out and no citation given. I was stopped by the same officer about a week later, in just about the same location. I handed him my DL and he asked, "Didn't I stop you last week for speeding through here?" I told him, "No, it was for a tag light being out. I fixed it." He handed my DL back to me and told me to have a nice day.

I have been stopped on a dozen other occasions, by different officers, different locations, for no apparent reason. I am convinced that officers run tags before they pull a car over and those that come back to a woman's name - and only a woman's name - are targeted by single officers hoping to pick up a date. I'm absolutely convinced of it.

I'd be interested in hearing another viable explanation for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or