U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:40 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
A state trooper had someone stopped on Rt 1 in Princeton late this afternoon. No light bar or wig wags on the car, just a light on her side of the dashboard. I didn't look to see if it was marked or unmarked, I was looking for deer instead.
She was in Waite yesterday. The car is marked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,443,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I confess that I have been stopped repeatedly by law enforcement. It was only clear in one instance why I was stopped. Something about my tag light being out and no citation given. I was stopped by the same officer about a week later, in just about the same location. I handed him my DL and he asked, "Didn't I stop you last week for speeding through here?" I told him, "No, it was for a tag light being out. I fixed it." He handed my DL back to me and told me to have a nice day.

I have been stopped on a dozen other occasions, by different officers, different locations, for no apparent reason. I am convinced that officers run tags before they pull a car over and those that come back to a woman's name - and only a woman's name - are targeted by single officers hoping to pick up a date. I'm absolutely convinced of it.

I'd be interested in hearing another viable explanation for it.
I suppose anything is possible. This is the first time I have ever heard of a single woman thinking that she was being cruised by single police officers, and I find it a bit hard to believe. Perhaps it depends on where you live and where you are being stopped.

Here in Maine, the State Troopers who are on patrol have such a large territory to cover and relatively little time to do it in, are usually moving pretty fast. IF they pull someone over for speeding, they make VERY sure that they have a "good bust" because they will have to go to court to make their case, and sometimes the only date that they can get is a day that they have time off. They do not want to waste a day off in a useless exercise in court, so when a State Trooper pulls someone over, it is usually a done deal.

Now the local police operate differently, and have a smaller territory as well as different priorities in their job descriptions. But to note a license plate and then call it in in order to chat with some woman? An officer has to log everyone he stops, so if he stops to chat with you, he needs to justify it somehow. Eventually, a watch supervisor would probably wonder why he was spending so much time by the side of the road with no citations issued.

It is also not easy to read license plate numbers unless one is pretty close to them, and almost impossible when two cars are passing in opposite directions. It is easy to see the color of the inspection tag in Maine which is on the windshield, and sometimes easy to not the color for expired plate stickers, but actually read, note and then call in the number? Pretty tough.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:17 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post

Here in Maine, the State Troopers who are on patrol have such a large territory to cover and relatively little time to do it in, are usually moving pretty fast. IF they pull someone over for speeding, they make VERY sure that they have a "good bust" because they will have to go to court to make their case, and sometimes the only date that they can get is a day that they have time off. They do not want to waste a day off in a useless exercise in court, so when a State Trooper pulls someone over, it is usually a done deal.

It is also not easy to read license plate numbers unless one is pretty close to them, and almost impossible when two cars are passing in opposite directions. It is easy to see the color of the inspection tag in Maine which is on the windshield, and sometimes easy to not the color for expired plate stickers, but actually read, note and then call in the number? Pretty tough.
State Troopers do not need to appear in court for traffic stops unless the offendent contests the ticket. If that was the case then they would constantly be in court-in many different counties-which would be absolutely ridiculous.

I can read license plates fairly easily up to 75 feet if I am driving behind someone. So can a cop. Maybe they don't run plates in small town Maine but I bet that they do in the larger cities. It's just one of those things that city cops do. The last I checked you cannot get pulled over for having an expired or missing inspection sticker. I might be wrong on that, so don't take it as fact.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The last I checked you cannot get pulled over for having an expired or missing inspection sticker. I might be wrong on that, so don't take it as fact.
Why Not? If it is the law to have an inspection ticket Why won't they pull you over? They used to, I know , my Dad used to put a Maine Vacationland sticker over the area that the inspection stickers went to try and fool the police into thinking it was the inspection sticker. It just doesn't make sense to me why you would not get pulled over for that

Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
yes, you can get stopped for the inspection sticker. Some officers are more likely to do this than others....but sooner or later someone will get you for it In general there's a 30 day "grace" period, after that all bets are off. I heard a rumor one time that someone's car had been towed due to an outdated sticker, but it was my conclusion from the story that the car was in really bad shape and had no working driver's seat belt. I don't know if that's true or not

Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
OK, my bad. I have not been stopped in Maine. These all occurred in another state and usually late at night (the peril of working night shift) and there was no inspection sticker because cars are not inspected in the subject state. And yes, I was aware of a police cruiser getting very close, then falling back, and then a few minutes later turning on their light bar.

While I can't claim that I am always in a late model vehicle, whatever I drive is always in good repair, no dents or scratches or other visible flaws and I don't have a lead foot. The posted speed limit is just fine with me no matter where or what it is.

Typical of the exchanges are:
Q - Do you know why I stopped you?
A - No.
(looks at DL, proof of insurance, registration)
Q - Where you headed
A - Home (or work)
Q - Where you coming from?
A - Work (or home)
Q - Where do you work?
A - (tell where I work)
Q - What do you do there?
A - (tell him my job title)
Q - Hmm, OK. Well, everything looks in order, have a nice day

These stops did not occur in rapid succession but were spread out over several years. The conversation was always the same, shooting the breeze kind of stuff. In all of them, mine was the only car on the road, literally. And it wasn't always the same road.

I am open to suggestions.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,443,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
State Troopers do not need to appear in court for traffic stops unless the offendent contests the ticket. If that was the case then they would constantly be in court-in many different counties-which would be absolutely ridiculous.

True enough, and even more reason why their "busts" had better be good ones. I have contested tickets in Maine and Massachusetts, and am 1 for three in Maine, and 2 for 2 in Mass. In each case the police were very nice about showing up, and the one in Maine, was the time the deputy sherrif didn't show at all.

I can read license plates fairly easily up to 75 feet if I am driving behind someone. So can a cop. Maybe they don't run plates in small town Maine but I bet that they do in the larger cities. It's just one of those things that city cops do. The last I checked you cannot get pulled over for having an expired or missing inspection sticker. I might be wrong on that, so don't take it as fact.
Probably so. And having an expired inspection sticker certainly will get you pulled over, IF the officer has the time and inclination to do that. IF the sticker isn't terribly out of date, usually they'll give a warning. I got pulled over for an expired sticker while I was on the way to the inspection station having just put the plow truck on the road for the winter. No citation, but when I went back the way I came, the trooper was still there, and I noticed that he looked at my truck VERY closely as I went by. I waved.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Probably so. And having an expired inspection sticker certainly will get you pulled over, IF the officer has the time and inclination to do that. IF the sticker isn't terribly out of date, usually they'll give a warning. I got pulled over for an expired sticker while I was on the way to the inspection station having just put the plow truck on the road for the winter. No citation, but when I went back the way I came, the trooper was still there, and I noticed that he looked at my truck VERY closely as I went by. I waved.
Well, I did say that I could be wrong.....

I do know, at least in Cumberland County, that you can go through the entire registration process without showing proof that your car passed inspection-let alone that it was ever inspected at all. It seems backwards that a state (county?) would allow to register a vehicle to be legally allowed on the road, but at the same time not fully being legal until it passes inspection.

If you can legally be pulled over for the sole reason of an expired/missing inspection sticker, then logic would dictate that you need to show proof of such before you can fully register your vehicle.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
OK, my bad. I have not been stopped in Maine. These all occurred in another state and usually late at night (the peril of working night shift) and there was no inspection sticker because cars are not inspected in the subject state. And yes, I was aware of a police cruiser getting very close, then falling back, and then a few minutes later turning on their light bar.

While I can't claim that I am always in a late model vehicle, whatever I drive is always in good repair, no dents or scratches or other visible flaws and I don't have a lead foot. The posted speed limit is just fine with me no matter where or what it is.

Typical of the exchanges are:
A - No.
Q - Where you headed
A - Home (or work)
Q - Where you coming from?
A - Work (or home)
Q - Where do you work?
A - (tell where I work)
Q - What do you do there?
A - (tell him my job title)
Q - Hmm, OK. Well, everything looks in order, have a nice day

These stops did not occur in rapid succession but were spread out over several years. The conversation was always the same, shooting the breeze kind of stuff. In all of them, mine was the only car on the road, literally. And it wasn't always the same road.

I am open to suggestions.
Suggested sequence of Q&A:

A - No.
Q - Where you headed
A - I'm sorry, do you have a valid reason for detaining me or am I free to go?

The sequence you describe is a violation of your Constitutional Rights. If more than one officer in a particular area has behaved in this manner it may be indicative of departmentally condoned behavior, and as such may be evidence of a violation of Chapter 241 of Title 18 of The United States Code, a federal felony.

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so securedó

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

US CODE: Title 18,241. Conspiracy against rights

• Section 241 of Title 18 is the civil rights conspiracy statute. Section 241 makes it unlawful for two or more persons to agree together to injure, threaten, or intimidate a person in any state, territory or district in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him/her by the Constitution or the laws of the Unites States, (or because of his/her having exercised the same). Unlike most conspiracy statutes, Section 241 does not require that one of the conspirators commit an overt act prior to the conspiracy becoming a crime.

The offense is punishable by a range of imprisonment up to a life term or the death penalty, depending upon the circumstances of the crime, and the resulting injury, if any.

18 USC 241

Old 01-16-2008, 01:25 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Suggested sequence of Q&A:

A - No.
Q - Where you headed
A - I'm sorry, do you have a valid reason for detaining me or am I free to go?

The sequence you describe is a violation of your Constitutional Rights. If more than one officer in a particular area has behaved in this manner it may be indicative of departmentally condoned behavior, and as such may be evidence of a violation of Chapter 241 of Title 18 of The United States Code, a federal felony.

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so securedó
The key term is "two or more persons." I was stopped by a single officer in a single cruiser in all but one of the instances. The one that said "I thought you might be drunk" was in the company of another officer in another cruiser. The second officer never got out of his vehicle and pulled into a parking space of the parking lot I pulled into. It was only after I continued on my way that the second officer got out of his cruiser and joined the first one. I do use my mirrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or